Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any Gothic merfolks out there? (looks around)

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantisDreamer View Post
    I wish I could sew... I have TONS of tail sketches but my mother never taught me to sew... I can't even use a sewing machine.
    Well, that's pretty defeatist. There's absolutely no reason you can't teach yourself to sew.
    Ten billion tutorials online is a good place to start!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    ^^True.
    I couldn't sew before I made my tails.
    While it was a nerve-wrecking experience the first time round, I got the hang of it.

It's definitely worth learning!

Any Gothic merfolks out there? (looks around)

You could alwAys watch a tutorial on youtube or google a simple sewing technique and try it on a few small pieces of fabric and make tiny bags and pockets to practice making seams. Thats what I did as a kid to teach myself.

Senior Member Pod of Cali AtlantisDreamer's Avatar
    Follow AtlantisDreamer On Twitter Add AtlantisDreamer on Facebook
    Visit AtlantisDreamer's Vimeo Channel
    It really boils down to the fact that some people can sit and do something monotonous for hours, others can't. I'm in the latter group. I have bad ADHD and had extreme frustration just sewing a band patch onto a hoodie one time. I don't think I'm being defeatist, but rather just have something different going on in my head than others. I do like to do designs and sketches though, especially in Photoshop, so I'll probably end up designing my silicone tail but paying someone else to make it for me :-/
    ~ Merlina ~

Natalie D. Davis, R.H.

natalie@davisspiritualcare.com
    www.DavisSpiritualCare.com
    TheMermaidPriestess.com

Licensed & Board Certified Registered Healer
    Licensed Angel Therapy Practitioner®
    Licensed Past Life Healer®
    Certified Advanced Angel Tarot and Oracle Card Reader™
    Certified [in] Indigo Awakening Studies™

I sew and I hate it. lol I do it because I need to sometimes, and I've made some great items- corsets, cloaks, bloomers, skirts. It is nice to be able to throw something together last minute... I recently sacrificed my duvet cover to make a skirt, so I could go out. I ended up meeting my bf that night, it was sooo worth it. But yeah, I actually don't like it, and I find it monotonous and boring, and would rather be able to buy all the things I want and/or need. And as maddening as that is, I don't have adhd. That would, I imagine, make it really suck.

However... I have a dissociative disorder, and when going through a highly stressful time, I did forget how to sew in the middle of a jacket project. lol It eventually came back to me.

My sisters, however, are like divine seamstresses. They love it and have sewn for major opera and other theatre companies.

Still, it's nice to be able to make a corset... like what I'm working on now, from scraps of red velvet and a corset making kit I got years and years ago from Laughing Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by deepblue View Post
    I sew and I hate it. lol I do it because I need to sometimes, and I've made some great items- corsets, cloaks, bloomers, skirts. It is nice to be able to throw something together last minute... I recently sacrificed my duvet cover to make a skirt, so I could go out. I ended up meeting my bf that night, it was sooo worth it. But yeah, I actually don't like it, and I find it monotonous and boring, and would rather be able to buy all the things I want and/or need. And as maddening as that is, I don't have adhd. That would, I imagine, make it really suck.
    OMG Same here! Everyone seems to think (my family included) that I LOVE to sew.

I don't. I f*****g hate it. But I am a control freak and I like having costumes. So sewing it is!
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

i used to be "goth" in high school. i'd love to have an entire closet full of victorian-inspired clothes, but unfortunately, it's super expensive.

i do, however, listen to metal, and i love dark colors my walls are dark purple and the whole room is dragons-and-celtic-knot themed.

​formerly Mermaid Brianna

I used to be as well. Wore a lot of black and lace.. But I grew tired of maintaining the look so I wear whatever I feel like wearing. Fancy dress clothes, dresses, skirts, heels, sweatpants and sneakers, tights and sweaters. Blarg!
    The SeaGlass Siren

Ya know, half my friends in teh subculture wear nothing but jeans and tshirts no matter the occasion. There's no dress code. Yeah, they're mostly in black jeans and tshirts, lol. But the defining characteristic seems to be an appreciation of the darker things that informs the personal aesthetic and life in general. As much as I love my Victorian and golden era fashion sensibilities, when I go to club I am in what is comfortable, so that I can dance. Usually it's a simply skirt, breathable camisole or tank top, shell and sea glass jewelry, and my Victorian boots because they've been my dancing shoes for 15 years or so.

I'm trying to distract myself. A friend of mine died this morning, quite unexpectedly. He has been in the subculture for years also, and we dated about 7 years ago. He had a wife and a daughter and a son not yet born. And this morning, his wife found him unconscious and not breathing. I'm so unfathomably sad for her. For his children. I'm sad and it's unreal, but... ah, here in So Cal, the goth scene has lost someone who many, many people loved. It's unknown how he died right now, it was so unexpected. He was only in his early 30s. RIP, Jesse.

I turn to the water to find my solace. Listening to the waves crashing.

Since we're all mers here, what are some of your favorite dark mer items out there? I decided I couldn't find what I love, so I made them. Was going to sell them on Etsy, but I couldn't afford to buy boxed to ship them in, ha. This has been a rough year, financially. But now I have some great shell, net, sea glass jewelry.

What are your favorite ways to indulge the dark mer side of you? So much of it is all sugar and light.

Also, I'm so goth threads just die after I post.

Oh shit sorry!! Well.... I listen to metal.. Songs about mermaids
    The SeaGlass Siren

No no, I'm joking. I seriously do seem to kill threads on forums. lol

For some reason I think I've been killing threads too lol ._.
    The SeaGlass Siren

I suppose I could think of it like a less-murdery version of luring sailors to their deaths. >.<

Lol that's one way to put it lol.. Sending them to a Watery hell soaked locker
    The SeaGlass Siren

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    Hey! Gothic mermaid here! Romantigoth at heart, although I am interested in Steampunk style lateley.
    Love metal music, vampires, tea, absinthe, horror novels, horror movies, cemeteries, vampires, ankhs, and most of the clichés embraced by Goth subculture. Did I mention I love vampires?
    I am also a follower of Jillian Venters

Surly, I am so sorry for your loss.
    Regarding your question, I find difficult to find "dark" items related to mermaids. If any of you guys know about this point me in the right direction, please.
    As a fun fact, I do know about this video, which has dark mermaids:

And I have this companion for my mer persona:

Name:  mini cthulhu.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  532.4 KB

I love Lovecraft!
    Last edited by Talia; 01-27-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Plushiethulu! He's adorable. <3

omg. Your mentioning Jillian Venters made me recall her Tumblr, which had the trailer for the new Malificent movie coming out. It. Looks. Incredible!

ANYWAY. Yes, dark mer things... I've come to the conclusion that I have to make my own accessories, which is cheaper and more fulfilling, anyway. And I'm lucky to live right where I can go down to the sand at low tide and find some pretty nice shells. I find a lot of black shells of various sizes. Which is working for me. And I can check them to make sure no one is home, and if it's occupied, it goes into the tide pools and the little critter inside lives another day. One reason I don't like ordering from someone else anyway is that issue of where the shells come from, and if anyone was living there when it was harvested. There's a big problem right now with various species of sea creature being depleted because of sea shell, sea star, and sea horse collection from the wild. Problems like this are something I want no part of: Loving the Chambered Nautilus to Death

Thank you for your condolences. It's been a rough year for my circle of friends and acquaintances. We keep losing loved ones to death, and all far too soon. They still don't know why Jesse simply died one morning at age 33. And a little while later, I learned my friend Bob died, also. In the past three years, I've lost five friends, and my friends lost three others whom I didn't know. I feel grateful that so far in 2014, we haven't lost anyone else so far. I hope it stays that way. Having a comfort with or an acceptance of death, desire for the eventual to be a good death, certainly doesn't mean wanting it soon or wanting to unexpectedly have friends in their 30s dying one after the other.

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    My big brother used to call me the gothic-mormon-hippie-child-of-the-corn.
    I have gothic influences, I suppose, and when I was in high school I did some kind of dark drawings. I'm kind of a weird one, because I love all kinds of stuff. I'll watch Queen of the Damned or Nightmare Before Christmas just as readily as I will The Holiday or Phineas and Ferb. I'm just as likely to wear a corset and heavy chains as I am a colorful sundress (half the time I wear some kind of costume, though). It depends on my mood, and where I'm going.
    Vintage, New age, Hippie, sometimes country,
    Victorian and Steampunk,
    Medieval and Renaissance,
    and especially mermaid.
    I love it all. I'm eclectic.
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Member Pod of Texas mermaid_ashes's Avatar
    Add mermaid_ashes on Facebook
    Oh hi. I guess I'm goth, im waaaay too many things really. but I digress. I've been listening to goth music and in the goth subculture since high school I guess. I dont really dress goth anymore just because i got tired as hell of wearing black(i dress vintage 40s 50s now). haha. but I love the music, metal, industrial, ebm, death rock, goth rock new agey stuff. I used to spend a lot of time in goth clubs but I don't as much anymore. So yes, I'm goth.

Also Cthulhu plushie! I have one too! XD

As far as dark themed mermaid accessories...I dont know if my mersona would be very dark in nature. I haven't quite gotten there yet with my mersona. I have however been sort of on the look out for horror movie mermaids. I guess in relation to being goth I like the idea of spooky evil mermaids as well. heh.

Senior Member Euro Pod selkie13's Avatar
    Love Goth stuff, would love too look Goth and to wear Goth stuff but can't afford too if I want to get a tail...
    And Talia I LOVE that plush! I so want one.