Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Clear Monofin

Wow, this is all so interesting. I would love to see these in tails eventually!

Quote Originally Posted by Kishiko View Post
    I has questions!!!

1.) Do I have to have a plexiglass jigsaw blade? (Stupid me forget to order one :P) we have quite a flew types of blades, what else works?

2.) Are there certain dimensions that it needs to be? Right now my pattern is 18" x 30" but I'm not sure if that will be too big or not.

3.) What is the best way to cut the top area around the feet? Should it just be round or should there be a part where it cuts up and in? If that makes sense?

4.) Also what's the best way to cut the tips? Pointed or rounded?

sorry for so many questions! I don't want to mess it up lol!
    1. I actually can't answer this because I got my lexan cut at a local glass store. I paid $20 and it took them about 10 minutes to cut and sand it. In my opinion, this was money well spent!
    2. Mine is 18x24, and I find that it feels a bit large. I'm only 5 feet tall though. If you make it bigger, you can always cut it down like Kae did.
    3. Mine is cut straight with rounded corners. The feet stick slightly off of the blade.
    4. Round seems to be better. I'm not worried about it cutting through my fin or hurting people.

Well I'm just under 5'3".... I feel like mine might be too big

but thanks for all the answers! I appreciate it so much!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I'm 5'4" and mine is 22" x 36" and I went swimming in it, and while it is big, it's wonderful! At first, it had some wobbly side to side movement because there isn't any surface detail to push the water straight back, but once it's in a fluke, the sculpt will help compensate. You get the hang of it quickly even without the fluke. Yours isn't too big.

Okay I think I'll start with my size I have now and cut down if necessary. The only thing I'm worried about is that I probably not as strong a swimmer, while I still am a strong enough swimmer I just don't know for this, and I'm worried I'll have wasted a hunk of lexan if I need to trim it

If you find it unwieldy, you can always cut it down, but if not, practice with it until you are strong enough!

What about the blade type.?

Thanks so much for sharing your monofin! I've been re-inspired to make mine now. I just had a pair of TYR Burner fins show up today, so it's game on now!

Senior Member Euro Pod Azurin Luna's Avatar
    Add Azurin Luna on Facebook
    You need to use a blade for plexiglass. All the saw blades have different teeth on them, which makes them easier to use with the material they are designed for. Also some of the sawblades are hardened, other are not, which also makes a different. So to be safe and not getting a 'jumping' jigsaw use the correct blade and speed and pendulum of your machine.
    Your imagination is your only limit

If you have a router, use that instead! Make a pattern out of 1/2-3/4" plywood and use a bearing straight bit to cut the lexan. The router will give a nice edge finish instead of saw marks.

(for the noobs here, I built the first polycarbonate mono)

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    (for the noobs here, I built the first polycarbonate mono)
    Yeah, I remember! You make a how to about it on mer.yuku.com, the precursor to this forum. I converted your thread into a pdf cause it was so useful:
    http://mernetwork.com/imgs/Titania_Monofin.pdf

Clear Monofin

It's also linked in the official monofin thread (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?t=2909)

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    there is cheap Lexan on amazon!
    I might buy some and finally make a clear fin that's sturdier than my current ones.

The sheets are sold in different thicknesses; 0,75mm, 1mm, 2mm, and 5mm.
    Not sure what to use

The lexan I'm using is .093", or 2.36 mm. I think it's a good thickness, but I've also doubled it under my feet and the center of the monofin for more push. I like how the single thickness flexes in the water, and the propulsion is excellent. I think 5mm might be a bit stiff for a wide monofin. If you were to make a longer and narrower fin for your snake/naga tail, the thicker lexan would probably have a nice flow and flex while giving good propulsion. If it's that inexpensive, you can try both!

I would be careful buying "cheap" "lexan" off amazon, I've heard dome horror stories about people selling why they think is lexan but really is acrylic. Just warning you, if it won't bend on itself it's probably not lexan.

Hi everyone, just a quick question to those who've had their lexan monofins for a while: if you used polyzap on the foot pockets, how is it holding up? Would you recommend a secondary method of attaching the fins to the lexan sheet, or does the polyzap suffice on its own? I was just going to use the polyzap, but its always good to get some second opinions! XD

Lol, ok everyone I kind of answered my own question above:
    I finally finished my lexan monofin, attaching the Zoomers with just polyzap. and WOW! I'm genuinely surprised at how strong it is!
    Here's a video if you're interested (I posted it on my tail-making thread a few days ago too):

The propulsion is good, although my boyfriend says I swim 'differently' when in it: and that I can attest to, as I can see I am using my legs more than my stomach in this video. Not sure the reason! lol!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Fifi Tigg's Avatar
    Add Fifi Tigg on Facebook
    Follow Fifi Tigg on Flickr Visit Fifi Tigg's Youtube Channel
    Is polyzap available from Bunnings and which Isle is it kept in?
    http://make animated gifs like this at MakeaGif

Quote Originally Posted by Fifi Tigg View Post
    Is polyzap available from Bunnings and which Isle is it kept in?
    I'm not sure Fifi! XD I got mine online from an Aussie seller here: http://www.hobbytools.com.au/poly-za...ity-1-2oz-14g/

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Nice! You're going so fast too!