Thread: Timid new swimmer

Timid new swimmer

Hi, I just found out that there was whole community of merfolk and I'm super excited to find out about you guys. I'm working on making my first tail and top slowly. I haven't swam seriously in years. Paddling about in the pool or ocean has been my tread, but I'm hoping to find a pool for me to practice in and get my sea legs back!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Hi Bitterfish! Jump in! The water's fine!

Senior Member Pod of New England Echinacea's Avatar
    Add Echinacea on Facebook
    Welcome, Bitterfish! What color will your tail be? Very neat to be making your own! Welcome to the family!

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    Hi Bitterfish! Jump in! The water's fine!
    Hopefully I will as soon as the water warms back up! I'm a freeze bunny, or should I say guppie?

Quote Originally Posted by Echinacea View Post
    Welcome, Bitterfish! What color will your tail be? Very neat to be making your own! Welcome to the family!
    I'm hoping to find a nice navy or dark purple fabric for the base. Though I've been going through a lot of fish photo's to see if there is any fish colorings that call out to me. I'm trying to design a top I'd be comfortable with first. I've got a butt ton of modestly that's not letting me get away with a shell bra!

Senior Member Pod of New England Echinacea's Avatar
    Add Echinacea on Facebook
    Maybe go for something like a tankini top, with some shells, rather than just a bra top. Take a look at Pearlie Mae's tail thread, she had some really neat looking fish there - arowanas? They have lovely bold scale patterns!

Quote Originally Posted by Echinacea View Post
    Maybe go for something like a tankini top, with some shells, rather than just a bra top. Take a look at Pearlie Mae's tail thread, she had some really neat looking fish there - arowanas? They have lovely bold scale patterns!
    I'm thinking about making a shell top tankini. Doing the bra based top and them add fabric 'seaweed' to the band. I think it'd look mermaidish enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8FQMI-FHGs
    Martha Stewart did a nice modest Halloween mermaid costume that could easily be transferred to part of your regular mermaid outfit. She uses a skin colored body shaper with shells on the bust (and you could easily sew/glue any other adornments on it to make it your own)

Quote Originally Posted by hbee2484 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8FQMI-FHGs
    Martha Stewart did a nice modest Halloween mermaid costume that could easily be transferred to part of your regular mermaid outfit. She uses a skin colored body shaper with shells on the bust (and you could easily sew/glue any other adornments on it to make it your own)
    Oooo. I could do that with one of my old swim suits!