Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Masquerade Mergoggles

Follow LittlePolly On Twitter Add LittlePolly on Facebook
    Turned out nice! Great idea for mers with sensitive eyes that still want to look pretty with goggels.

In the words of Ron Ben-Israel, You are a sweet genius! lol Or a mer-genius... Probably shouldve put more thought into this... Anyway, those are cool and functional! Great combo!!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Echinacea View Post
    Just me being paranoid I'm so danged bouyant, it would probably be a minor miracle if I could get down to 10 feet deep!
    Buoyancy is only a problem at shallow depth- say, 1-2m below the surface.
    Once you're deeper, the water itself will keep you there.
    If you struggle a lot with staying down when tailswimming, I can only recommend a weight belt, it will totally change your mer-life!

And you can never be too paranoid about your health!
    I bought extra-large goggles, because I noticed many burst little veins in my eyes after diving with my smaller goggles.
    No deep diving either, I wasn't below 7 feet, but still.
    However, the big goggles squeezed my poor head so badly my headaches got ten times worse than they usually already are
    so I went back to my small goggles lol.

I'll try to make a similar mask with them, because I love how these turned out.
    Going for a "water-snake" look to pair with my snake hair

Senior Member Pod of Cali Ashton's Avatar
    Add Ashton on Facebook Add Ashton on Google+
    Follow Ashton on Tumblr Visit Ashton's Youtube Channel
    I really like the idea!!!! I just wonder if you need to seal the mask, and what kind of metal it was.

Senior Member Pod of New England Echinacea's Avatar
    Add Echinacea on Facebook
    I believe the masks listed on the Etsy site may be anodized aluminum. Not sure if you need to seal them or not, I'll check with my metalworking hubby and see what he says about the reaction of anodized aluminum and chlorinated pool water.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    That looks awesome!

Also, I am interested in the effects of chlorine/salt water on aluminum as well, particularly aluminum pop tabs - I have quite the collection, and have finally started making things out of them. Currently the items are meant for dry use only, but if possible I would like to use them in "swimmable" items as well

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Senior Member Pod of The South MermanZen's Avatar
    Hey Seavanna I think that's such a great and creative idea, I've been trying to figure out how to do something like that but never could figure it out, would you might consider making some merman mergoggle designs? If you can thanks

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    Hey Merman Zen, what would you like in a Merman Goggle design? I am considering making these and selling them on Etsy.
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Add Seatan on Facebook
    And to answer the question about what happens to aluminum in water... It oxidizes, a form of corrosion. It does not rust. Oxidization is called "white rust" because it looks like rust but does not flake off like rust. You can avoid oxidation by spraying it with clear coat primers available at car accessory and paint stores. Or you can just paint over the oxidization. Once it gets the "white rust," that actually acts as a protective layer and it will not corrode anymore.
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Well I've seen in so many mermaid tail designs that the tops match the tail if the merman goggles could be based on Mers tails then that would give you some design ideas

Re: Masquerade Mergoggles

Quote Originally Posted by Seavanna View Post
    And to answer the question about what happens to aluminum in water... It oxidizes, a form of corrosion. It does not rust. Oxidization is called "white rust" because it looks like rust but does not flake off like rust. You can avoid oxidation by spraying it with clear coat primers available at car accessory and paint stores. Or you can just paint over the oxidization. Once it gets the "white rust," that actually acts as a protective layer and it will not corrode anymore.
    Anodized aluminum though should resist oxidization better.
    I feel the seawater in my veins. I listen to the roar of the sea and it speaks to me like a mothers voice. The tide pulls at my heart. - Night Tide

I finally designed my own merman mergoggles
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Add Seatan on Facebook
    See this is what we need designed in silicone. The mask part to go over goggles! It would stick well to the face, feel fishy, and be water resistant!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Great idea! When I get a few minutes, I might try a version in silicone to fit standard goggles! I like swimming with goggles when I'm on a personal swim.

ya anyone can make them it doesn't coast that much for goggles and if a Mer has some silicone left over its a good way to make sure it doesn't go to waste, make something creative and usable with it

Add Seatan on Facebook
    I love my masquerade goggles! It makes me feel so much less dweeby, LOL. I would totally get other designs if people made them. Whenever I swim in a high chlorine pool, I always wear goggles. I am okay in, say, hotel pools and private pools, but at the gym and at rec centers they REALLY turn up the chlorine. One drop can shrivel my contacts! So I like the fact that my goggles look relatively pretty, so that if I do a job at a pool with really high chlorine and I am giving kids rides or something, I can wear them without looking majorly weird. I just don't feel safe carrying kids on my back if I can't open my eyes and see where I am going.

ya im the same way when your carrying kids your going to want to see there your going

Love the idea! I still cant open my both eyes underwater, just one! >_<

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Crystal Shimmer's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer On Twitter Add Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Tumblr Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Flickr Visit Mermaid Crystal Shimmer's Youtube Channel
    What a great idea! As soon as I have some money I'll try something like this out. =D

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Seavanna View Post
    See this is what we need designed in silicone. The mask part to go over goggles! It would stick well to the face, feel fishy, and be water resistant!
    YES!!!