Thread: Making my first fabric tail

Making my first fabric tail

Just posting some of the pictures from making my first fabric tail! I made the pattern by laying on craft paper in my monofin and tracing the outline. I put that on top of my fabric and pinned all around it. I cut just outside the pins and then sewed just inside the pins, and it fit pretty well for a first go!
    Name:  SAM_0446.JPG
Views: 206
Size:  96.4 KB
    Name:  SAM_0448.JPG
Views: 226
Size:  102.5 KB
    Name:  SAM_0451.JPG
Views: 216
Size:  105.8 KB

I've taken it for a couple test swims already, where I learned that I need to let out the calves and take in the waist (which I have now done), plus get a sturdier velcro for the fluke closure (which I still need to go buy). I'm still considering possibly painting it, but definitely want to make sure it's just right first.

I got some video that I'm still working on putting together but here's a pretty cool screenshot from it. I'm holding the camera b/c it floats so I need to find some way to anchor/clamp it to get some really good underwater video.
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 211
Size:  43.9 KB

More to come!

Love the color! It's beautiful!

Member Pod of Oceania
    Well done on your first fabric tail, very nice and like the color as well

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thank you both! I grabbed that fabric for half-off at Hancock Fabrics!

Cut out a new tail last night - and of course forgot to take pictures! I'm kinda failing at this "documenting" thing.... V////V

Anyways, I was posting because I cut out a full tail like the one above (in a mint green fabric), but then I also cut out a fluke that I'm going to try to put on my SunTail skin to go with my new monofin. I will definitely get some pictures as I work on that and let everybody know how it turned out!

A couple pictures from altering the SunTail skin this weekend to fit over my Hydra monofin:
    Name:  IMG_20160703_102657822.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  291.1 KB Name:  IMG_20160703_104408802.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  292.7 KB

I took it for a swim yesterday, and I need to tighten the waist. I always seem to do that - I'm so worried about it being too tight that I don't make it tight enough! I'm considering adding a pair of fins where the 2 fabrics meet (b/c I think it looks awful right now - I'm crappy at sewing) but the fin I'd made this weekend didn't come out like I wanted, so I'll try again this week. Photoshoot on Sunday!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Summerlilly's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Summerlilly On Twitter
    nice!
    beep boop get some soup

I posted more in the photoshoot thread (and even more in an album) but here are a couple pictures from last week's creek shoot that show off my tail!
    Name:  mintMermaid ROA 08.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  78.9 KB Name:  mintMermaid ROA 12.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  90.3 KB
    (My friend was talking about going to get sushi, and her boyfriend said, "This one's already in a net!" so of course, we had to snap a picture )

I've had a thought for some time that I wanted to turn my first tail (the dark jade one) into a pirate mermaid. I found a black-and-white striped bikini top at the thrift store last weekend, so I decided to go for it! I added some doubloons and pearls to the top side of the fluke this morning - and this is certainly NOT a sneaky way to cover holes and scuffs that have developed! - but I think I want to add some more. I used the whole pack of doubloons, so I'll need more to do the back and could grab extra if I want more on the front too. (Side note: these are plastic coins from the party favor section of Dollar Tree, pack of 30 for $1!)

Safety is sexy:
    Name:  IMG_20160916_074444.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  104.0 KB

Full monofin:
    Name:  20160916_063028.jpg
Size:  124.2 KB

Close-up of one side:
    Name:  20160916_063031.jpg
Size:  146.1 KB

What do you guys think? More doubloons and/or pearls?

I like the idea of the doubloons Like they became a part of the scaling itself :3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Crystal Mermaid of The Seafarer's Grotto
    Princess Nymphia of the Sea
    Instagram: @crystallinemermaid
    Solo Performer Facebook: Nymphia the Crystal Mermaid
    Business Facebook: The Seafarer's Grotto: Mermaid for Hire