Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Gothic merfolks out there? (looks around)

Senior Member Pod of Cali angelstarfish's Avatar

Follow angelstarfish on Tumblr Visit angelstarfish's Youtube Channel

Any Gothic merfolks out there? (looks around)

I consider myself to be a Steampunk/ Rockabilly Goth. I also have my own Gothic blog dedicated towards the subject:

http://petitegothgirl.blogspot.com/

Please tell me I’m not the only Gothic mer out there!!!

“You were born wild. Never let them tame you." -Martha Graham

Friend me on Facebook!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/angel.starfish.56?fref=ts
    Follow me on Facebook!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Merma...0458609?ref=hl
    Watch me on YouTube!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCms...FN3FTTdGW78e0Q
    Follow me on Tumblr!!!
    http://mermaid-angel-starfish.tumblr.com/
    Check out my site!!!
    http://mermaidangelstarfish.wix.com/angel-starfish
    Follow me on Twitter!!!
    @sssmermaid

“Children of the sea,
    Lie down your heads to sleep
    As the maidens of the sea
    Carry you down to the deep…”

~Mermaid Lullaby

Senior Member Euro Pod Azurin Luna's Avatar
    Add Azurin Luna on Facebook
    I have gothic clothing, but also a lot alternative clothing, as I like both clothing styles.
    Name:  206634_395228647231854_419263080_n.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  60.5 KB
    Your imagination is your only limit

I think there are a number of us from dark subcultures around here. Not a ton of us. But we're here.

Personally, I've always been the dark and 'surly' type (I'm not really surly... it's something often assumed lol) - my childhood was spent reading Poe, listening to horror vintage radio shows (on cassette, of course, it was the 70s), and building insect cemeteries in our side yards. So being part of the goth subculture by the time I was 14 made sense and was the first place I found where I was totally accepted for who I was. Until then I spent my life being called weird and told I was somehow wrong for loving the things I did. I don't mind being different, but I needed to grow up enough to not care that others (who must have nothing better to do) kept pointing it out and using it to feel better about themselves. So odd.

So at this point, I've been in the darker subcultures for about 30 years.

And if there is one thing people outside the subculture don't get, it's how much it's just a part of one's life, not a 'thing you do.'

And also. We all stay out of the sun so much you can't tell how old we are.

Of course, I also understand how many people who would be in the subculture if they could simply don't have it around them, so don't get me wrong. Being 'a part' of the subculture isn't some kind of qualifier. It's easiest in cities where you can find events, or if you're connected online and can do things like Convergence or other big dark events.

In So Cal, there are events like Bats Day in Disneyland, the Nightmare Before event, and things like that to do for fun. Just to be around like minds if nothing else, though Bats Day has gotten kind of huge.

Hence, I'm a very dark mer type.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Fun123joker's Avatar

Follow Fun123joker on Tumblr
    im really instrested into steampunk if that counts :3

gif. from Free! Eternal summer ending
    ・゚: *✧・゚:* \(◕ω◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

I have a child now so I can't dress as outwardly as I used to, especially since most of the families my husband works with here are way into drama so they will most likely spread rumors) but I still have some of the clothes, and I get to wear them around the house.
    Last edited by drucilla; 02-04-2014 at 11:41 PM. Reason: remove husbands occupation

I'm somewhere in the Goth Genre. I don't think people really realize it at first, because I do enjoy color splashes, but the music, the general styling, the humor, the Disneyland .... Yeah.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

Re: Any Gothic merfolks out there? (looks around)

I'm of the darker persuasion as well. Somewhere between goth and cyberpunk as far as regular day style. My first tail will be something like a deep sea creature. I usually look extremely serious in public but I am really a goofball once you get to know me.
    Last edited by Dee Tal; 11-08-2013 at 10:48 PM.
    I feel the seawater in my veins. I listen to the roar of the sea and it speaks to me like a mothers voice. The tide pulls at my heart. - Night Tide

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I used to be pretty goth as a teenager.
    Was very much into dark creatures of the night stuff (was born in Transilvania, go figure).

I still have loads of gothic and dark medieval clothes which I only wear around Halloween nowadays xD

Other than being extremely pale and avoiding the sun (and being nocturnal for 2 weeks of the month), there's nothing much gothic about me now, but I still appreciate the style on others if it's well done.

Hello!

Steampunk Mermaid here! *waves*

And as for anything Goth like, the closest I have is my Sugar Skull Mermaid. Recently debuted this year. XD

Re: Any Gothic merfolks out there? (looks around)

I love the shell out of both those tails/styles!
    I feel the seawater in my veins. I listen to the roar of the sea and it speaks to me like a mothers voice. The tide pulls at my heart. - Night Tide

SINically just blew my mind.

