Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any Gothic merfolks out there? (looks around)

^I never understand that- I do see people say it a lot. But then, I don't see goth as just what people wear, although it is clearly also a fashion category. Besides... black comes in all price ranges. I think people must be referring to particular styles that fall under the goth umbrella.

Personally, I don't see Steampunk as falling under the goth umbrella- it can go there, but it's not automatically. I do see dark Victorian and dark neoVic as that, because of the Dark part. But there is a reason why most goth lists and groups have been banning the 'what is goth' question since the 90s. It has no simple answer.

I didn't start this thread- if I had, I think I'd have asked if there were any dark-subculture or dark-aesthetic mers, because it covers so much more, and so many more people. Still, don't take that wrong. I'm glad for this thread.

On FB, there is this thing people call Throwback Thursday. I posted a pic of me at 16, and I was thinking of how long it's been my subculture, the one I always came back to, no matter how many changes my life and self took. And why- because while I have *never* fit in anywhere, and always feel out of place everywhere, and I am used to that- even here, I don't feel I fit in and I don't mesh with other mers like some do- the goth subculture is the one place that I didn't feel so different. So while I never tried to fit in anywhere, and I didn't change who I was because of feeling so out of place, actually coming to a place where I don't feel like I'm sticking out like a sore thumb just feels nice now and then. I don't actually like attention. I've always accepted that if I look something out of the mainstream (something that is so common now, but when I was in my teens colorful hair got us kicked out of school, not to mention- ideas of what is mainstream have seriously changed over time) I would have to accept attention, even if I didn't like it. I love the goth subculture, and other dark aesthetic subcultural realms, for having allowed me to not feel like I'm being stared at just for wearing what I like. I needed that back then. Heck, I like it now, too.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Naufra's Avatar
    So I'm not the only one here who likes it dark and spooky? Awesome! I wasn't expecting to find fellow dark-siders here, to be honest.
    User formerly known as "Zicoxite".

We're everywhere... muwahahahaa. ha.

Oh,- for those of you who haven't yet, check out fellow mernetwork member Dark Tide Production's FB page. He posts lots of darker mer stuff. https://www.facebook.com/darktideproduction

Senior Member Euro Pod selkie13's Avatar
    @surlyseanymph, if I wanted to get the clothes its a fortune online and there are no localisj stores, even at my nearest city! Well that's a lie but its either men's or seem like its all men's clothing. I mean 45 pounds for a shirt, no way I'm buying that.

I guess I could be called goth, although I don't wear goth style clothing as exclusively as I used to, and these days I love my bright pastels as much as I love the darker aesthetics. About five years ago I was absolutely your stereotypical goth - in fashion, music, everything. But then I started branching out more, at least with my fashion tastes. I wear lolita fashion mostly these days (hime, sweet and gothic lolita). My music taste has never changed though, I'm really into metal and I have always had a particular liking for symphonic and gothic metal.

The dark side is always good
    Love that music man and that video

Senior Member Pod of Texas Kaila Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Kaila Mermaid On Twitter Add Kaila Mermaid on Facebook
    Follow Kaila Mermaid on Tumblr
    Not sure if Id really call myself goth anymore, but I will say I own a lot more black fishnet than is typically deemed normal. That and metal, whether it be 80's metal to SlipKnoT, to Amon Amarth. I consider myself somewhat of a darker mer style, at least currently. My lifestyle and clothing is so eclectic though that it's hard to pigeonhole me into just one, or even three, categories. I wear anything from preppy to hard goth and back. Like I saw Iona post earlier, I've gone more towards a hippie sort of vibe. I'm also glad to see that I'm apparently not the only mer out here who has issues with sunlight! I evidently have a mild allergy (PLE and photo-sensitivity), but I also suffered a pretty hardcore sun stroke back in 2009 which only served to exacerbate the problem.
    All-in-all I've got quite the leaning towards the macabre

Senior Member Euro Pod selkie13's Avatar
    My dress/corset and tutu for prom came and is now the only and most prized piece of Gothic clothing I own!
    Name:  punk-rave-gothic-velveteen-corset-top-dress-with-matching-tutu-q-160-additional-photo_1.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  56.5 KB
    Now obviously that's not me but it looks the same as the picture

I am...maybe? Haha, I'm not sure I'd categorize myself as gothic per se, but I do have a lot of tattoos and I like a lot of "dark" things I guess you'd say...(I read oracle cards, I'm interested in criminal psychology, I like Poe and Lovecraft, etc etc.) My way of dress is kind of all over the place, but it definitely veers into the goth/punk/alt area a lot. My burlesque persona (when I did it) was strictly punk/goth.

I think you could at least call me "alt", which is kind of an umbrella term that "goth" is under too, right?

Bottom line: Don't worry! You're not alone!! <3

Yeah, all this is why I tend to say I'm part of dark subcultures, or have a dark aesthetic. It works for better for me. I guess I need an even bigger umbrella than the word goth, lol.

Ah, but in any case- YAY to seeing so many of us dark mers here. Warms my little black heart.

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeaNymph View Post
    Yeah, all this is why I tend to say I'm part of dark subcultures, or have a dark aesthetic. It works for better for me. I guess I need an even bigger umbrella than the word goth, lol.

Ah, but in any case- YAY to seeing so many of us dark mers here. Warms my little black heart.

Exactly, I can't really like, place my exact subculture, but I know it's further on the darker end of the spectrum, haha. Yay! I'm happy to see there's more of us, too!

I like steampunk and I freaked my friends out when I told them I was spray painting a gun and I had to explain steampunk to them. I got my little brothers involved too, we made gas masks on the weekend.
    "I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun."

I used to dress pastel goth. I've switched to a much more ulzzang style now, but I used to love pastels. Bats and eyeballs and skeletons with pale pinks, purples, blues, greens, and one orange outfit...I still have an affection for pastel goth items and sometimes wear them, but I've sold most of my old stuff because I outgrew it and because I changed my style.

I fall somewhere under the lace umbrella that is 'goth' but I'm kinda fashion-goth if it has to be pigeon-holed. I tend to wear black as different layers with a darker, often morbid/victorian tone. For example I have a PU leather and jersey waterfall style jacket as my coat at the moment and would typically wear it with a loose chiffon shirt buttoned up to my neck, black skinny jeans and a sparrow-skull necklace and thick-soled boots. I also have a penchant for black snoods (tube scarf) <.<'

I've got lots of morbid facinations, love horror (my youtube has the video I did in 2009 for a my FMP on horror inspired photography), film noir, rock music of differing styles and levels (not into music where it's screaming with no vocal melodies as I used to sing myself), been dragged into the world of ebm by my husband and one of my best friends and I'm obsessed with tim burton.

My current tails under construction are a black velvet practise tail, a black and purple neoprene tail and even my first silicone tail I've designed (and hopefully will start at the end of the summer once I get my weight down) is black and purple and lots of spikey, angular elements a bit like a sea urchin and a little bit dark-elf.

But I also like ethereal and whimsical stuff, which I explore a lot with my photography and do work into my fashion choices sometimes. And I like theatre/musicals, electroswing, a bit of pop music, acousitc etc. I'm fairly eclectic lol Did I mention me and my husband have a family of giant, round fluffy plushies from squishable.com (the have an awesome cthulu in varying sizes btw :P) I warn you going on the site may forever ruin your life and your tail funds, so you has been warned lol But doing so would reveal why it's so funny that me and Doug are gothy people and we have all these plushies.... that we puppetier and pretend are alive and have personalities XD Yep, we're just that crazy haha
    User previously known as "Kat Arnold".

- Mermaid Lilium Fanpage -
    - Photography Fanpage -

Ha, I totally get that. I only recently gave my daughter most of my plushies. Granted, there are microbes in there (Flesh-eating Bacteria and Mad Cow Disease from giantmicrobes.com... I really want the Black Death for myself, and the Water Bear because CUTE.), the rabbit with enormous teeth from Monty Python, and several bats and spiders... but I kept my Headless Horseman and the Sybil doll from Living Dead Dolls.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Naufra's Avatar
    I have the Black Death from Giant Microbes, it's my favorite plague ever! So cute and fluffy! ^_^
    User formerly known as "Zicoxite".

giant microbes <3 cyberdog manchester sold them for a while but all the good ones sadly went, was left with e-coli and such lol
    User previously known as "Kat Arnold".

- Mermaid Lilium Fanpage -
    - Photography Fanpage -

That's the best part of those silly things. My daughter asking, "Can I have the common cold for my birthday?" haha

I actually just dressed up on Monday (after my boyfriend got curious about why I don't dress goth after he saw all of my gothic photos of me on my facebook haha. Turns out he's always wanted to be goth, but never did because he was really nervous lol.)
    Name:  1209164_10203945178659286_308862578332116727_n.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  51.4 KBName:  10740_10203945178419280_3702387973499304708_n.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  43.4 KBName:  1797558_10203945178299277_7163712929705683558_n.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  23.1 KB
    And I was also finally able to pull my hair back into afro puffs since I've done the big chop! Yay Hairgrowth! lol
    (I've also convinced my bf to go with me to a monthly goth dance party once I turn 18. One of his conditions is that I have to make him a coat first )

eeee! my people!
    I'd be considered a Darkling (equal opportunity dabbler), married a Romantigoth Fav bands include Abney Park and Cruxshadows

and I have to, I really do:

btw AtlanisDreamer, if you can learn how to use Angels and the Universe to heal, you can learn how to sew