Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Jessica's Second Dragonskin Tail

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    OMG! How'd you get that awesome green with pearl ex? They only have that spring green one last I checked. Your color is much closer to the greens I like.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    That forest green over the pearl is fabulous!

Thanks pearlie!

Aziara,

This is spring green! I just had to blend it with a few other colors! Pearl ex pigments are so easy to blend and mix very easily into silicone.

the color at the top of the fluke is more of an emerald green and it fades into what I would call sea foam.

LOve the blend! Looks like a real fish!

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of Cali
    Follow Mermaid Esther On Twitter Add Mermaid Esther on Facebook Add Mermaid Esther on Google+
    OMG IT'S TURNING OUT BEAUTIFUL!!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    Wow, that green is fantastical! I love the pearlesence of it all!
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Re: Jessica's Second Dragonskin Tail

Such beautiful colors!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Love it, looks like a genuine fish's fin.
    Some lake or river one.
    That'll be one awesome tail.

What paints did you use on the silicone? Did it stick?

ah, it looks beautiful!!! <3

Looking amazing so far!

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Senior Member Euro Pod Azurin Luna's Avatar
    Add Azurin Luna on Facebook
    One epic fluke coloring! I love those colors
    Your imagination is your only limit

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I've been thinking about this and how we color silicone with pigment...I'm going to run a test this weekend using some dollar store eyeshadows. Pearl Ex is basically tinted mica powders and most eyeshadows are largely the same thing...colored pigment and mica powders, with a little microcrystalline wax as a binder. We'll see how much or how little it takes to color up some silicone!

>insert evil scientist chuckle here <

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    ^looking forward to the results of this!
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Thanks so much everyone! I'm having so much fun

@ shadeofmyheart, I'm using pearl ex powdered pigments and its working great this time! With my last tail I had trouble with the paint curing due to the rubber monofin inhibiting the cure of the silicone. I'm using a different monofin this time and painting the tail before I put the monofin inside just to be safe!

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    I've been thinking about this and how we color silicone with pigment...I'm going to run a test this weekend using some dollar store eyeshadows. Pearl Ex is basically tinted mica powders and most eyeshadows are largely the same thing...colored pigment and mica powders, with a little microcrystalline wax as a binder. We'll see how much or how little it takes to color up some silicone!

>insert evil scientist chuckle here <
    great minds must think alike...I found some hot pink powdered eyeshadow at a flea market last month I'm planning on testing! I just haven't gotten around to it yet!

Senior Member Pod of The South Blondie's Avatar
    Hnnngggg I'm in love with these colors.

Member Euro Pod
    I LOVE the way the end of the tail is tattered and almost translucent. Its just like a real fishes tails, there is no harsh edge with colour, the "skin?" of the fin just becomes translucent and clear towards the end. You seriously need to open your own tail shop, it takes a lot of work and effort but the outcomes are so beautiful! You'd go very far I think Good luck with the scales this time round, does the Foil propel you enough in your tail? was it worth the hassle or do you wish you had got a different fin?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    I've used the Peal ex macropearl on my tail. if you only mix in a little pigment. YOU don't need much a little goes a long, long way. its looks transulcent and the good thing about this is..... it wont turn yellow over time. I love the pastel colours. there not vibrant but just the right hue. the green goes very well with the pearl. any colour would i reckon. by just looking at your thread ive learnt things i didnt know... with the mold making process. knowing me i always make it DIFFICULT for myself. i will deff watch your thread. keep up the good work

Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......

Oh em gee! Talent! I'm just waitin till you start taking orders we are ready, me n mah moneyz

Thanks so much! You guys are all so sweet

blondie: I love the drooling smiley face!

Mermaid aqua,
    the tattered fishy look was what I was going for! Eva really wanted a natural looking fluke.

i really like how the foil monofin looks in the fluke...it made my fluke very flowy. However, it really doesn't give me the kind of power I want in the water. This tail will have a finis wave and I think it will be much better. Maybe my next tail will get a competitor....

As for a tailmaking business...I'm making this tail for Eva because she understands 100% that I'm still learning! I'm not an expert and I still have so much left to learn. I can't guarantee a perfect tail yet, but I'm learning so much and having fun so I'm pretty happy.

Tail update:
    i went and picked up three yards of nude colored powermesh from joanns today (a yard and a half for this tail and for my next tail too)

I have almost finished painting one of the fluke halves. I added another shade of green and made the aqua/sea foam a bit brighter. I also added just a teeny tiny hint of pink along the tattered edge so Eva can see if she likes it! This is going to be such a pretty tail and I'm so excited!

I'm working on the scales and I just got more pigment in the mail from Eva today.

pictures coming soon!