Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How you can deal with monofin blisters

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

How you can deal with monofin blisters

For years, I never ever ever got monofin blisters. No matter what I did, I just never got them! Then this summer I got sand right down inside my monofin pockets and I got blisters. Now that I've had blisters once... I CAN'T GET RID OF THEM. Everytime I've gone swimming even though the sand is all out, I kept getting them! I learned a few tricks for dealing with them that I'm going to share with you:

1) Hockey tape. We use it for everything in Canada. Haha. But in a pinch it's great to put OVER a bandaid or moleskin that is already covering blisters. Wrap it all around the affected area and be sure to flex and move your feet to make sure it's not on too tight. It'll keep the blisters from being irritated. You can also use it to prevent blisters. It's really sticky, but safer for skin use than other tapes. it will stay on in the water so long as you put it all around your foot, and thick enough.

2) Thin regular socks. They can make a big difference, but I find it helps to buy ones that have grips already made into the sole of the sock. Otherwise you may find your feet too slippery, and popping out of the monofin.

3) Neoprene socks. They obviously keep blisters away but if your monofin is a PERFECT fit or a little on the tight side, you likely wont be able to cram neoprene socks in there. We use neoprene socks for Ama since the monofin is too big for her, and it takes her an extra long time to get her feet in. They come in different thickness.

4) The solution I found that works 100% was suggested to me by mermaid Kariel. Monofin socks! Special half socks that only go over the toe area and are specially made to prevent blisters on your feet! We just bought some and we love them. I got them for all my mermaids really cheap online.

awh! i gotta try the half socks! I bought some neoprene socks and they work great for preventing blisters but makes it almost impossible for me to get my tail on though. The socks cause the foot pockets to roll under. Last time I went swimming the pockets were rolled under and my feet started hurting and going numb after only 10mins of swimming. I'm deff not doing that again, it hurt so bad by the time I was done swimming.
    I'd also like to try the hockey tape, but I'm wondering if I use it and wrap my feet the way you did Raina if if would help prevent blisters on my toes? Because that's where I mostly get blisters. I tried wrapping my toes once but everything just rolled right off my toes into my foot pockets while I was swimming.
    Facebook~ Youtube ~ Instagram
    ~ Phoenix Mermaid ~

I recommend neoprene socks as well. I have some that stop at the ankle (like no show socks do) and they're perfect. I've never gotten blisters in any tail while wearing them I got mine on clearance at Big 5, and another pair I got on Amazon for cheap. Right now I wear 2 2mm pairs at once since the competitor monofin's smallest size is too big for me.

Just be careful with sizing when you order! I usually wear a 6 1/2 but the sizes that fit were 4 on one brand and 5 in another. Also I've had neoprene socks and water shoes that were size 4 and still say too big. So just be aware, read reviews on the product to see if there are sizing issues, and/or make sure the place you're ordering from has a good return policy.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Senior Member Pod of The South Blondie's Avatar
    Socks are amazing.

I use these cute little half socks with my heels even. They cover the tips of your toes and the back of your heel but you can't see them when you put on shoes. Such a lifesaver

like I said, the tape will stay on your feet in water, and like I said, the socks might not work for you if the monofin fits or is too tight

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MerAnthony's Avatar
    Add MerAnthony on Facebook
    I use spandex socks with my monofin an it is a major help. That could be a option as well to help stop blisters.
    Be Happy Swim Free

where do you get the monofin half socks??

EBay, amazon. Dive shops. Dive websites.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Euro Pod selkie13's Avatar

Do you think making your own socks from left over tail fabric will work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Euro Pod selkie13's Avatar

Just to say that the socks I made worked! Kept falling off a bit at the start but once I figured out the problem everything went ok.

So you don't need to spend lots on socks just make your own!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I have to add, I've been using fuzzy microfiber socks with my Finis Rapid...I was getting ankle blisters and these add just enough padding and protection.

I buy 'em at the dollar store.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I've ordered these, as my MerFin gave me ankle blisters. It is a great fit but the straps have a little bump like an extra bit of rubber inside of it that rubbed a patch of skin off... And even though it is half a size smaller than what I usually wear in shoes, it felt sometimes like it was going to come off!
    I'll tell yous how it goes once I've received and worn them in the pool.

http://www.bodyboardking.com/p/61141...-fin-pads.html
    Formerly known as ireneho

I bought socks that go inside fishing waders, but they were too fat on my feet to get into my monofin so I cut them off at the toes to make booties.
    Mermaid Enora

I dont want to sound overly critical but Mimi just got a merfin and I tried it and hated it. I couldnt get past how awful it made my feet feel. I think I am spoiled with a competitor they tend to be roomie- but I have thin feet and I wasn't expecting the foot pockets to be so narrow. Mimi is going to try plain socks to see if they help because the other ones would be too thick. But wow. it wasn't even just the straps or anything I just found the whole thing mega uncomfortable lol. So kudos to anyone who wiggles their tootsies into those.

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I dont want to sound overly critical but Mimi just got a merfin and I tried it and hated it. I couldnt get past how awful it made my feet feel. I think I am spoiled with a competitor they tend to be roomie- but I have thin feet and I wasn't expecting the foot pockets to be so narrow. Mimi is going to try plain socks to see if they help because the other ones would be too thick. But wow. it wasn't even just the straps or anything I just found the whole thing mega uncomfortable lol. So kudos to anyone who wiggles their tootsies into those.
    Oh man, I know what you mean. I'm opposite in that I have short and wide feet--I LOVE the push and the flow of my MerFin SO much. But the footpockets are the actual worst I swear to god. They're so tight and boxy and square and the recycled rubber gives the worst blisters.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    The MerFin isn't for everybody I think. The foot pockets don't go very wide, even on the ones with bigger foot pockets. And yea, if you used some other type of monofin, its going to feel very strange and awkward using something else.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 09-22-2014 at 08:54 AM.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Do you guys think regular socks that are soft with a... tight knit, I guess you would say would work? My monofin fits weird, but I'm wondering if I could start out with my nice comfy socks first? I'll be swimming in a chlorinated pool so don't know if that would change anything.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I use nice comfy socks all the time! My faves are the dollar store super fluffy ones...nice and cushy! Chlorinated water shouldn't do anything. No more than washing socks in the washer with bleach!

I've been using socks in my fins for years. I just found some thin socks that fit well, and I leave them in the bag with my snorkeling set. I probably need a new pair this year.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    My mom always said her kids must be part fish... apparently she was right!

That which is striking and beautiful is not always good; but that which is good is always beautiful.
    ~ Ninon de L'Enclos

I tried wearing tight knitted socks and it hurt worse than not wearing anything.

I really like the smooth spandex socks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    Owner/Operator behind Tails & Portholes
    Store Blog
    - Personal Blog - Twitter - Instagram - Store Facebook
    This treasure cums for YOUR booty