Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I FOUND OUT WHY THE YMCA WONT LET MERMAIDS SWIM

This is all so confusing to me... I had a Y membership a few years ago before I got my pool installed and they actually HAD wave monofins available for use in their indoor pool. Makes no sense.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    My rec center allows monofins during lap swim but not open. They said it's because "it encourages breath holding," but I got a look at their open swim the other day and I think the real reason is they are afraid someone will get kicked. There were almost 80 people in the pool at open swim. And I have been kicked in the face by SCUBA fins before--it ain't no fun. And I always had a regulator in! I think THAT is a much better reason not to allow them at open swim. I can see people getting really injured if a ton of people with fins showed up at a full pool.
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    This is a post I made two years ago and at the time that's what they told me

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    Yup, the Y is cray cray. I never even bother to try and swim there.
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

interesting, b/c our Y let me swim with my Monofin and the last two years Anna has her tail and they never had an issue

I'm allowed to swim in the Y where I live in my tail! I haven't yet but they've invited me to and told me I'm more than welcome to use their pool for practice, interesting
    Formerly known as Savannah Staver

like I said, it's a piece of information from over two years ago (when I started the thread) lots can change

This is so frustrating. We contacted our local YMCA 5 days ago about advertising mermaid parties there. We still have not heard back from them. With the YMCA being literally a 3 minute walk from seeing lake Michigan they would entertain it and/or use me to bring in more customers or at least more people into their facility? I am not sure but what I do know for sure is our local Aquatic center (where I work at as a lifeguard) is doing MUCH better than that YMCA and it has only been there for a little over 10 years.
    Be kind, Always.

I've swum at the YMCA in Regina and there was no problem. That was a one-off time though; looked like just 2 young guards, no superiors. From what I've heard, YMCA lifeguards are payed FAR less than other pools, even leisure centers.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

this thread was started 4 years ago. back then they basically banned just about everyone from swimming at the YMCA. I think over the years some have relaxed.

Yep, my YMCA is also totally not mer-friendly, he said 'I may hurt others with the tail'
    Despite it being lane swimming...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't even bothered to ask my local YMCA. I'm 99.9% certain they'd say no, and even if they didn't I would want to swim there in a tail anyway. The chlorine levels are so high that you can smell it as soon as you enter the building, (despite it being down the hall,) and if you open your eyes for even a few seconds underwater without goggles they sting for the next few minutes. Definitely not the best option for prolonging the life of a tail.
    "The Mer in me, it's easy to see. Long golden tresses, a heart set free in the Sea."