I've been gothy since my mom started letting me pick what clothes I got - so, whenever I hit 13, becuase before that it was all hand me downs and things she'd come home from the store with that she picked out herself. I've been described as an eclectic person, but goth and punk are definitely in the top I'm interested in steam and diesel punk, and cyber and raver fashion. My other big loves are Renaissance, medieval, and victorian fashion. A chuck of my clothes are also described as "hippy" clothes as well. The problem with all of these? They're so freaking expensive!!

Oh, the pretties I would buy if I could! I tell you I almost lost my cool when I was about $2k in to my tail savings and was stuck there for nearly a year.. I almost splurged on massive amounts of pretty clothes! I go for bargain stuff when I can instead, or goth/punk it up with accessories. I've grown out of a lot of my good stuff I got in high school (when I was a stick).

Quote Originally Posted by drucilla View Post
    I have a child now so I can't dress as outwardly as I used to, especially since my husband is in the military (most of the military families here are way into drama so if he deploys they will most likely spread rumors) but I still have some of the clothes, and I get to wear them around the house.
    Thus the reason I never hang around with most other military wives, and never live on base. Ungodly amounts of pointless drama. I'm sorry you feel you have to suppress yourself I have plenty of friends who have children and they don't let that change who they are or how they dress. But I also understand on base drama can turn into more serious issues, becuase there's always that one who will go way over the top and drag higher ups into things -_-

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Total dark-sider here, you guys might enjoy reading my blog

The Chimera Journals

Http://TheChimeraJournals.blogspot.com

I love the steampunk mermaid getup, is it swimmable?

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    I'm of the darker persuasion as well. Somewhere between goth and cyberpunk as far as regular day style. My first tail will be something like a deep sea creature. I usually look extremely serious in public but I am really a goofball once you get to know me.
    Same, I'm looking at getting an angler fish tail, the one from merbellas is a fine example. And a custom trident from a speargun to do spear-fishing, as my mersona is a huntress

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    I'm sorry you feel you have to suppress yourself I have plenty of friends who have children and they don't let that change who they are or how they dress. But I also understand on base drama can turn into more serious issues, becuase there's always that one who will go way over the top and drag higher ups into things -_-
    I have a four year old and I would never suppress who I am because it would teach her the wrong lesson. I'm teaching her to be who she is, no matter what category it might or might not fall under, and I can't teach her that if I'm not giving the example myself. But if you're in a situation where you have to modify a bit, that's not new to anyone. Heck, CorpGoths are everywhere in business and have usually had to modify to a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChimera View Post

I love the steampunk mermaid getup, is it swimmable?
    I probably could swim in it but I wouldn't attempt it since it is made with micro-suede and a leather like material.

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    SINically just blew my mind.
    LOL! Oh my...

Yeah, thought as much, it would go all soggy and gooey, blegh. Still looks awesome though. Did you line it with suede inside?

I like the goggles. suppose one could transmogrify an ordinary pair of swimming goggles in a similar fashion to use while doing a gig as a steampunk mer. Potentially epic.

Senior Member Pod of Cali AtlantisDreamer's Avatar
    Follow AtlantisDreamer On Twitter Add AtlantisDreamer on Facebook
    Visit AtlantisDreamer's Vimeo Channel
    I was a goth in junior high and high school, the only one I might add. I have a variety of different fashions and musical tastes now, although I do have a real appreciation for the darker side of life. I'd love to have a gothic tail... Not so much steampunk, although that tail in the above photo is incredibly badass... At this point I can't afford much more than the tail I have now but I'd really like to get a black Neoprene tail eventually.
    ~ Merlina ~

Natalie D. Davis, R.H.

natalie@davisspiritualcare.com
    www.DavisSpiritualCare.com
    TheMermaidPriestess.com

Licensed & Board Certified Registered Healer
    Licensed Angel Therapy Practitioner®
    Licensed Past Life Healer®
    Certified Advanced Angel Tarot and Oracle Card Reader™
    Certified [in] Indigo Awakening Studies™

Senior Member Pod of Cali AtlantisDreamer's Avatar
    Follow AtlantisDreamer On Twitter Add AtlantisDreamer on Facebook
    Visit AtlantisDreamer's Vimeo Channel
    I wish I could sew... I have TONS of tail sketches but my mother never taught me to sew... I can't even use a sewing machine.
    ~ Merlina ~

Natalie D. Davis, R.H.

natalie@davisspiritualcare.com
    www.DavisSpiritualCare.com
    TheMermaidPriestess.com

Licensed & Board Certified Registered Healer
    Licensed Angel Therapy Practitioner®
    Licensed Past Life Healer®
    Certified Advanced Angel Tarot and Oracle Card Reader™
    Certified [in] Indigo Awakening Studies™