Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mermaid with short hair?

Junior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Ayame's Avatar
    Follow Ayame On Twitter Add Ayame on Facebook
    Follow Ayame on Tumblr Visit Ayame's Youtube Channel
    Was just thinking abut this today too, when I was coloring in my icon XD
    I had long hair for a long time, but my hair was wavy and it really bugged me up in a high ponytailr or a braid. I have a short pixie cut now, but I may cut it differently later down the road, but I love my short hair. I dunno, I think my koi design will match well when I make my tail!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania moomer's Avatar
    Short pixie cut would totally match a koi theme!
    You could dye bits of it to match your tail colours!
    (or use hair chalk if dying is too much)

I'm a Jewish women not religiously but my hair is wavy thick and rough textured a lot of the time I have never had the option of having long hair. It goes a little past the shoulders then breaks off it's been hard growing up as a kid my mother getting tired of the hassle and forcing me to cut my hair I felt like a boy I hated it. Especially seeing my sister get the good hair gen from my dads side and having long shiny healthy beautiful blond hair. I like short hair on some girls but I never felt good with it on me I have had it very short most my life but now I'm growing it back and happy about it it's almost till my shoulders now and I feel good even though it's not super long. I feel like having it blond and wavy even though it's dyed makes me imagine the hair of a surfer girl nice and beach style or even just a girl with a double mermaid life long enough to flow but not long enough to have to much trouble with I love my hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Junior Member Pod of the Southwest
    Pod of Cali
    Add aquamtc on Facebook
    Visit aquamtc's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by kazekoh View Post
    I have very very short hair myself, and I keep it short. ( I shaved it in support of st Judes just last February! )
    I think its just fine for a mer to have short hair : D It takes all kinds after all. ~
    As for hair accessories, You can put clips in your hair and have all sorts of things dangling as others have suggested. Head bands are another option. ^^
    I personally have dyed my hair different colors~ You can use a oil biased ( like olive oil ) serum to protect the dye job in the water~
    Hi since you mentioned having dyed your hair, I wanted to ask if you ever had a problem of it bleeding out into the pool and do you think it would look dorky be a mermaid in a swim cap? I died my hair a dark color last week and it is so saturated that it still rinses out dark red after four or five washes. I'm dying to get into the pool with my tail( no pun intended) but i'm scared it will bleed out even with the swim cap on and then I'll be kicked out of the pool forever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by aquamtc View Post
    Hi since you mentioned having dyed your hair, I wanted to ask if you ever had a problem of it bleeding out into the pool and do you think it would look dorky be a mermaid in a swim cap? I died my hair a dark color last week and it is so saturated that it still rinses out dark red after four or five washes. I'm dying to get into the pool with my tail( no pun intended) but i'm scared it will bleed out even with the swim cap on and then I'll be kicked out of the pool forever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Well it kinda depends on the colour I just have my hair bleached blond and it didn't do anything, but I have dyed my hair purple and pink before and the pink stays in the purple bleeds, then again there's more then one type of hair dye or hair type so I can't say for sure what works for who I would just test it out in a bath first to find out.

I've had short hair (a bit longer than a pixie cut) for about a year and a half! When I first got it cut, I hated it. I felt terrible, especially when other people started telling me they wish they hadn't cut it. However, I learned the magic of going to a good hairdresser vs. a bad one. So this January I went for another chop, and I love it now! One of my main concerns was that it didn't look "mermaidy" enough, but off with those stereotypes! It is so much easier for a mermaid to deal with; no seaweed in your hair, no getting snagged on coral, no brushing out long hair on a rock for hours.

I may grow it out in a year or two when I'm in college and no longer have to worry about my day job as a hostess. I kind of want to dye it again...

Name:  Magictail 4-1.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  89.6 KB
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    That hair style looks perfect. I totally forgot seaweed would be an issue with long hair. I guess being a guy I forgot about that.
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    That hair style looks perfect. I totally forgot seaweed would be an issue with long hair. I guess being a guy I forgot about that.
    Thanks haha, I try to spike out the back for water pictures or else it all just lies flat and can look funky.

Here is what it looks like when I'm not flipping my fins.
    Name:  IMG_5739.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  35.7 KB
    formerly known as Kalani

Member Chesapeake Pod
    Pod of The South
    I will be moving this summer, most likely to Virginia.

