Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mermaid with short hair?

Since I made the first post here I just kind of let my hair do its own thing. I have gotten it cut a couple of times, and it was very short for a while. Sometimes I like how it looked, sometimes I think it looked horrible. Like every woman it seems, I have a love-hate relationship with it. But since it was short I've let it grow out and colored it, and now it touches my shoulders. I just personally feel more girly with long hair. But maybe that's because I just don't have the right face and body for short hair! Kudos to everyone who rocks a short cut.

Senior Member Pod of the Midwest Goldie's Avatar
    When I have short hair I really feel like a pixie.. Like I should have leaves and twigs sticking out of it here and there. :P and talk silly nonsence.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    For those who don't feel mermaidy enough with short hair for whatever reason,
    or for all who have long hair but think it gets in the way too much when swimming,
    I'd like to point out my thread in Accessories "Silicone Merhair Cap"-
    a swimming cap looking like "aquatic hair".

If any tailmaker, or someone with the know-how to work with latex and stuff, would be interested to make this item,
    I'm sure it would be a smashing success not only with mers.

So I guess that would be a wig made from a silicone cap? Cool.

Edit: I just checked out the thread, and I see what you mean now. Those look pretty interesting... I wish I knew how one would make one of those.

I've since let my hair grow out. I've never had waist long hair, so I don't know about that, but I love the feeling of my hair flowing about me.

When I had short hair, I was mistaken for a boy a lot. That's what happens when you aren't *obviously* womanly... aka small busted. So, I decided to just keep it long. Been working, exceot that I have naturally curly hair... which tangles... a whole freaking lot. Haha

Can I still be considered a mermaid if I have a mohawk? I mean I've always been kind of a tomboy and I've never really been a "girly girl", but will my short boy-ish hair keep me from being part of the mer-community?

You are certainly a mermaid if you have a mohawk! There isn't a "mermaid standard" in the mer-community. Everyone is accepted and encouraged to be unique and make your mersona look the way you want it to look. If anyone tells you a mermaid has to be skinny with long flowing hair don't listen to them because that isn't true. Mermaids, just like people, come in all shapes, sizes, ethnicities, styles, etc.

You might want to look into making some waterproof mermaid armor as that seems like something you might like for your mersona. Just a thought.

Welcome by the way!
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    MOHAWK MERMAIDS ARE RAD! No really you just need do do this thing where you look in the mirror and go "yep mermaid." And then viola you're a mermaid wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you sooo much and thanks for the idea I think I'm gonna do that.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    If you're hair is really really short, you could decorate strands of it with rainbow loom bands.
    Like this. https://www.rainbowloom.com/product/...to-braids.html
    Formerly known as ireneho

Here is my hair The reason I cut it is because i had bleached it and then decided I wanted my natural blonde color back! At first I had done sort of a mohawk style look and then I cut off the mohawk. Now I use Mane and Tail (not the greatest shampoo) to help grow my hair faster. It's a horse shampoo, but it can be used on humans. Because I am a bit overweight (it may not look it in the picture) having short hair makes me look bigger.
    Name:  WIN_20160228_19_56_57_Pro.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  33.5 KB

My "mohawk" Name:  12208481_958834107511472_2813030492526196795_n.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  29.8 KB

and here is my hair before all of the cutting. I cut it because I was bored, but now that I am more into mermaiding, I regret cutting my hair. It was so thick and long and would have been perfect
    Name:  11960226_923342701060613_3144679268056985692_n.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  23.1 KB
    Last edited by Mermaid Maris; 02-28-2016 at 08:18 PM.

Follow Kunoichi Ribeiro On Twitter Add Kunoichi Ribeiro on Facebook
    Visit Kunoichi Ribeiro's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Wesley View Post
    MOHAWK MERMAIDS ARE RAD! No really you just need do do this thing where you look in the mirror and go "yep mermaid." And then viola you're a mermaid wow
    Mermaid Wesley sooo what you think about this brazilian mermaid hair who are speaking to you?
    Name:  10656135_10153309502302538_174750304_n.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  75.1 KB

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Yeeeesssssss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I love my short hair! Its the perfect look for summer. When winter rolls around again, my hair will be a slight longer bob cut. Just enough hair length to cover my ears and keep them warm!

Both styles are very low maintenance too.
    Formerly known as ireneho

This was started a long time ago, but it is a neat thread. I think Short hair is spunky and cute on a mermaid. I had hair down to my butt for the longest time and it is also very thick.... buuuut that made it a pain to brush out and take care of so it actually discouraged me from swimming much because it was such a hassle to take care of afterwards. It would get sooooo tangled. I cut my hair to a pixie, which I loved and now I'm letting it grow out a bit to see where exactly I like it. I'm much less hesitant to jump in the water now that my hair is short.

I'm also looking for mermaid hair accessories that would look good in it and that would stay in it though, so this is a cool thread.

I definitely love your hair Mermaid Chrissa! Maybe you could look into making a swimable mermaid crown?
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Hi. Pixie mermaid checking in.
    When I first started mermaiding, I had hair past my chest. I cut it all off in 2011 on a whim. I've never looked back.

I am a swim instructor by day, and mermaid on weekends. Lemme tell you...mermaids with short hair make so much more sense XD
    Short hair is so easy in the water. Also between the chlorine damage and dye damage, it's easy to treat and cut off the dry dead ends.
    As far as kids are concerned, it's never been an issue. I've had a handful of kids ask why I have short hair. I usually look at them and ask if their hair gets tangled when they swim, or if it gets in their face. They always say yes. I look at them and simply say that mine doesn't do that. I also tell them that fish get caught in long hair (Raina, you had a comic talking about unwanted hair hitch hikers awhile back--I stole that answer)

The only downside to short hair as a mermaid is that is does limit the headdress options. Mine is too short or clip based hair accessories. Everything needs to be mounted on a headband.

(Last year when I was blonde. Loved the color. Too pricey to maintain)

Super fluffy underwater!
    Ohio's First Mermaid.
    Owner of The Ohio Mermaids
    Instagram: @KateyMermaid
    Katey Mermaid on Facebook
    Katey Mermaid Website
    Ohio Mermaids Website

Chrissa talk to Mermaid Hyli if Siren Allure or Mermaid Sanctuary Designs. Both make gorgeous headdresses and would probably be happy to modify the design to go on a headband.
    Ohio's First Mermaid.
    Owner of The Ohio Mermaids
    Instagram: @KateyMermaid
    Katey Mermaid on Facebook
    Katey Mermaid Website
    Ohio Mermaids Website

I'm soon to be a mer with a pixie

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Oceania moomer's Avatar
    Fellow short-haired mermaid here!
    I shaved my head over 9 years ago now and have never had my hair longer than my shoulders since!
    I find it SO much better when swimming. It is easier to pin back, not as heavy, and I can get that tussled look super easy :P
    Sometimes I wish I still have my long hair, as I get hair envy really quickly
    But that being said, it's really easy to pin things in, style, stick under wigs etc. And the maintenance is super easy too!
    (Pic attached for reference)
    Attached Images Attached Images