Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Anna's First Ever (Silicone) Tail!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania AnnaAbyss's Avatar

Anna's First Ever (Silicone) Tail!

My parents are letting me make my own silicone tail!!! They said they want me to make my own instead of buying one, since they're so expensive and the shipping to Australia is too. Holy crap I'm excited.
    My dad makes surfboards as his profession and has recently started to make stand up paddle boards as well, so he knows heaps about materials, and molds, etc. Basically he's really pumped for this too, so knowing that someone else wants to do this with me is a bonus xD I'll be doing this over January and the materials I'll apparently get for Christmas (Really that's all I want and have so for a really long time).
    Anyway! Onto the more exciting stuff. I've made two Barbie-sized tail molds out of plaster over about two days. The second one turned out better than the first though. This is the 'prototype' for my tail, and the Barbie which I used has a broken-ish tail which is going to be fixed (she's my favourite). I'm also going to see if I can put the finished tail over her but if that doesn't work I'll just put bits of silicone on the broken parts.
    I moulded Sirena in the plaster which was filled halfway up the side of her tail and did that on the front and back. xD I did this on two warm days, and the plaster dried really quickly so I kind of had to rush. For the silicone part, I'm going to use silicone calking that we used for the shower a while back. It sets clear and I'll test putting colour in it. ._.
    Seeing other people making their own tails made me really want to make my own. I'm really happy because it will be just the way I want it (hopefully xD).
    For the design on my tail, I've pretty much fallen in love with the ones they used for the movie 'Mermaids'. They're the exact shape, colour and fluidity that I want. Except I'll use bigger scales and make mine a bit different. My tail will be made out of Vario 15 silicone.
    Last edited by AnnaAbyss; 04-25-2015 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Fixing wording

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Fifi Tigg's Avatar
    Add Fifi Tigg on Facebook
    Follow Fifi Tigg on Flickr Visit Fifi Tigg's Youtube Channel
    Very exciting good luck! And can't wait to see the whole process
    http://make animated gifs like this at MakeaGif

GOOD LUCK !!!
    Owner of Under Sea Mermaid Co.

Life is short.... live like there is no tomorrow, and smile all the day....

Swim fast, swim deep, but always reach for your dreams.

awsome news! Good luck!

Thank you guys Argh I didn't upload the photos when I said I would but I promise I'll do it today.

Senior Member Union of Pods of the North Marie-Josie Cayer's Avatar
    Add Marie-Josie Cayer on Facebook
    Wishing only best for your silicone mermaid tail production!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    If you paint in layers of the caulk and let each layer cure will be better than trying to fill the mold, because it cures with exposure to air. The surface can cure and seal in uncured silicone.

If you want to cure thick layers, mix in a little cornstarch. It will cure all the way through, but it also toughens up the silicone, making it a harder rubber.

Oh thank you so much for those tips!

FUUUUU I am so lazy, big apologies about the photos. ._. I'm turning on my computer now. My dad ordered some silicone for the small test mould today, so it should be here in about a week. I'm so excited!!! I tried using the silicone caulk but it didn't cure...I think it was way too old -facepalm-. Also, PearlieMae, I tried mixing in some starch. I think it would have worked if the silicone was new. Sigh, we learn from mistakes. Anyways, I've gotta clean out the remains with some turpentine. The silicone we've ordered is food grade silicone for stuff like chocolate moulding and I've chosen a blue pigment to come with it. Although I probably won't be using that for my actual tail itself. ~Bounces off walls~

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Can't wait to see your progress!

http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/An...?sort=3&page=1

^Link to small prototype moulds! Since MerNetwork said my photos are the wrong file type to upload and I don't know how to change it...

Okay so I finally got around to uploading these stupid photos to my computer and onto Photobucket. -.-" Sorry about the bad quality of them. Also I apologise about the quality of the moulds since these are the first ones I've ever made, so I think I'm gonna buy some more Plaster of Paris to re-do them. Sigh, everything is taking way too long for my liking. I need a shopping day.
    Oh and my tail that I'm actually going to make isn't going to be anything like the doll's one. I just want to see how it will go before I go all out on mine.
    (Also she's broken and I'm going to fix her with silicone).

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    Good luck with it. ive had so many mishaps with mine, but rest assured you have plenty of tutorials to help you out. and having a dad that can help is a BONUS. good to see another Aussie making a tail.

Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......

Thank you I'm glad I have him to help me out. And good luck to you too!

Slight update: Because of the busy Christmas season my silicone hasn't been sent yet. It's a few weeks overdue and it's driving me nuts. I've decided I'm going to pass the time by making some sea shell jewellery. ._.
    Sorry people.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Ashton's Avatar
    Add Ashton on Facebook Add Ashton on Google+
    Follow Ashton on Tumblr Visit Ashton's Youtube Channel
    I would love to hear updates on this!!! good luck!!!!
    Follow me on INSTAGRAM @
    Creations and fun things: Ashton.Designs

TailsAndTiaras.com

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    That's so exciting! I love that there are so many people out there making their own tails. It allows a great deal of creativity flow into the community.
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

MY SILICONE ARRIVED TODAY!!! Took its time. -.-" I'm going to use it tomorrow or when the next fine day comes. Oooooh, so happy and excited! Ahaha. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2330
Size:  211.1 KB

I just found the website for this silicone it may come in handy with my other projects. so are you using this silicone to create your moulds? or your tail?

Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......

I'm using this silicone for the small size moulds I made for a doll that I have because I want to test it out before doing the real thing. I've never made a tail before ._. I think for my actual tail I'll use Dalchem silicone instead of Smooth On.

OMG thanks for mentioning the dalchem silicone. ive just had a look and the 5kg is 297.00 now thats affordable for me soooooo maybe once ive finished with my current tail I will try a platinum one. the price is pretty much half of smooth on's not to mention from 1st dec smooth on has increased their prices. i understand where your coming from i did the same thing as ive never done this before either, but You learn sooooo much along the way so if you make another it will turn out even betta. good luck