Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Jessica's Second Dragonskin Tail

Thank you! I'm not the strongest monofin swimmer so I probably don't go as fast as I could. I definitely felt like I was gliding through the water pretty easily and there wasn't any drag. There is a finis wave in there so I got a good amount of propulsion.

“Don't you ever let a soul in the world tell you that you can't be exactly who you are.”

Formerly known as Mermaid Eva

OMG, it makes an amazing effect underwater *.* I can't believe!
    (Formerly known as Mermaid Claudia)

I've been playing with different effects, and I really love black and white pictures! Here are some of Eva!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Beauty!!!!!!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    PERFECT this turned out extreamly well. what i love about it is, it looks so professional and you can't even see the monofin under the flipper, you've done a excellent job hiding it. the Colours look fab underwater.

Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......

A few more pictures!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of Cali
    Follow Mermaid Esther On Twitter Add Mermaid Esther on Facebook Add Mermaid Esther on Google+
    Dang, you are truly beautiful!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of Texas

Add LaNyah on Facebook
    I did some test painting and had some trouble. It was so thick that it was difficult to use the brush, yet took so long to set up that it would run into areas I didn't want.

How are you doing it?
    Do you thin it? Freeze before painting? brush?

Argh!

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley777 View Post
    I did some test painting and had some trouble. It was so thick that it was difficult to use the brush, yet took so long to set up that it would run into areas I didn't want.

How are you doing it?
    Do you thin it? Freeze before painting? brush?

Argh!
    What temp are you storing and using your silicone at? If it's too cold it can thicken. You shouldn't have thick silicone. I freeze already mixed silicone to thicken it for when I'm doing seams or just for when I have leftovers and don't want it to go to waste. I don't thin mine with anything...it's runny enough! Try painting very thin coats if it runs into places you don't want.

I think your problem is likely temperature/environment related, or you might have old silicone. What's the manufacture date on the side of the box? Are you working outside or storing your buckets in a cold room?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of Texas

Add LaNyah on Facebook
    Ah, where it is stored may be it. It's kept in a back work room that can get chilly.

I'll try again with it warmer.

I want to add an accent color to each scale but it just runs off before it sets up. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley777 View Post
    Ah, where it is stored may be it. It's kept in a back work room that can get chilly.

I'll try again with it warmer.

I want to add an accent color to each scale but it just runs off before it sets up. :/
    if it runs off, you're putting too much on. You have to do really thin layers or it will run in between your scales and you'll lose the nice scale shape. I use really small fan shaped brushes and they work really well. It's going to take 2-3 thin layers to get the color you want unless you add a lot of pigment!

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Eva, your tail is beautiful and you look amazing swimming in it!!! Amazing job, Jessica!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    Ack, Eva, you look so graceful! Congrats to both you and Jessica, I'm in awe!

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid_Dominique's Avatar
    I love the tail and top! It looks gorgeous! Congrats to you both, you did an amazing job!
    ''There's no great reward without great struggle''

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    I love your work, Jessica. Wonderful job! I do have some questions though. I'm sorry if you've answered them in the posts before. First is shell shock the only product that is used for creating the molds for DragonSkin silicone? and Second: What the heck is power mesh and when do you apply that to the silicone??
    Last edited by spottedcatfish; 01-05-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spottedcatfish View Post
    I love your work, Jessica. Wonderful job! I do have some questions though. I'm sorry if you've answered them in the posts before. First is shell shock the only product that is used for creating the molds for DragonSkin silicone? and Second: What the heck is power mesh??
    No problem! I'm always happy to answer any questions

there are several mold materials suitable for dragonskin. I like shell shock, but you can also use fiberglass, silicone itself(you must use a release agent!) pearlie uses micro mark.....you can call smooth on too.....I'm sure there's more! Shell shock was the first one I tried and it worked well so I stuck with it! It is temperature sensitive though....if you check the first few pages of this thread I did a long post about it that will help explain all about it!

Powermesh is is just bathing suit lining. It's very thin, stretchy and great for adding strength to silicone you can buy it at fabric stores like Joanns

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    Thanks. When do you apply the power mesh to the silicone?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    To create your molds, you can use anything that doesn't have sulphur in it - it inhibits the silicone from curing and you will end up with a huge, expensive, useless mess. I use clay I get from Micro Mark (full disclosure, it's where I work), and I think we originally got it from smooth on, but now we get it from another supplier, it's brand name is Plastilina. You can get it in the sculpture department of art supply stores. It does not indicate on the package that it is silicone safe, and if you get a different kind of oil based modeling clay, always run a small compatibility test first.

As for the power mesh, Jessica, don't you lay it into the silicone when you pour your scale sheet?

Jessica, did u get my message? Got some questions for u!

Absolutely gorgeous. I wish I had looks like you *lol*

you said you're a mother? :o You look so young!