Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: ★ The Accessory Making FAQ ★

★ The Accessory Making FAQ ★

No problem MerHopefully and I'm not sure about other dollar trees but the one I went to only had white. They also had coconut tops when I went but I didn't buy any so I can't show you :-/

No problem MerHopefully and I'm not sure about other dollar trees but the one I went to only had white. They also had coconut tops when I went but I didn't buy any so I can't show you :-/

*sings* I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts...

Yeah, they've just got white shells. Since they are plastic, Krylon fusion spray paint would probably work well on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Mermaid View Post
    I've been using felt. It comes in zillions of colors and with the right glue it becomes a pretty sturdy base

Sent by star fish
    You know, I never would have thought of using felt! I've been using basically plastic sheeting to craft my bases. I went back and watched Raven's tutorial on how to get hair clips to stay in (I'm always sending that video to people cause it works so well!) and I realized she uses felt too! Wow... feel kind of like an idiot for never thinking of that XP Would probably make making them a whoooole lot easier! How do they hold up over time though I wonder? Seeing as felt can absorb and hold water, does it mess with the glue? What have you guys found?

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Morticia Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Morticia Mermaid On Twitter Add Morticia Mermaid on Facebook Add Morticia Mermaid on Google+
    Visit Morticia Mermaid's Youtube Channel
    I've not had any issues with my stuff, and I use all my personal stuff just about Egbert time I'm in the water.

I know I did a lot of testing when I started using it. Including letting it soak a couple days then trying to pull it apart (it being felt just glued to a shell). It suck well enough that I made it into a clip cause it wouldn't pull apart, lol

Sent by star fish
    I claim Pat 1001! ~Mermaid Morticia

Mermaid Tails and accessories available at ~ ♥Facebook- Siren's CallingGoogle+Website
    Morticia Mermaid FacebookGoogle+

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Morticia Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Morticia Mermaid On Twitter Add Morticia Mermaid on Facebook Add Morticia Mermaid on Google+
    Visit Morticia Mermaid's Youtube Channel
    Wow. Epic typo is epic. Meant every, not Egbert. Goes to show I shouldn't post while half asleep

Sent by star fish
    I claim Pat 1001! ~Mermaid Morticia

Mermaid Tails and accessories available at ~ ♥Facebook- Siren's CallingGoogle+Website
    Morticia Mermaid FacebookGoogle+

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Baha Egbert. I love it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Texas Naufra's Avatar
    Egbert time? Do I detect a Homestuck fan? Yay for half-asleep typos! I'm glad the felt works so well for you, Morticia, I may use it myself when I make my swimmable gear. I haven't exactly been in a hurry to do it since I haven't gotten to swim in well over a year.
    User formerly known as "Zicoxite".

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Mermaid View Post
    I've not had any issues with my stuff, and I use all my personal stuff just about Egbert time I'm in the water.

I know I did a lot of testing when I started using it. Including letting it soak a couple days then trying to pull it apart (it being felt just glued to a shell). It suck well enough that I made it into a clip cause it wouldn't pull apart, lol

Sent by star fish
    Thanks for letting me know about the testing I'll give it a try, do some quality testing of my own as well. I used clips using my bases for like a year and a half before I sold any, just to be sure they were really durable. For the felt, anything I sell before quality testing is completed.. well I'll just smother in e6000 :P Cause some of the styles I want to try I just won't be able to do with my regular bases. Thanks again!

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Is there anything you can use to glue something TO silicone? I want to put some pearls on some of Atlantis Mermaid's silicone shells.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Mermaid Jessica (among others) use SilPoxy from Smooth-On.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    Thanks for letting me know about the testing I'll give it a try, do some quality testing of my own as well. I used clips using my bases for like a year and a half before I sold any, just to be sure they were really durable. For the felt, anything I sell before quality testing is completed.. well I'll just smother in e6000 :P Cause some of the styles I want to try I just won't be able to do with my regular bases. Thanks again!
    Basic craft felt is plastic, not wool, and while it will hold some water, it's easily blotted out. Actually, you can coat the felt with silicone and work it in, to repel water, too!

Can anyone suggest a good place to get nice realistic fake seaweed online? I live in Australia, and none of the craft stores or pet shops have nice selections. Thanks!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Romy's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Romy On Twitter
    Follow Mermaid Romy on Tumblr Visit Mermaid Romy's Youtube Channel
    IKEA has fake plants that work really well! I found them by accident and they look really lovely. You just have to pull them from the foam bade

Base*

Awesome, I'm not too far from one, thanks Romy!

You're very welcome C:

There are also a lot of sites for faux floral supplies. Try searching terms like "artificial greenery foliage"

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Ilyena's Avatar
    Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Visit Ilyena's Youtube Channel
    Cheap as chips I have found has nice ones
    When Fantasy is Reality

Links: ^_^
    >
    Mermaid Ilyena >Adelaide Mermaids
    >
    Hippocampus Creations >Etsy

★ The Accessory Making FAQ ★

Thanks Iona, I tried searching things like "fake aquarium plants" and didn't have much luck finding anything nice!
    Ilyena: I'm not sure I have seen one of those stores, I'll keep an eye out! Thanks!
    Last edited by Mermaid Kate Silverfin; 08-10-2014 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Because I am a silly T____T

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kate Silverfin View Post
    Thanks Raina, I tried searching things like "fake aquarium plants" and didn't have much luck finding anything nice!
    Ilyena: I'm not sure I have seen one of those stores, I'll keep an eye out! Thanks!
    Lol I think you meant Iona. Since, you know, raina didn't post anything...