Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Jessica's Second Dragonskin Tail

Jessica's Second Dragonskin Tail

I'm loved making my first tail so much that now I'm working on my second dragonskin silicone tail! This tail is really special though...it's my first tail that I'm making for someone else! I originally planned to make another tail for myself first, but I couldn't pass up the chance to make an extra tail. I'm seriously addicted to tailmaking now

This tail is for Mermaid Eva and we've been working really closely together on a new custom fluke design! It's so different from other flukes and I'm just in love with it! It's very natural and very fishy. I'm incredibly excited about this project and everything has just fell perfectly into place. Eva is close to my size which will make sizing easier, and she has been great to work with.

This tail will have a finis wave monofin because of the long, narrow fluke design. A competitor would have been great but it was just too wide to get the shape of the fluke without cutting the monofin.

I'm ordering shell shock and dragonskin tonight and will be pouring the mold for the fluke hopefully Wednesday or Thursday (weather permitting)

Here's the fluke sculpture: (I love the edge!)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Very cool, I can't wait to see how this one comes out!
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

OOOOOH! I love those raggedy edges!

Yay another one!! Cant wait to see more pictures!! <3

Ooooooooh! <3 <3

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Nice! I can't wait to follow this build! I hope you post lots of details! I've ordered my dragonskin for my first and will be diving in soon...I've been testing concepts and want to do a tail that's a departure in a lot of ways, but using the things I'm learning here. You have already taught me so much! I'm in awe of you!

It's been a very busy day.... I finished the clay walls around the fluke sculpture and decided to make a mold of a tiny seahorse I sculpted the other night. I ordered my dragonskin (10 medium) and shell shock(SLOW!!! do not order fast!) yesterday and I got it late this afternoon.

I had everything ready to go so I went right to work on making my molds! Last time I used shell shock it was about 75 degrees and sunny....under hot conditions shell shock thickens immediately..before you even get a chance to mix it thoroughly! Today was so much better...the weather was cooler and I had a good five minutes before the shell shock was too thick to spread with a paintbrush. Once again for those of you making silicone tails....order shell shock slow, not fast! I can't even imagine how quickly the fast version hardens.

Pearlie, you're so sweet! Here are more than a few details/tips for you

A few tips for working with shell shock:

small batches are best! I usually mix 1/4 cup A with 1 cup B. I measure them in separate measuring cups and then pour part A into the measuring cup with part B. if you mix small batches this way, you won't need an extra bucket. Keep in mind that anything you use with shell shock will be ruined. Buckets, measuring cups, spoons, paintbrushes...even your clothes!

It is important to protect yourself...shell shock lets off fumes when you use it, so it's best to do it outside if at all possible. You need to wear long sleeves(i wear an old lab coat) latex free gloves(don't take any chances with anything that will touch silicone) sunglasses/safety glasses, put long hair up out of the way(you do not want shell shock in your hair! it does not come out) and keep paper towels handy!

You need a knife to open part A and you need a screwdriver and possibly a hammer to open part b.

keep the materials covered if you're mixing small batches...do not leave lids off in between batches. Shell shock doesn't have a great shelf life and you will reduce it even more if you leave the material uncovered.

After you pour your first layer, take a paintbrush and run it through the shell shock as you spread it around. This is important for the first few layers in order to reduce the bubbles in your mold. **don't pour shell shock if its really humid. humidity will make the shell shock bubbly and your mold will have air bubbles

After you cover your clay completely(usually 2-3 layers) you can lay fiberglass cloth in your mold for strength. Lay it on top of wet shell shock and then add 1-3 more layers to build your mold up to the correct thickness (1cm or 3/8")

Spread shell shock layers evenly across your mold. Don't pour shell shock on one half, and then pour the other because you can wind up with a crack or seam line in your mold. You can always add more layers, but its very important to get a good base layer down.

I hope this helps a little! I know I wish I hadn't learned all of this the hard way

pictures!

Junior Member Pod of Oceania Darcythemermaid's Avatar

Follow Darcythemermaid on Tumblr
    Oh wow!!! The fluke is so beautiful!!!!!!

Love love love the fluke design! The ripped ends will look SO pretty!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Jessica! Thank you so muuuuuuuch! This information is absolutely invaluable!

It seems like shell shock is just the same as the resin I have already. I'm going to run a rest tonight...fingers crossed!

Thanks Darcy and Mizuko! I can't wait to see how the end of the fluke will look painted

Pearlie,

i really wish I had info like that before I used shell shock...it really wasn't fun the first time around! I'm hoping others (like you!) can learn from my experiences and all my mistakes! I'm so excited to see so many people making silicone tails! There is so much more information available now compared to when I started my research last year. I can't wait to see how your molds turn out!

I started cleaning my molds out last night and they came out great! I'm really happy with them, but its going to take a bit more work to get all the clay out. The seahorse turned out pretty cute...and just in case you're wondering...there's a tiny crown on its head

Pictures!

Looks perfect!! XD I've got a new love/hate relationship with Shell Shock. Its so tempermental, but it really does wield beautiful molds!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mizuko View Post
    Looks perfect!! XD I've got a new love/hate relationship with Shell Shock. Its so tempermental, but it really does wield beautiful molds!!
    I know EXACTLY how you feel! It's stressful to work with...if you get the ratio wrong, you ruin the mold...if you don't mix or spread fast enough, you ruin the mold!! I do love the results though.

Oh the love/hate relationship of Shell Shock. XD Once you get used to working with it though, it's really awesome stuff, as evidenced by your beautiful molds Jessica. And the seahorse is so gosh darned cute!
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Melanie's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Melanie on Facebook
    well done you ! looking great !
    Yougot your own style, now let it come through. And remember no matter what, you got to be you. -Sebastian

Thanks Lorelei and Melanie!

Shell shock is pretty awesome...I can't believe how much better my mold turned out this time! Weather has a HUGE impact on shell shock....my last mold was poured in hot, semi humid weather and it has a lot of bubbles. I have yet to find a single bubble in my mold this time. This may be because I had more time to brush on my first layer but then again, I had more time because the weather was cooler!

So excited about this! The mold came out really great! I know this will come out just as great (probably better!) then the last one!

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Amazing job, Jessica! Eva's one lucky mer!
    Last edited by mermaidm; 10-17-2013 at 06:10 PM.

Thanks jazz and mermaidm!

I'm still working on cleaning out the fluke mold, but I'm hoping to finish it tonight so I can pour some silicone tomorrow!

Here's the silicone seahorse! (I tinted the silicone white)

Very cute Maybe use it as a piece on a top or something? I'm not sure, its your choice