Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: ★ The Accessory Making FAQ ★

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but you can buy NEW netting from fishing and tackle shops. Or any place that sells fishing stuff.

Here are some names for them, Prawn Net Replacement, Landing Net Replacement, Boat Net Replacement, Keeper Net.

Prawn Netting is quite fine, almost like a thin thread. The rest are made with slightly thicker cords.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Naufra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    I've used push up bras for my tops and they were fine. It's mostly about picking material that will do well in the water and dry fast out of - which is why I've only found one brand that is strapless, nude, right fabric, and other stuff. They were regular ones though, not the "Bombshell" ones that make you 1-2 cup sizes bigger.
    What brand did you find that worked well for you, Iona? What materials would you recommend? ^_^
    User formerly known as "Zicoxite".

★ The Accessory Making FAQ ★

Bras made of nylon/spandex are best. Same material as we use to make tails and that bathing suits are made of. It holds up and doesn't sag in water, plus it dries faster. I like Warner's "this is not a bra" strapless. It's nylon, push up, strapless, underwire isn't visible (smooth front and smooth cups), silicone grip straps inside the band, AND they carry my size (34D). http://m.kohls.com/kohlsopenapi/prod...pless-1693.jsp

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Hmm, thanks winged mermaid! I might have to get me one. I have netting, seashell, and seaweed. lol Looks like I just need a bra.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I wear underwire padded sports bras, the kind for running, as it dries fast and the fabric keeps you cool.

It doesn't feel itchy when its wet, so that's another plus there.

And I prefer bras with thick wide straps cos I'm super paranoid about exposing myself even if it was an accident!
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 03-30-2014 at 08:18 PM.

Also, I just remembered- I've known some mermaids that made a top out of TWO self adhesive tops made into one, for more size in the chest area. They took one of the silicone bras that add a cup size and they sewed and/or glued it into a regular non-filled adhesive top that was the next cup size up from what they were. I suspect the same thing could be done with inserts and regular bras as well! Also you cold probably layer these to make the finished top multiple cup sizes larger, instead of just one. I know cosplayers do that kind of stuff all the time! The silicone ones are best becuase they're solid and neutrally buoyant. With too much foam, you could end up with it sagging down with water weight- not good!

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel

Good idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    As for keeping earrings from falling off underwater, I use leverback ear wires instead of normal fishhook-style. These things will not fall off! http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...-wires-449736/
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Munich Mermaid that's amazing. Like super amazing. Did you create a backing besides the headband to keep it vertical?
    "It is your choice to hide in a shell, or to be shrimply fintastic by being yourself"
    www.mermaidharmony.com
    MermaidHarmony@gmail.com Facebook:Mermaid Harmony Twitter: @MermaidHarmony

Leverbacks are an excellent idea, Aziara! When I made earrings for my niece I used leverbacks so they would be harder to lose.

Question, trying to make some hair clips, what do you guys use as a strong base? I've been using foam but it's more flimsy then I'd like. Thanks!
    "It is your choice to hide in a shell, or to be shrimply fintastic by being yourself"
    www.mermaidharmony.com
    MermaidHarmony@gmail.com Facebook:Mermaid Harmony Twitter: @MermaidHarmony

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Morticia Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Morticia Mermaid On Twitter Add Morticia Mermaid on Facebook Add Morticia Mermaid on Google+
    Visit Morticia Mermaid's Youtube Channel

Re: ★ The Accessory Making FAQ ★

I've been using felt. It comes in zillions of colors and with the right glue it becomes a pretty sturdy base

Sent by star fish
    I claim Pat 1001! ~Mermaid Morticia

Mermaid Tails and accessories available at ~ ♥Facebook- Siren's CallingGoogle+Website
    Morticia Mermaid FacebookGoogle+

And back on topic.... if anyone is looking for plastic sea shells in the USA, select Dollar Tree stores have them for $1. It's what I used to make my shell top and they are much lighter and easier to work with than real shells.

I'll have to check out our local dollar tree

Sent from my shellphone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I've been using felt. It comes in zillions of colors and with the right glue it becomes a pretty sturdy base
    I use felt too!!!

I upcycled scales that are used locally in window hangings and glue them on the felt and the clip. Then add all my embellishments and make hair extensions that are affixed as well. They're a HUGE hit at my parties, and we sell them at a local store.

Oh and btw those plastic shells from dollar tree are pretty great I painted them with a matt paint to make them look more realistic and they look pretty good so definitely go to your dollar tree stores and see if they have them!

How big are they, out of curiosity? or do you have a picture of the top?

I haven't finished mine yet I got distracted by other projects but this is what they look like. This is with paint on them, before they were pure white. I wear a C cup and they cover me alright but I'm putting them on a nude swim top for more support and coverage.

oooh thanks they look great!!i might have to pick some up even if i just use them as accessories or for a belt or something

I should see if there's a Dollar Tree in my area so I can look for them, those do look easier to work with than real shells and I probably could have saved some money considering how rarely I actually swim. What colors do they come in?