Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mermaid with short hair?

Mermaid with short hair?

Hello! Since there are a couple of hair-related threads in this section, I figure this belongs here...

I have only ever seen 2 pictures of a mermaid with short hair - deviantart drawings - and I wonder why. I think long hair is beautiful and sexy, but short hair on the right person can also reveal her bone structure and uncover her eyes and lips. I think it could be just as pretty on a mermaid - but maybe that's my self-consciousness talking to me. I just recently got my hair cut into a pixie cut and I love it in every area of my life...except in the mermaid department.

My question is, what do you think? Can short hair look good on a mermaid, or does the lack of long hair make her less appealing? Would anyone be able to suggest a way to accessorize so my short hair is shown off instead of ignored?

Thanks for reading!

I'd say it depends on the woman, tail or no tail.

Alveric

Senior Member Pod of Texas taom's Avatar
    I think that, just like humans, mermaids would have hair of any length. i think that the hair length perhaps indicates personality a little bit. Like, long wild hair indicates ferral-ness, and short hair shows playfulness or something like that. Point being, like Alverice said, it depends on the person. As for accessorizing, you could try things like pretty clips and maybe random little braids through out your hair. Just sort of messy and cute.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I had short hair for a long time I enjoyed it- low maintenance. I think long hair is the stereotype. If it didnt take me so freaking long to grow it out again I'd keep cutting it all the time!

a shot with my old short red hair and mertailor tail before it was adjusted and fixed

A shot with my stretch vinyl tail

short hair pinned back

I currently have short-ish hair. I love having my long hair, but I'm really happy with my current cut. (A curly bob) As everyone has said, it depends on the girl. :-)

Try adding hair wraps and clips, maybe a nice large piece that's off where you'd wear a flower or something. :-)

I added hemp strips with beads:

Name:  Hair things.GIF
Views: 3371
Size:  43.8 KB
    *bubbles*
    Mermaid Kalliope

Live long and swim free!

deviantART
    Facebook page

This is definately something I'm thinking about today. I have very long hair. It's so thick and heavy that if it's not up or in a long braid it's very uncomfortable. So I've decided that I'm gonna stop worrying about not fitting the image of what people expect of mermaids and just get the damn pixie cut I want. It helps with work, with swimming, and with SCUBA. I don't think one aspect of my life is enough to keep my hair long.

I'm gonna try shell clips in my hair and fish net hair bands and tiaras and such. Mermaids are what we make it. We create ourselves <3
    ~Freckled Kisses!~

Quote Originally Posted by Alveric View Post
    I'd say it depends on the woman, tail or no tail.

Alveric
    *Points up* THIS. Although I think it goes for male & female!

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    As far as my idea of what a mermaid is "supposed to" look like, the idea of short hair being odd for a mermaid never crossed my mind. In fact, there are probably a bunch of people in the community that have short hair. The first example that comes to mind is Iara- her hair is definitely short, and it looks fine while she's mermaiding.

I feel the same way - I have always had long blonde beautiful hair, but after an emergency appendectomy and week long stay at the hospital I decided to cut it all off (the nurses never brushed my hair, it stayed in a ponytail the whole time and got CRAZY tangled!). Then I made my mermaid tail and was sad to not have long hair anymore! I ended up getting a long wig for dry-land appearances, but I don't swim with any hair accessories.
    Real hair:

Wig hair:

I have very very short hair myself, and I keep it short. ( I shaved it in support of st Judes just last February! )
    I think its just fine for a mer to have short hair : D It takes all kinds after all. ~
    As for hair accessories, You can put clips in your hair and have all sorts of things dangling as others have suggested. Head bands are another option. ^^
    I personally have dyed my hair different colors~ You can use a oil biased ( like olive oil ) serum to protect the dye job in the water~
    Just keeep swimming. Just Keeeeppp swwiming -Dory

I actually have a Facebook page now~

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    Has anyone seen bald? Its not the image that I prefer, but there is a wide range between mostly human and mostly fish. Has anyone seen pictures or drawings of bald merpeople?

Green52 just barely beat me to it - I think the most realistic, and quite possibly hottest look for a mermaid (depending on the shape of your head and facial features?) would be bald. My ex girlfriend had a buzz-cut and it made her eyes and lips pop like mad, she had a figure like an anime character to boot, so nothing un-feminine about it, she's super girly.

Lots of serious swimmers shave their heads - hair creates a lot of drag and slows you down in water. Me? Right before I started mermaiding I chopped off over 2 feet of my hair. Funny thing is, people still think it's long, but for me, this is a short haircut and I love it.

Thanks for the replies everyone, they were very insightful. I'd have answered sooner but my life has been quite busy in the past few days... and thanks for the suggestions! I'm still thinking about what kind of hair accessories I might use. Oh well, I have enough time before I can swim again....Summer is officially gone here in Arkansas as of this week.

Btw, AniaR, your pics are beautiful! Thanks for sharing! I need to figure out something in the way of makeup as well as hair stuff. Just finished my tail so I haven't gotten to the accessorizing yet.

Oh and I didn't want to leave anybody out of my reply so thanks to all who have also posted pictures. They are lovely! <3

I think for mermaiding you can have any style hair, in my mind mermaids would, but bald mermaids would be super sexy i think, very un-worldy and fierce. I think short hair would be adorable also though, cute little spikes or floaty little layers maybe with some seashells. In my mind also, mermen have mowhawks and ride giant seahorses!
    ~A mermaid found a swimming lad, picked him for her own, pressed her body to his body,and made the sea their home~

Member Pod of the Midwest
    Pod of the Great Lakes
    I feel you. I have always had shoulder length hair in most my my teen/adult life because it was simply easier to take care of. Sadly, when I'm swimming with my fin, it feels very un-majestic, and I think it comes from that setro-type of mermaids long hair.

I like the image of mermaids with short hair. I feel it fits their free spirit. Really depends on the mermaid.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    once upon...I had beautiful long golden hair, then i got sick and my hair got tangled. You all know the rest of that story..
    I miss my long hair, it made me fell so mermaid-ish. I'm growing my hair back now, but i do tend to draw mermaids with shorter hair. I like the look it gives them
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

i think that both long and short hair have andvantages but if you do what you feel comfotable with then you will always be happy! personally, i enjoy my meduim/longish hair but it tends to get in my face while swimming/mermaiding. short hair looks adorable on the right person but if it stands striaght up in the water, i could look a little funny in a pic. sorry, im not trying to make digs at eaither hairstyle but my point is that everything will have its ups and downs so do what you like with your hair. it you who has to deal with yourself in the end

yeah i have short hair too. (down to my shoulders) but when i start swimming, i'm going to run with the african look and french braid the front halfway with cowrie shells braided in and then do a large circlet braid(is that what they're called) around my head with larger shells braided in and wear the back half of my hair in an afro

One of my favorite artists, Julie Bell did a pseudo-bald mermaid picture that I love: "Goldfish".
    Name:  bell_mermaid_light.jpg
Views: 3552
Size:  16.7 KB
    Ifthereismagiconthisplanet,itiscontainedinwater.
    - Loren Eisley