Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ask me Anything about going Pro!

Thank you for the response, Raina!
    I can still find dawn,
    Upon the days horizon,
    And I can find the stars,
    So my night is ever brightened.
    T U M B L R I N S T A G R A M F A C E B O O K

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    thanks for the cool question

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebekah.fish's Avatar
    Add Rebekah.fish on Facebook
    When u got ur first silicone tail, we're u nervous about spending the money? And was it worth it? Those tails are a big expensive step!

Well since it pretty much launched my business into what it is now yeah it was worth it I fundraised the money for my first tail along with savings . its always hard to make a big expensive purchase but yes it was worth it. Ive never regret money I spent on mermaid business

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebekah.fish's Avatar
    Add Rebekah.fish on Facebook
    Thank you! )

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    How long did you practice for before you got your first professional tail?
    Formerly known as ireneho

I personally don't break character. Even in my silicone tails there are kids who insist I am not real. So I tell them "It's ok, I understand it's hard to believe, you don't have to believe I'm real. But it's alot more fun if you pretend I am." That has never failed to stop them from the pursuit to prove I'm not real, and almost always start going along with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebekah.fish View Post
    Okay thanks so much! Do you think having more realistic silicon ones are worth it for those cases? I'd like to thinks so but it's a hard call because they cost so much!

Very nice of you to do this thread Raina!

Which one would you consider professional? I had my fabric for one year, then my mertailor close to 3 before I could afford my merbellas. But it wasn't a case of practice so much as needing money for a better tail. I was terrible in all my tails until I got my merbellas. It took about 3-4 swims to get good with it. I swam with raven once and practically sat on her head 3 times I was so bad.

To be honest I don't think my swimming got to a good skill until I had my merbellas 2 years, and it's taken until now for me to learn tricks that most mers pick up fast.
    But you gotta remember I have chronic pain, illness, and mobility issues. Everyone is different

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Thanks! I wasn't asking for myself. I was just curious if you ever had a simple practice tail like some of us do.
    Formerly known as ireneho

I contract all my girls. But it's sort of a mix of both because we insure them and adhere them to company policies (contract laws are a bit diff in Canada) . But basically they work for me and I do not put limits on them working for them self so long as they dont' do anything that would compromise our company vision in our company's name. (so haha I wouldnt hire a girl again if she went off and did a gig for an oil company lol)

I'm actually a Canadian, so Canadian answers are perfect Do you provide T4A's, or are they expected to self-report their taxes?

These are the questions that float through my brain at tax time.

currently they self report their taxes, but as we won the adp grant we also get their payroll services so I'll be able to do up T4s. but I dont take off taxes so they have to do it themselves.

if you're canadian, just self report whatever mermaid income you make, and also claim everything you spend if you make under 30,000$ from mermaiding, you'll get it all back so it's in your best interest to report the income

What activities do you tend to do at pool parties? I have a pool party for a 4 and 5 year old coming up, and I'm just curious what I should do!
    Formerly known as Savannah Staver

In your book you mentioned going to mixers to find possible connections. Could you elaborate a bit more? Like how did you find it and get in, how do you let people know what you, and did you meet anyone helpful?

subscribing specifically to business networks, they tend to be regional in your community, schools, and through entrepreneur support groups. It's hard to be specific because it's very specific to where you live. But they're everywhere!

Hello!

I hope this is still open to ask.
    How much was your Mertailor tail and how old was it?
    I am currently thinking about getting a used FinFolk. Someone before her already used it, but it is in good shape. How much would you charge, if the original price was $3.450? She doesn't know what to charge.

Thank you for your time!
    Last edited by Mermaid Miradis; 07-16-2016 at 10:20 AM. Reason: additional info about current situation :)

it was over $1000 6 years ago