Thread: Color correcting help?

Color correcting help?

On all of my video I have to do a bit of color correcting. Underwater I have to do a lot, some pools more than others depending on the color of the pool walls, the color of the walls of the building if it's indoors, the lighting of the building, ect. Lately I've been super frustrated with trying to get the color correcting right! If I get everything to look mostly decent, my tail colors look like crap. My Merbellas tail is so beautiful- this is a pretty accurate photo of what it really looks like:

Name:  1236941_541061929298693_137507979_n.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  89.3 KB

But in videos in the pool I have at my apartment complex (the one I swim in the most and can take video in) it ends up looking a red-purple or blah blue. If I cater to my tail when I color correct everything else looks awful. I have tried SO many of the tools in Primer Pro, but some of them just confuse me. I'm willing to learn, but I don't even know which ones to chose to learn that would actually help my issue!

Just for comparison, here's my latest video, then the same video but with all color correction removed.

The original colors look pretty good, besides the beyond annoying vinegaretting that the GoPro tends to do. But as soon as I amp up the bightness and contrast all that goes out the window. I'm also very confused as I can take down the levels of green in highlights, midtones, AND shadows, and in some of the clips the whole thing is still just SO green! >_<

Sometimes I'll spend HOURS color correcting and it just still doesn't look good to me. So, is there anyone here who can help a gal out? Any tips perhaps? Getting ready to pull my hair out over here!

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    you might have to change the white balance physically on your camera when you swim. It's helpful to take something that is white with you and take some video/photo of it to test and compare right there with it so you can fiddle.

Ya know, I didn't even think about that *feels dumb* I took a look at the manual for my camera, and if I turn the "Protune" option on I can chose white balance. It has the options of Auto, 6500k, 5500k, 3000k, and cam_raw. I guess the best thing to try would be the raw. I'll do as you advise and take something white with me and see if any of the other settings do better. Thanks

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I can't believe I didn't think of it when we were talking about it on FB. lol my bad!