Visit Mermaid Lanier's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
    Thanks haha, I try to spike out the back for water pictures or else it all just lies flat and can look funky.

Here is what it looks like when I'm not flipping my fins.
    Name:  IMG_5739.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  35.7 KB
    O_o Your hair is magical. I'm going to have to show this pic to my sister. She loves short hair, and yours is a gorgeous cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lanier View Post
    O_o Your hair is magical. I'm going to have to show this pic to my sister. She loves short hair, and yours is a gorgeous cut.
    Oh thank you so much! One of my inspirations for cutting my hair was actually seeing this adorable picture of a fawn who had short hair and a darling flower crown. Pretty magical, I'd say
    I was so happy this time around. Guys, if you're going for the big chop do your research. Know exactly what you want and find a good hair stylist
    formerly known as Kalani

Hello Mers!

Long time since I posted here last time, thus I didn't get around to this until now. I am sorry for necro-posting.

BUT HOLY CARP! SHORT HAIRED MERS! THANK YOU FOR THIS!

As you can tell from my profile pic, I am indeed a short haired individual, and I honestly think I look better with short hair than I do with long. As a cosplayer, short hair also makes putting on wigs a little easier too. No funny lumps to try and hide.
    But alas, that was one of my main concerns in trying to create a "mer-sona" was the fact that I have short hair...and while sometimes wigs are great for that extra oomph, they carry their own set of issues. Like they are HOT AS HELLS. Not seeing a lot of short haired merfolks, I was starting to get a little discouraged... but then THIS THREAD pops up.

So short haired mers....thank you. Those of you who have posted pics of yourselves in your glorious short-hair-ness; thank you. For those of you that go out in your glorious short-hair mer-sonas; thank you. It is so very encouraging to see this.

~Kaylin

Follow Dogfish On Twitter
    Visit Dogfish's Youtube Channel Visit Dogfish's Vimeo Channel
    Just saw this thread, short hair never bothered me! I considered wigs but to be honest I like my messy short hair as it is. Short hair is funky

As for creating a mersona, I guess it makes sense to find ways to change your hair depending on the look, but for me, it's just me as a mermaid, rather than another character.

Name:  mermaid3.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  166.7 KB

i like short shoulder length hair with a nice seashell crown

Visit Mermaid_Mari's Youtube Channel

I'm a mer with shaved hair, and I love it! I know a lot of people say long hair is more mermaidy but who cares, I think it fits my mersona, plus it's easier to maintain in chlorine :P

@MaritzaMermaid on Instagram

Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Bree's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Bree on Facebook
    MerPunk?

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England

My natural hair is 4c but it has length. The moment it gets wet, it begins to shrink up though. So technically I am a mermaid with short hair, but I'm growing it out! I do like to alternate my hair into Senegalese twists, box braids, and goddess locs.

Mela.Mermaid

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Arking's Avatar
    Add Arking on Facebook
    Add Arking on Linkedin Follow Arking on Tumblr Follow Arking on Flickr
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    I can vouch for this. Short hair does not tangle easily in trees, seaweed, rocks or anything else for that matter. I had cut my locks after one too many run-ins with nature.
    Attachment 41517
    Me with former long hair prior to tree molestation.

On that note I've avoided pools of late because I started dying my hair red (too many people asked why I had dark eyebrows but gold hair, this has been a simple fix) ...I'll have to consider some of the advice everyone is giving before I try out the pool once more.

Yes, long hair is a stereotype

Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Bree's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Bree on Facebook
    *sigh*

I could be enticed into not-nice things for hair like that... oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Arking View Post
    I can vouch for this. Short hair does not tangle easily in trees, seaweed, rocks or anything else for that matter. I had cut my locks after one too many run-ins with nature.
    Attachment 41517
    Me with former long hair prior to tree molestation.

On that note I've avoided pools of late because I started dying my hair red (too many people asked why I had dark eyebrows but gold hair, this has been a simple fix) ...I'll have to consider some of the advice everyone is giving before I try out the pool once more.

Senior Member RiverDragonKaringan's Avatar
    Add RiverDragonKaringan on Facebook
    I can attest that short hair no longer strangles or grabs me.

PDX River Dragon!