Thread: Mermaid Funeral?

Senior Member Pod of Texas MermaidSaku's Avatar

Mermaid Funeral?

I've been thinking about what a mermaid funeral would be like. It was after i saw a dead squirrel on the street close to my home. My friend Seph and I buried it yesterday we covered the squirrel in red flowers. And it made me think about if it was the mermaid side of me. I don't know..

Anyways what do you think a mermaid funeral would be like? I know in the movie mermaids (2003) the father was to be places on the sea where he would turn to foam where the sun would carry him up and spread him across the seas as rain.

I haven't thought of a mermaid funeral but I do think of mermaid weddings like getting married in mermaid/merman tails on the rocks then swim of into the sea and there could be some sort of resort that they swim to (it's real close)... Just a thought
    There lays a lovely maiden combing her long hair

Member Union of Pods of the North Aquatica's Avatar
    my two cents
    They would have several days of morning followed by have a long interdict ceremony following tradtions of there ancestors. With a long a processional swim to the burial grounds. I could see them haveing a grand gathering at the mouth of some underwater volcano or cave/ tome with banners. All sorts of sea creatures would be in attendants. With beuitiful music and singing. There would be a moment of silence as the comited the body to the resting place. Then Following the ceremony would be celibration of life and things to come.
    Signature by Avery

i love the theory Sean Giroux, that sounds perfect!!
    I Believe

When a mer dies, their bereft eat them quickly so as to avoid attracting scavengers, and then garner a deal with local scrimshanders to carve their bones into talismans of sentiment, personal ornament, and weaponry. Waste not, want not. The real question is what the scrimshander will get out of it; has he been coerced into service with the threat of violence, or false promises of power and riches?

That'd make an interesting story...hmmmm...

"An ocean without its unnamed monsters would be like a completely dreamless sleep."- John Steinbeck

According to Wikipedia, the first known mermaid stories appear in Assyria in 1000 B.C. (featuring Atargatis, known to the Greeks as Derketo). Maybe looking up ancient Assyrian funerary practices would be useful? Or see if the myths of Atlantis mention how they treated the dead?

On a side note, I really do expect within the next ten years to read a news story about someone being burried in their tail at their own request.

It just seems like one of those things that's inevitable, eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidSaku View Post
    I've been thinking about what a mermaid funeral would be like. It was after i saw a dead squirrel on the street close to my home. My friend Seph and I buried it yesterday we covered the squirrel in red flowers. And it made me think about if it was the mermaid side of me. I don't know..

Anyways what do you think a mermaid funeral would be like? I know in the movie mermaids (2003) the father was to be places on the sea where he would turn to foam where the sun would carry him up and spread him across the seas as rain.
    You can see a mermaid funeral by watching Siren season 2 episode 9

"On a side note, I really do expect within the next ten years to read a news story about someone being burried in their tail at their own request. It just seems like one of those things that's inevitable, eventually."...well when i was at the hospital and thinking i'd die my mom asked me if i did die if i wanted just that...well i didn't even talked about it ever she just thinked for herself it would suit her young and may to soon be gone mer obsessed daughter the best...hopefully i didnt have to as i comed back in better shape (tough still not fully healed and with possible recidive but nothing life threatening as least for now it seems)...that was pretty touching to me. Still, on a more matter of fact note cadavers on the ocean are pretty fast eated by scavengers indeed and if mermaids are very pro nature and all well why would they oppose dying as nutriments for other beings making the cycle of life continue? I think that would precisely be what a mermaid funeral a real fantasy mermaid one i mean would look like to my opinion.