Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Masquerade Mergoggles

Quote Originally Posted by Echinacea View Post
    If you are just using it as trim, it may not be so bad, but real leather can shrink when it dries, if it gets wet.
    well. that explains why my jacket shrunk..
    The SeaGlass Siren

And real leather also get very hard after getting wet and get dry again

Just a thought... what do y'all think about mergoggles with a mask that is covered in scales. I think it might look too reptillian, but it could be cool. I need to draw this out...

Love it! Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMermaid View Post
    Just a thought... what do y'all think about mergoggles with a mask that is covered in scales. I think it might look too reptillian, but it could be cool. I need to draw this out...
    Scales and fun like things on the side for ears. It sounds awesome
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Seashell ears!

These are from Empires of the Deep, I was waiting for its release here in Australia, but I read elsewhere it has been canned. Its like an Asian underwater version of Avatar.
    I love the swim caps on the ladies in the 2nd photo!

http://csuk-1t.deviantart.com/art/EM...rman-305546080
    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=s...ml%3B610%3B513

Brilliant idea! I am extremely nearsighted, and I really want to see where I'm going underwater. For me goggles are necessary! I'm going to try dressing them up. I've just ordered 3 masks from Etsy: a filigree metal one like Seavanna's (but in light blue), a white lace mask, and a peacock plastic filigree mask. I'm going to try silicone gluing a clip or two onto each mask so that I can just clip it onto the goggles when I want to. That way I can swap out the masks easily to match my costume.

And for indoor gigs, I'll decorate my eyeglasses with sea fans, fake coral, etc. Sort of Elton John-ish. Why should we sacrifice clear vision when there are so many great possibilities for artistic merwear for the eyes?

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I hate swimming without my goggles. Being able to swap them out is a great idea!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania
    might try fitting a mask on goggles =) I can't swim without them
    All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    -Walt Disney

Add catchan1980 on Facebook
    Hello! There are all wonderful suggestions. I am very new to mermaiding (in fact, I had my first mermaid swim only last month. Meh) and I cannot open my eyes underwater. I have access to a chlorinated pool but I need to travel a bit to go to the sea.
    I love your designs and hopefully, I can design my own soon

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Many good ideas here.
    Please do tell if someone designs that silicone (or other) "put over goggles"-mer mask

if a child asks about them, a great idea would be to say "mermaids need glasses, too!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    user formerly known as mermaidofthelabyrinth

Just tell them "the air on land hurts my eyeballs."
    The SeaGlass Siren

This idea makes me happy. I've been thinking about chlorine, goggles, and toying with what if I didn't use them... I already wear glasses and so am a uncertain about going bare-faced myself.

I'm so glad to have seen this thread. Its given me quite a few ideas for some mer-goggles. I swam in a pool this last weekend and my eyes are STILL bothering me so I'd love to have an alternative.
    Formerly known as MermaidSasha

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Cataleya's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Cataleya on Facebook
    if you or anyone else makes them from silicone let me know i'd love to buy one.
    "In the depth in find our soul, in darkness we find our true self. "

This thread is fantastic! That goggle mask turned out really really well.

I'm ridiculously short sighted and have prescription goggles and a prescription mask. I'm planning to make something to cover the mask when I swim, shaped like butterfly wings to match my tail. I've also considered making a mask to cover an old pair of glasses.

The first time I tried swimming without goggles I discovered I couldn't see anything at all, and I suddenly saw the benefit of swimming with your arms out in front of you! I bounced off the floor of the pool a few times...

I've seen a few people mention contact lenses - please please don't!! I used to wear lenses and normal goggles but then found out that this puts you at risk of serious eye infection. There's a specific waterborne bacteria (can't remember the name) that's good at attaching to the surface of lenses and breeding. You could end up needing a corneal transplant or going blind. My optician confirmed this, so I've never worn contacts in the pool since.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by LouLouBelle View Post

I've seen a few people mention contact lenses - please please don't!! I used to wear lenses and normal goggles but then found out that this puts you at risk of serious eye infection. There's a specific waterborne bacteria (can't remember the name) that's good at attaching to the surface of lenses and breeding. You could end up needing a corneal transplant or going blind. My optician confirmed this, so I've never worn contacts in the pool since.
    Indeed.
    Acanthamoeba. Can live in chlorine.
    One of the reasons I wouldn't go "bare" into water.

A noseplug is a good idea too for those who feel unlucky enough to pick up balamuthia or naegleria fowleri.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    Indeed.
    Acanthamoeba. Can live in chlorine.
    One of the reasons I wouldn't go "bare" into water.

A noseplug is a good idea too for those who feel unlucky enough to pick up balamuthia or naegleria fowleri.
    Why did I have to google those words!!! Now my paranoia has set in, next time onwards, I'll be wearing my snorkel mask!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Lol! Better to be paranoid and still be able to see!!