Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mermaids in Minnesota

Mika, which 3 pools sounded like good mer habitat in the TC Area? I was thinking of trying the New Richmond Area Centre's pool.

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene Web• Neptune's Keep Web• Facebook•MG YouTube•NK YouTube•Etsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Mermaid Dionea in Hudson, WI

Hi, all,

I'm just getting into mermaiding as an extension of my performance career with Neptune's Keep (world's only fish plus humans band).

I live in Hudson, WI and would enjoy a TC Mer Meetup. I'm also looking for a good pool in the eastern metro.

Mermaid Galene Web• Neptune's Keep Web• Facebook•MG YouTube•NK YouTube•Etsy Shop

So I have yet to try these places out - BUT having just talked with them these two were the friendliest, nicest, and most open to public swims and mermaid talk.

The Best Western in Riverfalls was the most friendly, followed closely by the Lexington in Stillwater - the manager Antonio was especially nice. Both places charge $5 unless you are a guest at the hotel and days vary on how packed the hotel is - so call before you go....and weekdays will probably work better.

I have yet to call beyond Saint Paul - but still plan on doing so....school has gotten crazy and I graduate in May. But once I'm done with that I'll def make a list and share it. c:

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    wait, you guys live in the "state of ten thousand lakes" and keep looking for a pool?

there's even a lake with its own seaserpent
    Name:  Crosby_Serpentlake.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  128.4 KB

how cool is that?

Quote Originally Posted by caltuna View Post
    wait, you guys live in the "state of ten thousand lakes" and keep looking for a pool?
    THANK YOU. I live right on the tip of Lake Superior and it is the clearest, most beautiful place to swim. The north shore has so much scenery and places to swim, I'd take a lake over a pool any day.

Point taken, there are some nice beaches around, and there is a park near the Minneapolis airport that has super clear water. I think of pools when the lakes are covered in ice.

Oh - totes. I'm totally alllll about the lakes. But currently there's still a bit of ice on top of the one in my back yard....so you know. Just looking for warm alternatives.

Good to know about the hotels in River Falls and Stillwater! So did they approve swimming there with a tail?

For lake/river swimming in this are, there's a nice little beach on the Hudson riverfront, though I don't know how the lifeguards there feel about tails and monofins. There are also beaches in Willow River State Park and Kinnickinnic State Park, and neither of them are staffed by lifeguards. Presumably one could swim there undisturbed with a tail.

I just found out that the New Richmond Area Centre allows monofins and mermaid tails in their pool. Eureka!

As far as swimming at beaches, i found out that you can go beyond the designated areas if you have a diving buoy..

I found out that Northwesten Health Sciences College will rent their pool for $35.00 an hour.

Rochester, mn mer checking in!
    I love the swimming at a state park idea.

What would you folks think about having a meetup in Hudson? There are two beautiful state parks nearby - Willow River and Kinnickinnic. Both have swimming beaches. Kinnickinnic SP beach has no lifeguards, which could be both an advantage and a disadvantage, I suppose. Here's what those beaches look like:

Name:  Kinnickinnic SP beach.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  39.6 KB Kinnickinnic State Park beach

Name:  Willow River SP beach.jpg
Size:  573.3 KB Willow River State Park beach

The beautiful Hudson Lakefront Park (which is actually on the St. Croix River) has a small beach at the end of a rocky promenade and another one in the same park:

Name:  Hudson riverfront beaches.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  203.6 KB St. Croix riverfront beaches

There are also several other small beaches in the Hudson area:

Name:  Homestead Parklands beach1.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  290.1 KB Homestead Parklands beach

Name:  Homestead Parklands beach2.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  37.2 KB Homestead Parklands beach

Name:  Troy Beach.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  40.9 KB Troy Beach

All would be great places to swim. Or, if the weather's bad, we could go to an indoor pool. I'm pretty sure the New Richmond Centre pool is rentable, or we could try the Stillwater or River Falls hotels that Mika researched.

If we have a mermaid swim in Hudson, and if we wanted publicity, I'm sure I could get us into the Hudson newspaper and probably the St. Paul Pioneer Press, too. I know reporters at both those papers; they've done stories on my musical fish.

I live literally 4 miles from both Willow River State Park and downtown Hudson on a 6 acre property (with no lake but a native prairie restoration). I'd be happy to host a picnic lunch or dinner here. We could go swim before or after.

Whaddayathink?

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Galene View Post
    What would you folks think about having a meetup in Hudson? There are two beautiful state parks nearby - Willow River and Kinnickinnic. Both have swimming beaches. Kinnickinnic SP beach has no lifeguards, which could be both an advantage and a disadvantage, I suppose. Here's what those beaches look like:

Name:  Kinnickinnic SP beach.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  39.6 KB Kinnickinnic State Park beach

Name:  Willow River SP beach.jpg
Size:  573.3 KB Willow River State Park beach

The beautiful Hudson Lakefront Park (which is actually on the St. Croix River) has a small beach at the end of a rocky promenade and another one in the same park:

Name:  Hudson riverfront beaches.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  203.6 KB St. Croix riverfront beaches

There are also several other small beaches in the Hudson area:

Name:  Homestead Parklands beach1.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  290.1 KB Homestead Parklands beach

Name:  Homestead Parklands beach2.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  37.2 KB Homestead Parklands beach

Name:  Troy Beach.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  40.9 KB Troy Beach

All would be great places to swim. Or, if the weather's bad, we could go to an indoor pool. I'm pretty sure the New Richmond Centre pool is rentable, or we could try the Stillwater or River Falls hotels that Mika researched.

If we have a mermaid swim in Hudson, and if we wanted publicity, I'm sure I could get us into the Hudson newspaper and probably the St. Paul Pioneer Press, too. I know reporters at both those papers; they've done stories on my musical fish.

I live literally 4 miles from both Willow River State Park and downtown Hudson on a 6 acre property (with no lake but a native prairie restoration). I'd be happy to host a picnic lunch or dinner here. We could go swim before or after.

Whaddayathink?
    All of the above sounds good to me - I think we need to get the word out that freshwater mermaids are a thing.

I like the Hudson Idea as well. The beach looks wonderful.

It sounds like a meetup has just been born! Should we pick a Saturday in July or August? Stu (husband/mertender/pirate) and I are free July 12 or 26th (though that's the date of the Great Lakes meetup), and August 9, 16, or 30 (that's Labor Day weekend).

Once the weather warms up (I resist saying "IF the weather warms up"), I'll take my tail and try out each of these local beaches and see which seems nicest for mermaiding. And I think I can easily arrange some newspaper coverage.

If you like, our little fish + humans band, Neptune's Keep, can give y'all a mini-concert. We've got a few mermaidy tunes.

I lean more towards Kinnickinnic or one of the smaller beaches. I looOOovve Willow River but it's been getting more popular lately which is great - because it means more people get to enjoy it....but it also bums me out because it means more crowds and less thoughtful types littering it up etc. :/

August might be nice because it the weekend before Ren Fest and also the MN State Fair - so it's like the mermaids are bringing in the festivities. heh.

I agree. From the pics, at least, the Kinnickinnic beach looks lovely. Willow River's swimming area is pretty shallow, I think, and probably very crowded. Willow River does have a cool waterfall, which would be a nice photo op, but the hike into it is either very steep or very long. Probably not worth the effort.

August sounds good to me.

I'd like to propose Saturday, August 16 for this meetup, starting at noon. Lunch here at Punchinello Prairie then a swim at Kinnickinnic Park beach and/or Troy Beach in North Hudson. Would that work for you folks?

Would love to meet y'all in merson! (Did I just make a new word! Clever me.)