Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's up with the homepage?

What's up with the homepage?

I woke up and there was something going on for ages about Syria...this isn't only me, right?

Senior Member Pod of New England Echinacea's Avatar
    Add Echinacea on Facebook
    Right. We got hacked, they are working on fixing it.

I hit the little x in the corner though and now it's gone.

Wow, hacked. I've been on forums before when they're hacked. That's kinda crazy, Mernetwork has always seemed so...I dunno. Like people wouldn't want to hack here. :b

Senior Member Pod of New England Echinacea's Avatar
    Add Echinacea on Facebook
    They mentioned on the MerNetwork FB page that 'Its usually that they try this on high traffic sites and mernet is one of the highest ones for this host'

WOW. What a honor for mernetwork then, haha. I had completely forgotten this site had an FB though, hehe.

Add Mermaid Syrena on Facebook
    MASSIVE kudos to the admins for getting the site back up and running so swiftly. Couldn't have been easy!
    User formerly known as "magickshewrote".

Syrena, Singapore's First Mermaid.“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.” - Roald Dahl.

Join me at www.facebook.com/syrenaswims
    I'm Cara Clandestine (magickshewrote@gmail.com) on Facebook.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Syrena View Post
    MASSIVE kudos to the admins for getting the site back up and running so swiftly. Couldn't have been easy!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I'm not even sure who fixed it because I didn't hear from Nate or Iona. Iona is constantly working at preventing this stuff. And they purchased security software a while back when the forum went from getting the odd spammer to 100s daily. Its very stressful to deal with and there were other forum glitches Iona was trying to work on yesterday. With the time difference I'm fairly certain both of them were asleep when it happened.

Union of Pods of the North
    Add Sephina on Facebook
    Follow Sephina on Tumblr
    Here's the thing guys, it seems to only show once per IP address. I saw it, got confused, so I refreshed the page and I haven't seen it since. I think another mer mentioned she saw it once, when she first came onto the page, but then didn't see it again after that.

Pod of New England
    Follow Mermaid Melusinah On Twitter Add Mermaid Melusinah on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Melusinah's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I'm not even sure who fixed it because I didn't hear from Nate or Iona. Iona is constantly working at preventing this stuff. And they purchased security software a while back when the forum went from getting the odd spammer to 100s daily. Its very stressful to deal with and there were other forum glitches Iona was trying to work on yesterday. With the time difference I'm fairly certain both of them were asleep when it happened.
    I was up at 2 am to check a few of my posts (was also watching Once Upon A Time, so my volume was up) then i got bombarded with whatever mess was on the home page and i just about screamed it scare/shocked me so bad. I am just glad to see that its back to how it ought to be. I know i sent Iona a message straight away!

Yeah I saw it once on my homepage laptop and once on my phone.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    I got it multiple times on the same browser... Actually, the second time, I was in the middle of watching the Colbert Report, and he said "Syria", and all of a sudden the Syria stuff on mernetwork started blaring at me again, even though I had already refreshed the page and been ad-free for about an hour! It was really, really weird that it happened right when he mentioned Syria. Now I'm trying to check and see if my computer has a microphone anywhere, because I am all paranoid like that. I had to go just close mernetwork so it would stop playing...

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Iona didn't fix it, by the time she got on it was down. I'm guessing Nate did? Did anyone else contact him? I only ask because I contacted him but never heard anything, it may just be that a script stopped running the hacker stuff and it could go back up. :/

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod WillowAnne's Avatar
    I saw it this morning-- I usually get up around 4:15 am and wake myself up by reading the forums, and I saw all of that Syria stuff... Needless to say, that was a HORRIBLE trip to lay on someone just waking up at 4:15. Glad it's fixed!

I refreshed my page a couple of times and it still showed up for me each time. I just called it quits at that point.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

I saw it on my iPod multiple times and then on my laptop, after I hit a little x in the corner it went away entirely.

I didn't want to touch it. I don't trust taazi, and especially not when they resort to stupid tactics like that. I assumed attempting to close it would make the situation worse, and logging in after closing it would give my account problems.

Although in retrospect, that's probably giving taazi too much benefit of the doubt in terms of intelligence, so.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی

Taazi?

It's kind of hard to translate from Persian because it carries a lot of cultural connotation to it - both about the one who says the word, and the one the word is used to describe.... I just couldn't think of a word for it in English.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی