So after slamming teeth first into the bottom of the pool 'cause I couldn't see, I decided to try and make myself some attractive mergoggles. I know a lot of people have talked about it, but I haven't found a thread yet where anybody went through with it, so here we go!

First thing was obviously to decide what to do for a mask. I looked online and found some light weight, laser cut metal masquerade masks that covered just the eye area. Yeah, it may eventually rust, but if I rinse it and dry it after every wear in the water, it should last for awhile. I decided to go with the purple.

Name:  il_570xN.519500444_1fwx.jpg
Views: 1556
Size:  86.9 KB

It's from 4everstore in Etsy.

Then I needed goggles, obviously. I searched for a pair that would show my whole eye in the opening of the metal, and found the clear TYR Racetech were the goggles for the job--when I put the mask over them, all you could see was my eyes, the goggles didn't show at all!

Name:  71uGFa72VZL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 1570
Size:  48.3 KB

Downside, they have a white strap, so I will be hitting up JoAnn's for a clear elastic band today. I tried using fishnet tied around the white elastic, but I just didn't like how it looked. Clear elastic will be easy to hide under my hair, and since the sides of the goggles are also hidden by the mask (I bent it slightly to shape), it will give a nice effect.

So, time to put them together. Easy, right? Uh... not so much. My hands are now covered with Gorilla Glue and I am going to have to drive half an hour to a different mall to get another pair of TYR Racetechs thanks to accidentally smearing the goggle lenses with glue--NOTE TO SELF: Tape eyes off goggle lenses before adding glue anywhere!

The goggles only touch the mask at the nose bridge and a little bit on each side due to the shape of the lenses, so the Gorilla Glue was a major Fail thanks to it being so precariously fitted that I couldn't clamp the goggles and mask together long enough for the glue to dry. I think once I get the new pair, I will first hot glue the mask to the goggles to give it stability, then apply gorilla glue or maybe E6000 around the hot glue.

Anyhoo, tis the start of my mergoggle adventure. I shall keep ye updated. Honestly, I think it's going to look REALLY cool. I was SO pleased by how well you could see my eyes through the eyeholes (like there were no goggles at all), at least before I smudged the lenses with Gorilla Glue!