Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazing Pools

Amazing Pools

Decided to start a thread on amazing looking pools. Points for environmental considerations, aesthetics, user interaction, and overall awesomeness.

**Don't forget to credit sources**

Posts from mer.yuku:

01/27/11 17:15:10
    I've never liked the chlorine factor in swimming pools. A while ago I ran across this article, and was reminded of it recently and thought I'd share. Eco and human friendly pools- and they can be beautiful to look at!
    Read the full article (with pictures!) here: http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-h...g-pools-460908
    Swimming can be great exercise and a lot of fun, not to mention an exciting sport at the Olympics. But the chlorine used in most pools can have some negative side effects, not the least of which is reliance on toxic (and finicky) chemicals.
    Chlorine's damaging effects on hair are well known, but few people realize that a number of studies have linked inhalation of the chemical by swimmers to increased asthma rates (in fact a new Irish study published this April reported a significant link between the number of years a boy had been swimming and the likelihood of the child being wheezy in the past year.) A Norwegian study also documented an increased risk of wheezing among children who swim in pools before 6 months of age. Further, in an unpleasant reaction, pee and sweat in water can react with chlorine to form toxic breakdown products known as chloramines.
    For health, environmental and aesthetic reasons, a lot of people have expressed interest in alternatives to chlorine pools, and luckily there are more and more options to get wet without smelling like cleaning products. A company called TechnoPure offers alternative pool systems that treat water by pumping it through a chamber containing coated titanium plates and copper and zinc ions. The units cost a relatively affordable $5,500. DEL Ozone makes ozone injectors that can reduce the need for chlorine up to 90% -- there's been one installed at the White House for years! Some systems rely on a combination of ozone and copper and silver ions, while others are saline, though saltwater pools result in the formation of chlorine in the water.
    One elegant, eco-friendly solution that has had enthusiastic supporters in Europe for decades is the so-called natural swimming pool, which is slowly beginning to gain buzz in the U.S. Natural swimming pools, often called swimming ponds across the Atlantic, can be beautiful oases of greenery and sustainability, as well as safe, fun places to take a dip.
    Managed properly, natural swimming pools have crystal clear water and require no chemicals to maintain, as they are self-cleaning mini-ecosystems. "You can drink the water if you want to, and you don't necessarily have to take a shower," says Morgan Brown of Idaho-based Whole Water Systems, LLC. The natural pools designer says the systems also have lower maintenance costs than conventional pools, and their installation costs are not much more than standard designs.
    Read on for more info on natural pools -- sometimes called green pools or organic pools -- and photos of some of the most gorgeous designs around.

One of my dreams is to one day have a 15-20 ft natural pool.

SeaSparkles

02/04/11 15:15:31
    Definitely doesn't count as "natural" but still a cool concept.

"The highest elevated position of the floor is that of the pool surround, at which point the water is out of sight beneath the floor. When fully elevated, the entire area becomes totally safe and secure for children to use. Additionally, since the pool is fully closed, energy costs for heating are greatly reduced."

http://www.hydrofloors.be/en/movable-floors.php

"SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

SeaSparkles

03/28/11 19:52:11
    Had a little trouble finding this thread again because I thought it'd be under 'Places to Swim' but I did, so whatever.
    I did find this link: http://www.naturaldesignswimmingholes.com/ from California.
    They claim to have one of the most energy/heat efficient pools on the market.

malinghi

05/22/11 11:34:56
    Oh my god, those pools in that gallery look absolutely amazing.
    And also crazy expensive. I can't imagine how much some of the nicer pools in that link cost.

Capt Nemo

05/22/11 12:07:46
    Those are some really expensive pools. Only one thing they don't seem to talk about is the maintenance required for all the complex surfaces once the algae takes hold. That would be a nightmare to clean!

Article

This one is from China!

"The future of swimming and sunning luxuries of the rich and famous: a Waterworld-concept swimming pool and hotel that would be carved directly in a quarry mine in Songjiang, China. The hotel plans to build luxury rooms beneath the water level and incorporate a huge waterfall, extreme sports recreation center and an underwater restaurant and specialty cafes."

And these (below) are from the Hefner mansion!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Taylor is a Mermaid's Avatar
    The feminist in me is not a big fan of Hugh Hefner, but I've always loved his pool. Natural pools are to die for, and some of these are so beautiful it's just killing me.

