Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Hacked?

I'd be willing to donate too!

Senior Member Pod of New England MerMarla's Avatar
    I would be willing to donate as well, if we all chip in a little, the price to upgrade won't be so daunting!

So where do I send my donation... or maybe we should just wait until all is settled, so no ones account gets tracked....

Thanks Admins for all you do! I know how not-so-easy this is (remembering the days of backing up on 3 ½ inch floppies, and cassette tapes), and it's only become harder. Do your best... if we can donate to defray upgrade costs, I'm sure others will chip in, too!

(((Hugz))) and Bubble 'z
    Mermaid Marla

Quote Originally Posted by nerinethemermaid View Post
    As for my previous post...Im willing to donate $10-$20 not alot but its what i got.
    Quote Originally Posted by SINicallyTwisted View Post
    I'd be willing to donate too!
    Once a Mermaid, always a mermaid!
    Weeki Wachee Springs - 1969-1972

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of Cali
    Thanks Admins, for working so hard on this ;_;
    I wonder what their problem was with this site, or if they just have a vendetta against vBulletin...

I would be willing to donate too if this can help.
    I may not be here since a long time compared to some of you but i like this forum a lot. It's my special place. People are so nice to me here and i like to give back by making them laugh and share to them my journey as a merman.

Without your support, i would feel lonely...

You guys are awesome. Each one of you.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    it was a known security hole with the version of vBulletin we're running. Part of the reason why they made the latest version, but at 300$ to upgrade it just wasn't something anyone was in a rush to do A few things have to happen before that though, and remember Iona and Mal have lives and it's going to be a time consuming process to do all the behind the scenes to make sure it doesn't happen again.

In the mean time, if it does happen again, try not to freak out and just know it'll stop eventually once everything gets done. It's not really something people can help with, it's a matter of one of the mods (likely Mal) sitting for a few hours clicking through the installation, AFTER a bunch of other stuff is done.

Merwrangler Sean figured it out and stressed the big thing is that it'll take TIME.

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Merwrangler Sean figured it out and stressed the big thing is that it'll take TIME.
    I believe that this man deserve to get a "You're awesome" compliment every once in a while because it's the truth.

Thanks Raina for the updates.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    What I don't get is; why are those hacker guys concentrating on a mermaid site?

Don't they at least have a LOOK at the site before they go for it?
    Then they'd know no one here is interested in politics, religion, or that kind of thing.

Dudes, this whole forum is about making costumes, swimming, the oceans, and its inhabitants.
    Take your crap elsewhere!

Also, we have posters from all over the world- Persia, Singapore, Europe...
    and they go on with F**k usa? Really?

We don't care, numbnuts!

Thanks for all the hard work, Mods!! I cant imagine how frustrating all this is >.<

Union of Pods of the North
    Add Sephina on Facebook
    Follow Sephina on Tumblr
    I think it has to do with the fact Iona said this is the highest traffic site for the server we're on, AND clearly it's easy for it to be hacked. It's probably those two things combined that made the forums a target. Since they are also taking down small business farmers, college note taking websites, and small fish things I doubt that they are selectively targeting. They are just getting into anything they can, which means chances are they don't have the skills to target the big fish. Especially since their Facebook page is posting youtube tutorials on how to hack websites, it's all a bunch of amateurs being annoying.

The worst part about targeting the small fish is that they are taking away any support they did have from the small fish.

Also thanks to the Iona, Malinghi, Raina and Sean for all their hardwork keeping us updated and getting things under control!

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Arion View Post
    I would be willing to donate too if this can help.
    I may not be here since a long time compared to some of you but i like this forum a lot. It's my special place. People are so nice to me here and i like to give back by making them laugh and share to them my journey as a merman.

Without your support, i would feel lonely...

You guys are awesome. Each one of you.

I've never spoken with you before but I got to say, I read that and went "Awwww"
    Now I just wanna snuggle you! LOL Xp

Time for a fund drive. I want to listen to Mermaids, not people going to war, whoops, that was the Pres.
    H.P. Lovecraft “You fool, Warren is DEAD!”

Should users be changing their passwords? I don't know how much access the attackers got (in this latest attack).
    I feel the seawater in my veins. I listen to the roar of the sea and it speaks to me like a mothers voice. The tide pulls at my heart. - Night Tide

We're pretty positive we know how they got in at this point. Also passwords are encrypted in the database- no one can get to those, not even admins. However if you would feel better changing your password, there's certainly no hurt in a little extra precaution

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

The world would be a safer place if young muslim men were only allowed to have a girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by caltuna View Post
    What I don't get is; why are those hacker guys concentrating on a mermaid site?

Don't they at least have a LOOK at the site before they go for it?
    Then they'd know no one here is interested in politics, religion, or that kind of thing.

Dudes, this whole forum is about making costumes, swimming, the oceans, and its inhabitants.
    Take your crap elsewhere!

Also, we have posters from all over the world- Persia, Singapore, Europe...
    and they go on with F**k usa? Really?

We don't care, numbnuts!
    The reality is they share the same mermaid obsession as all of us, but instead of join a forum, they only can terrorize it.

the mernetwork post on facebook when it happened should open some eyes:

The site has been hacked again. This time it was not typical hackers- this was a malicious hacking, as all databases were wiped from the server. We have reason to believe the site was hacked and deleted in an attempt to censor it. There are no signs of this being normal hacking and it does not follow normal hacking patterns internally. Thankfully, we have backups!

The admins are working on restoring the site from backups, but it may take a day or two, as we need correspondence from our server host to make sure we have a clean rebulid. Also keep in mind there will be some posts lost from the time that we took the last backup. We will keep you posted! Thank you for your patience

This particular hacking was nothing like what we were experiencing before.

I just Hate it when it's Hacked why do people want to get into this site? Is it because its so popular to us and they want to make us sad or what is it! My best friend and I were so mad when we heard it got Hacked again but, I'm sick of it. Do they even know who is doing this and I know I'ma new member to this site but I still looked on it before I got an account and sometimes it would be hacked so I really hope they find out who and why they are doing this so they should get extra security and this is one of the most hacked websites that I have been on but I still love this web site

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    mermaidCrae, let's just say there are unvoiced suspicions of who may be involved, but it's always best not to call people out in case you are wrong and end up hurting innocent people. As for the original hackings, I believe they were just stupid teenaged hackers looking to show off, as it was not a high level hack--they only hacked the index page and the forums could still be accessed. This time everything got wiped. It shows how amazing our admers and IT wranglers are to get it back up so fast!
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    It's really strange that everything was just deleted.
    I mean, there are viruses that wipe your PC (whatever that's supposed to achieve, except some dude blank in the brain getting a kick or whatever), however lately, those seem to have disappeared in favor of keyloggers,
    phishing and botnet attempts.

I'm sure there is not much to censor on the forums.
    Maybe someone dislikes how people from all over the world come here together peacefully?

No idea.