Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Clear Monofin

Very nice, Mizuko! I've been thinking of making a Lexan/Zoomer monofin myself. Two questions: 1) what thickness did you use? I have made shadow puppets from lexan, but it was thin enough (0.2 mm) to cut with scissors. I assume something stronger would be needed for a monofin. 2) Do the Zoomers stay on comfortably with no slippage in the heels? I have long, narrow feet, and the lack of heel straps on Zoomers has me a little worried.

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene Web• Neptune's Keep Web• Facebook•MG YouTube•NK YouTube•Etsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Ah. I see Pearlie talked about thickness. I actually have some sheets of 0.2 mm lexan here already. I should give it a go!

Oh, wait. My sheets are .02 mm. Guess I'd better get some thicker stuff!
    Last edited by Mermaid Galene; 05-07-2014 at 02:59 PM.

Mermaid Galene Web• Neptune's Keep Web• Facebook•MG YouTube•NK YouTube•Etsy Shop

Galene, my thickness was 4mm! So super thick! But it holds up well and flexes really nicely
    As for the Zoomers, my feet did slip out of them once or twice, so I'll be wearing neoprene booties with them from now on! Other than that they were very comfortable

I wear neoprene half booties, too, so hopefully that will keep the fit comfy for me. I suppose once the zoomers and fluke are enclosed in the tail, your feet will probably be held in place.

Beautiful Mizuko! I'm so happy other people have used this idea!

You are so graceful in this video! I hope that when I can make/get my monofin I can be as good as you lol.

Has anyone had problems with the lexan cutting through a fabric tailcover? If so, what do y'all think could be put around the edges to keep that from happening?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Claudia View Post
    Has anyone had problems with the lexan cutting through a fabric tailcover? If so, what do y'all think could be put around the edges to keep that from happening?
    Fin Fun had it in the neoprene cover. And Magictail had a fleecy cover.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Member Pod of Oceania
    It looks cool, can't wait to hear how it went with the testing of it. If you end up in South Africa, Durban I know it went very well lol

would a Lexan monofin be good for a beginner mermaid? I'm a strong swimmer (10 years on competative youth swim teams). I'm looking for a cheaper DIY monofin to make so I don't have to invest in a professional monofin. all of the other "non professional" fins look like crap. I was also wanting a clear fin so i could make a transluscent/iridescent fluke. My design is for a fabric tail, but i'm trying to to my best to make a more realistic tail using the budget that i have. I'm just doing all of my research now to save my money.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
    would a Lexan monofin be good for a beginner mermaid? I'm a strong swimmer (10 years on competative youth swim teams). I'm looking for a cheaper DIY monofin to make so I don't have to invest in a professional monofin. all of the other "non professional" fins look like crap. I was also wanting a clear fin so i could make a transluscent/iridescent fluke. My design is for a fabric tail, but i'm trying to to my best to make a more realistic tail using the budget that i have. I'm just doing all of my research now to save my money.
    Ive made three monofins with Lexan, and they all worked fine. So, Yes.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!