Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: ★ The Accessory Making FAQ ★

Oopsies yep T_____T how embarrassing! I'll edit that now, *blush*

I just went to Michaels this week to see what was on sale and I found a ton of fake plants on sale for 80% off!!!

Wow, good tip! Thanks!

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Hey guys, I need some advice for my living trident project. I have this plastic trident that I got at party city, but I want to attach a whole bunch of toy sea life, real shells, and so forth onto it. Obviously I'll need to coat the shells in resin (thanks for the tip) and now thanks to this thread, I have some idea of what glue to use (though the listed types DO work on plastic, right?), but since the hilt of the trident is a boring old black, I kinda wanted to coat it in something that would harden and look like coral (in pinks, turquoise, blue, green, purple, peach, etc, with that coral-like texture). I could also see highlighting the gold-looking part of the prongs with something to look like coral or algae. But I haven't the foggiest idea what might suit that purpose. Ideally, it'd be something that could double as glue, so I could immediately apply the shells and sea life, but I'm less picky about that... just need some ideas of where to look and what to look for. Any advice?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Don't use so much glue so that when you press the object onto the surface it blobs out the sides. With E6000, you only need to use very little. Its industrial strength so even that little bit will stick whatever, for a very very long time. Once dry, E6000 can be quite difficult to paint as it does not absorb paints very well and you'd have to experiment what works and what doesn't. That is another reason why you only need a tiny dab of it, then you can paint your surface(s) or in your case, your trident staff without worrying about how you'll cover the gluey bits.

For painting plastic or rubber, enamel paints work very well. Its the type in spray cans and some hobby shops you can find them in little jars. As for skin safe, you'll need a skin safe and waterproof glaze or resin to go over the paint.

Krylon has spray paints that work on plastic too. I think that is skin safe, but not 100% sure, you'd have to look it up yourself.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 09-13-2014 at 12:43 AM.

Senior Member Pod of Cali mermaidopal's Avatar
    Follow mermaidopal On Twitter Add mermaidopal on Facebook
    When you all attach sea shells to bras/belts, do they come pre-drilled? Do you drill them yourself? Or do you glue them on somehow?
    I want to make myself some accessories but I don't have access to any power tools.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Most folks tend to glue the shells down with E-6000 - I personally sew mine down. Glue and I don't really get along well together, and everything I have that has glue (whether I made it or bought it) tends to fall apart >.< My mertender has a Dremel, and he drills the holes for me.

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Thanks for the advice, Miyu. Specifically I'm thinking of attaching shells to netting. My first instinct would be to sew (i would think glue wouldn't work since there wouldn't be enough surface area) but in that case I would have to buy shells with holes drilled in them already.

Hmm, I don't think I've seen any large shells with pre-drilled holes... Do let me know if you find any - I'd be interested in seeing them!

If you can't find any with pre-drilled holes, maybe you could purchase some shells and have them shipped to someone who can drill them for you, then have them shipped to you?

TwitterFacebookInstagram

I have a number of shells with predrilled holes, including some 5 inch lion paws. Also have smaller mixed shells. Let me know if you are interested and I can send pics.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I just made molds of some pretty big shells, 1 large scallop baking shell, shallow and flat; and 1 good sized Lion's Paw. I cast them in white resin (lightweight and durable!) and I rotocast them so there is space inside for boobage! Ready to paint, and I can drill them before I send them out. I'll take a photo of them tonight, if you like...they are going to be available in my Etsy shop!

Ooh, PearlieMae, I'm going to have to check those out

TwitterFacebookInstagram

PearlieMae and BayouMermaid, pics would be great! ;D
    Also to those interested, I found some pre-drilled shells on Etsy:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1587875...?ref=hp_mod_rf
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1819711...ef=favs_view_5
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1289785...ef=favs_view_6
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1548330...ef=favs_view_7
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/9569747...f=favs_view_12

While we're on the topic of shells, I love abalone but I've heard that it's endangered. Does anyone know of shells that we mers should stay clear of? (It would be awkward if I was teaching kids about how to save the environment and then I had an endangered animal on my chest haha)

I personally try to only buy from sources that I know sell mainly shells from food-fishing and such - not critters that were caught and killed just for their shells! I'm trying to put together a list of ecological-minded shell/supplies vendors for my post in the environmentalism and conservation section of the forum

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Miyu, that sounds like a great contribution!

Here's NOAA's list of endangered invertebrates
    SpeciesStatus

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/...ates/#mollusca

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Is there any reason I rarely (if ever) see polished lion's paws used for tops? I'm thinking of using it for my next one, but I was wondering if there was some reason no one uses them.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

People use them for tops, they're just not common because finding them in person can be rare, and ordering online they tend to be overpriced. Also they can be a bit more on the fragile side (when compared to non polished) and chip easier. But yeah, people use them I've had 3 pairs sitting in my craft shells waiting to be used for a few years haha- I am horrid when it comes to procrastinating making tops :P So if you like them, yeah use them! They're very pretty

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    People use them for tops, they're just not common because finding them in person can be rare, and ordering online they tend to be overpriced. Also they can be a bit more on the fragile side (when compared to non polished) and chip easier. But yeah, people use them I've had 3 pairs sitting in my craft shells waiting to be used for a few years haha- I am horrid when it comes to procrastinating making tops :P So if you like them, yeah use them! They're very pretty
    Huzzah! I did find some for quite cheap at this site:
    http://www.seashellco.com/lions-pawn...57-p-1233.html
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    So I have everything I need to make my shell bra, but I've put off working on it because the next step is attaching the fake seaweed. I really REALLY don't like sewing and dread the thought of hand stitching all that (I need to use a lot since the lion's paws leave a lot of the bra uncovered).

My question is has anyone ever glued the plastic seaweed directly to the bra fabric? The glued down bits would later be covered by the shells so what it looks like is not an issue, but I worry about the glue not adhering to the plastic stems very well. I have both gorilla glue and E6000. I can still stitch down seaweed in some places, I just don't want to do it for dozens of pieces.
    "I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living." — Anaïs Nin