Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Jessica's Second Dragonskin Tail

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Delphine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
    I love the pearly white too....it reminds me of Delphine's tail!

My fluke turned out a bit thin in the center....a little too thin to cover the ridges of the wave monofin completely. So back in the mold it goes! I just added an extra 2 cups of silicone to the back to make it thicker in the center. This should be enough to cover the monofin well.
    Hey, cool! Iridescent-Pearly love to share! <3 We have the same monofin! It's the biggest pain to disguise that dandelion yellow, eh? XD I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Seems like it's coming along quite well. Whoo! Love the process shots--they're great.

Thanks jade

Delphine,
    if finis would just make a white monofin! With white footpockets! The yellow is pretty awful.....but at least it isn't completely black! The greens in this tail help hide the monofin a lot. Your tail is just so pretty it has me thinking about a white tail....!!

tail update.....

I've been really sick the past week and things slowed down a bit. I'm feeling much better now though and I'm catching up! I have all the scales done and just need to add powermesh to the second sheet. I've been painting the other half of the fluke and it's coming along nicely.

I've also been thinking about a starfish top for awhile. I ran out of shell shock so I just heated monster makers clay and pressed it over the starfish. It's a temporary mold but it worked great! I've been slowly brushing silicone in the clay mold when I had a bit leftover from the scales and I finally have one starfish done. it's a bit thinner than other starfish you see on tops....I want it to be more flexible so I can make it curve around the bra cups a bit.

Here are a few pictures! The scales have a nude powermesh backing.
    The fluke half on the right is finished and the other still needs a bit more paint
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    That looks great! I love that the starfish well conform to curves, rather than look like a dried starfish. The whole thing is coming along wonderfully!

Hope you feel better soon!
    Last edited by PearlieMae; 11-03-2013 at 06:25 PM.

@jessica: I hope u feel better soon! <3

OMG OMG OMG a starfish bra! I really neeeeeed one! Could u manage to make one where the starfish follow the curves of the bra? I really want one but all i've seen are stiff starfish

Follow LittlePolly On Twitter Add LittlePolly on Facebook
    Wauw! Amazing, I love your work!

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    That fluke is FANTASTIC!
    (I just felt like the ninth doctor...:O)
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Beautiful, Jessica! The colours look amazing!

Thanks everyone! I'm really happy with how this tail is turning out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariel Starfish View Post
    @jessica: I hope u feel better soon! <3

OMG OMG OMG a starfish bra! I really neeeeeed one! Could u manage to make one where the starfish follow the curves of the bra? I really want one but all i've seen are stiff starfish
    hi Ariel,
    I don't like stiff starfish either! I want it to look like my starfish is hanging on....not just stuck on stiff like he died and dried there. Stay tuned! I need to find a bra for the top, but I just brushed the second starfish in the mold today so I should have some pictures soon! The starfish is very sturdy but very flexible....I can easily fold it in half.

I added the the powermesh to the second scale sheet today and I did some more painting on the fluke! Next comes the measuring and seaming of the body of the tail!

I have a question, are silicone tails "vented" in any way? Do they fill with water, especially if they gap at all? I saw Raina's first mertailor video and it ballooned like crazy, but I don't know what's been done since then to prevent that.

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    I have a question, are silicone tails "vented" in any way? Do they fill with water, especially if they gap at all? I saw Raina's first mertailor video and it ballooned like crazy, but I don't know what's been done since then to prevent that.

You just need drainage slits in the fluke to prevent the fluke from filling with water. Water will find a way in the tail...through the waist....side seams.....etc. it just needs a way out so it doesn't fill up and drown you! Your slits can be done in many different ways....I just laid two plastic rulers and a couple of plastic straws in between my fluke when I sealed it together. They pull out easy and the silicone won't stick to plastic. I placed mine right against the edge of the monofin so there would be channels for the water to flow out. Somewhere in my first thread I posted a picture of this. I'll be sure to post pics when I seal the fluke on this tail.

Starfish

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
    You just need drainage slits in the fluke to prevent the fluke from filling with water. Water will find a way in the tail...through the waist....side seams.....etc. it just needs a way out so it doesn't fill up and drown you! Your slits can be done in many different ways....I just laid two plastic rulers and a couple of plastic straws in between my fluke when I sealed it together. They pull out easy and the silicone won't stick to plastic. I placed mine right against the edge of the monofin so there would be channels for the water to flow out. Somewhere in my first thread I posted a picture of this. I'll be sure to post pics when I seal the fluke on this tail.
    Thanks so much! I will look in your other thread. This is really helpful!

Quick update...

I'm working on the body and measuring....measuring .......and measuring! I'm trying to make sure I get the fit perfect! I'm excited to get the scales trimmed and start seaming the tail. The scales are thicker this time around and the thicker the silicone is the less it will stretch. It's still plenty stretchy, but just not as stretchy as my first tail. However, the scales are much, much sturdier! The powermesh really makes a world of difference

pictures coming soon

Cutting scales and seaming the tail tomorrow! Sneak peek:

Woot woot!
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

How exciting! If you can, could you please give us a little insight to seams once you are done? ;D I'm kinda stuck on how to do them (and I havn't even re-done my scale sheet yet, lol!)
    This tail is going to be beautiful- the colours on the fluke are stunning!

Member Undisclosed Pod
    THOSE STARFISH!!! oh my gosh!!! and the tail is coming along BEAUTIFULLY!!! (it really deserves all these exclamation points lol) great work tho

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    *Joyful Squee!*
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid_Dominique's Avatar
    Ohhhh so excited! =D it all looks really great!
    ''There's no great reward without great struggle''