There's a beauuutiful pool area where I live. It's apparently some historical site and was founded in the 1800s or something (I don't know my history very well lol). It's in Coral Gables, Florida and it's called Venetian Pool. It's a very nice place to swim and the pool itself is ginormous. It has a couple underwater caves, a giant waterfall, a smaller waterfall that has a pool on top, and a kiddy area that's shallow.
    The pool is filled with fresh water and is emptied out and cleaned every week or so? I'm not entirely sure, but I know it's pretty often. Only problem is the water is sometimes really cold after they refill the pool. Besides that, if anyone else lives down here, you should give it a go :')
    Entrance fee is something around $20. Not too bad, I suppose.

Here are some pictures!

More pictures can be found here!
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Senior Member Pod of Texas Taylor is a Mermaid's Avatar
    This looks like a great site for a future mermaid meetup or even--dare I say it?--convention. Just throwing that out there.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of The South
    Oh yes, I want... no, NEED to go! That would be a great place for a meet up!!! I'm thinking sooner rather than later if the water is so cold, though...

Facebook: Mermaid Moonflower 月 花
    *The user formerly known as FlowerBite*

I've heard of the Venetian Pool before. There was some scandal or protest about it a while ago because of its water quality and environmental impact, or something like that.

@ Taylor - I think it would be a really fun place for a little hangout or even a photoshoot. It's verry pretty in person as well. If a convention ever gets hosted there I'm going forsure xD

@ Flowerbite - Yea definitely. You just have to jump in the water and get used to it, really. I went last year in june or july when it was very very hot.
    It was refreshing but it was certainly cold at first. You just have to get really hot and sweaty before you jump in xD

@ Spindrift - Really? That sounds like a legit thing that could have happened.
    They boast that they use fresh water for the pool and that it's always cleaned often and completely refilled at some points. I HAVE seen the pool being re-filled
    once early before the park opened so I think they're not COMPLETELY making that part up.
    Other than that, I've never heard anything about it.
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Pod of The South
    So, in doing my research on The Venetian Pool, I found out a few things:

http://www.coralgablesvenetianpool.com/ <-- Mermaid!

The pool ranges from 4 to 8 feet deep and there's a grotto as well as natural waterfall!

It is the largest freshwater pool in the US.

The water is drained DAILY, however, as it's filled from a natural aquifer, the water is drained back into the aquifer to use the 'natural filtration' it offers. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venetian_Pool)

For non-Coral Gables residents it costs 11.00 per day (adult) to use the pool. What I didn't manage to find out is if they allow swim fins (which is usually the only reason they wouldn't allow tails), but after reading some in-depth reviews, I didn't see anyone mentioning that they didn't. I just wouldn't want to drive all the way out and not be able to wear my tail...

I would call them and ask first.
    I've seen people bring in pool floaties and stuff like that but I don't recall swim fins.
    I'm sure if it's explained ahead of time and you show them pictures or explain to them what exactly
    the tail is, they won't be too pushy about it.
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Pod of The South
    I hope so. It seems like an amazing place to swim, especially with the weather being as angry hot as it has been lately.

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid Star's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Star On Twitter Add Mermaid Star on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Star's Youtube Channel
    I saw the Venetian Pool on the news a few weeks ago. It is one of the places my boyfriend and I would like to go. I saw on their website that they do have a fee for doing photo shoots. But I wonder if they allow cameras in to get some pictures with out charging a fee if it isn't a full out photo shoot.

I've taken millions of pictures there before. They don't do any bag checks or anything to make sure you don't have a camera.
    They probably charge extra for photo shoots because to do a shoot, you're probably going to need to section off a certain
    part of the pool for a while to get all your shots, so they probably want re-compensation for that.

But you can just take random pictures for free. They'd be nazis if they didn't let you do that xD
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Uh...Nemo33 anyone? This is one badass giant pool ;D

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=nemo+...1t:429,r:1,s:0

.:YouTube:.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MermaidAiera
    .:Facebook:.
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAiera/

^^^ Like me on Facebook for fan updates and booking!!! ^^^
    ^^^ Follow me on Instagram @The_Long_Island_Mermaid ((MermaidAiera)) ^^^

Holy canoli that's deep.
    But it looks like you'd need a tank like everyone else
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

I wish Id gone there when I lived in Coral Gables -___- But no, I get into mermaiding as soon as I move to the middle of the desert.

Junior Member The Twilight Siren's Avatar
    The pools are absolutely divine!!!! When I saw the pictures, I almost fainted.