Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: ★ The Accessory Making FAQ ★

Senior Member Pod of Cali mermaidopal's Avatar
    Follow mermaidopal On Twitter Add mermaidopal on Facebook
    Mary, my top from Etsy has the seaweed glued down. Not sure what kind of glue the seller used, but it's definitely better than hand sewing the whole thing because that would take forever. I would advise hand sewing the high-impact areas (the spot in between the shells in the front has already had a couple pieces fall off) and if you figure out a good way to clamp it while it is gluing that would probably help the adhesion. Also, be careful to glue it while the fabric is stretched. If you don't, the glue will prevent it from stretching once it's dried and you won't be able to put it on!

I used E6000 for adhering my plastic plants to my bra cups, and I have yet to have any come off! I use gorilla glue to adhere the shells to the top as I find it's heavier weight. I also either find a way to clamp the shells while drying or apply glue as directed put on the bra, put the shells where I want them then lay stomach down so my weight acts as clamps till it starts to harden (about an hour).

Another tip I'd give you, is that you can bunch a few pieces of fax plants together with hot glue, then use E6000 to glue them to the bra. Works like a charm for me For the straps though, you have to either stretch the band while you glue/while the glue dries OR sew stuff on. I prefer to sew stuff when it comes to the bra strap because it keeping it's elasticity is important, and with all the stretching the glue is more likely to come off over time.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Senior Member Pod of Texas Naufra's Avatar
    Has anyone worked with this kind of shell before? Is it strong enough for a top?

http://www.deltonaseashells.com/inc/sdetail/130/180305
    User formerly known as "Zicoxite".

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    I've never seen one but it might be too narrow for a top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the 8-9 inches, in width or length? I think at 8-9 inches in length it might be a bit large for a top (unless you have a large top are that can fit 2 without looking awkward)

Senior Member Pod of Texas
    Pod of The South
    In the general area of Webster and Clear Lake in Texas
    I had a shell like that. It's not really a good shape for a top unless you have multiples on each side of the top, and that might be a bit uncomfortable.
    Swamp fish noises intensify

8-9" is what it would take to cover my boobs decently, Momo, I'm a very big lady even if my chest is proportionally small. I took measurements. I'm having a hard time finding big enough shells, regular lions paws are just too small. It seems to be the consensus that they're a bad shape, though, so I guess I'll have to keep looking.

Naufra, I'm not sure if this would be helpful but "Myth and Magic" on Etsy does silicone shells that are 6.5 x 6 " (https://www.etsy.com/listing/1652864...home_active_17) which is the largest I've found tbh. Pearlie Mae also sells cast shells on her Etsy which are smaller (5" I believe.https://www.etsy.com/listing/2110169...?ref=related-5) but she may be able to cast larger ones for you for a custom price? any shell that large unfortunately will probably be pretty expensive. Maybe you can get one of those and then put it on a bra and fill it in with smaller shells or greenery?

Pod of The South
    Naufra, I know how you feel in the boobage department. You could also get sequins to fill in extra space too.

Thank you for bringing those up, Opal. I have seen them before, and I just might ask Pearlie if she can help since neither of those would be big enough. The dry-wear top I currently have is actually studded with many small seashells. I will definitely need to add extra decorations no matter what shells I use, but I don't want it to look like seashell pasties on a bush. I've seen some that look like that, and it's not something I want for myself. Perhaps sequins are the way to go on this one, I'll look into that.

Pickles, the sad thing about this is that I'm actually a B-cup. 44-B.

"seashell pasties on a bush"
    LOL that's what I was worried about too. Sequins could be a good alternative! Or if you were able to save up, I think some of the silicone tops like the Merbellas seaweed ones would look awesome!

Pod of The South
    Oooh, that's not a size often seen. Opal, that's true too. Thing is, I'd have to pay a bunch extra for someone else to make a top for me because I'm a 34E and uh...bras are about eighty dollars apiece for me. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Aziara View Post
    Is there any reason I rarely (if ever) see polished lion's paws used for tops? I'm thinking of using it for my next one, but I was wondering if there was some reason no one uses them.
    *Paws at.... no pun intended.*

~*~ To Thine Own Mermaid Be True ~*~
    ~~~ Follow me on Facebook: Merlissa the Mermaid~~~
    Deviant Art Etsy Store YouTube Mermaid Blog Instagram

I've never seen them before. I can't imagine a reason why they couldn't be used though.

I believe someone responded earlier in the thread that the polished lion's paws aren't as strong as the regular ones and are more prone to chipping. Too bad, they're so pretty!

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Well, I just got in a pair from an ebay seller (If anybody is wondering, shrumer2000 is an awesome seller), and to say that they are 'weaker' than normal lion's paws is kinda misleading. You can say someone is weaker than the current heavy-weight wrestling champ, and they still could be pretty strong, lol. I'd say that polished lion's paws would be the same. The unpolished ones are pretty much unbreakable, so the polished ones are still somewhat tough. I wouldn't go banging them around, but I don't really think that tops get that much abuse. Unfortunately my camera is having trouble picking up the gorgeous shine and shimmer they have...
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

I look forward to seeing what you make with them, Aziara! ^_^

Good to know. I assumed they were a little thinner from pics, but it looks like they will make a great top!

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    [QUOTE=Merman Dylan;198372]Can someone help me with this? I want to make merman bracers, but I'm not sure about all the materials I need to do a good job. I have lots of wire to use. This the sculpting aluminum kind. I was wondering if you could offer any advice for making the Bracers and what kind of materials I need to use.[/QUOTE

Hi Dylan! Are you wanting bracers with fins and scales or more metal cuffs? You could create beautiful silicone bracers which would stretch to fit your arms with a small investment in the smallest shipment the Dragonskin comes in. It can be painted any color combination you wish as long as you mix the paint with the silicone.

Have you worked with it before?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    You need stainless steel wires. Any other type of wire and it will rust and tarnish. May also cause allergic reactions on the skin.
    Formerly known as ireneho