Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Anna's First Ever (Silicone) Tail!

It depends on the resin that she used, but it seems she is past this part. I used fiberglass resin and had coated my scales first with elmer's white glue. After that I coated with vaeline and heated it with a hair dryer to melt it down and become a liquid which easily flowed over everthing and got into every nook and cranny. There are so amny different methods out there and each one has its own merits.

Keep up the good work!
    Owner of Under Sea Mermaid Co.

Life is short.... live like there is no tomorrow, and smile all the day....

Swim fast, swim deep, but always reach for your dreams.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania AnnaAbyss's Avatar
    Thanks guys.
    Trident True: I'm not sure what brand the resin is but I think it's a good one because my dad makes surfboards and the materials have to be good quality. I think while the resin was curing it may have heated up a very small amount but I don't really know because we let it cure for about 4 hours in Dad's shed. It was perfectly fine though. The molds are really strong too because we reinforced them with a few layers of fibreglass.

Mermaid Julz: Did the coat of glue help stop bubbles forming? Also I used Vaseline too and it worked great.

UPDATE!!!

So I haven't poured the silicone into the test molds yet but today I'm sculpting my fluke!!!
    Yay for lots of sun and warm weather!!! I thought it'd be really hard to sculpt but it's actually really easy! And two nights ago I made my fluke template but forgot to upload a photo. Going to Bunnings tonight to get a big board of MDF for my scale sheet. SO FKN EXCITING ERMAHGERDDDD!!!!! (*Over-enthusiastic squee* xD)

HERE'S THE FLUKE~

Yay! starting to look good! *excited for you*
    Almost done making my first ​tail!!! -progress pictures at http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?9784-Excited!-P-might-make-a-tail-tips&p=195098#post195098
    -Friends come and go like waves of the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on your face-Unknown

Thank you OceanWhisper.~

Today is overcast and cold so I'm making the scale board. Multitasking is actually working for me. Huh! Gotta wait in between rows for the glue to dry so I can keep going. It's a bit frustrating but still fun. Ermahgerd I still can't believe that I'm really going to have a silicone mermaid tail! VERY surreal to actually be making it after wanting one for so long. Lolol I've been on such a high for the past week and a half. Bahahaha. xD

Something that has blown me away is how easy it was to sculpt the fluke (on a nice sunny day at least). I've been worrying about that the most thinking it would be really tricky to manipulate the clay. I was expecting myself to be curled up in the fetal position out of frustration. But yay, the clay was like melted chocolate instead of bricks. xD
    I wanted to sculpt more today but the weather isn't permitting. Maybe I'll use a hairdryer on the clay if I really wanna sculpt. ._.

Ahh, my laptop is so much easy to write posts on MerNetwork with.
    I'll upload photos of the scale board when it's got more scales glued on.

Scale board is coming along nicely! It's fun.~ I need to punch out more foam circles though. Going through quite a bit of PVA glue too. xD

Last edited by AnnaAbyss; 03-05-2015 at 08:52 PM.

And here is the fluke. It's slowly getting pieced together.
    Heh.

Last edited by AnnaAbyss; 04-25-2015 at 11:24 PM.

Getting there slowly

Gahhh I'm having the hardest time ever trying to sculpt the Monster clay. SO F***ING FRUSTRATING. The hair dryer works well though and I'm nearly done with the fluke sculpt. Thank gawd...

Senior Member Pod of Cali Ashton's Avatar
    Add Ashton on Facebook Add Ashton on Google+
    Follow Ashton on Tumblr Visit Ashton's Youtube Channel
    I personally gave up on the idea of monster clay when I was holding it and could not even scratch it with my nail. I use water based clay (you just have to be careful that it does not dry out).

I have heard that you can use a heat gun on monster clay. But I have never tried it, you can get heat guns for pretty cheap online or even at hardware stores. Do not buy them at craft stores tho- they will rip you off!

A hair drier will also work well! For the large flat parts of my fluke mould, I heated a chunk of clay in the microwave and poured it onto baking paper with my design. If you get some spatulas (the thin metal paint scraper kind), you can manipulate the soft clay pretty easily. Investing in clay tools will also help a lot, I got a basic set for about $5 and it saved so much time!

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Looks awesome!!!

Thanks for the input and compliments! I think I'm just going to try pouring melted clay in the large sections. Sounds way easier. Also I already own clay tools and they're good help. C:

Soooo I changed the original fluke sculpt yesterday because it didn't look how I wanted it to. I took off the ridges, made the fluke's curve more pronounced, elongate It and shave down the upper sides and most importantly heated up a LOT of clay then poured it all on the whole fluke. Now I just need to scrape down some of the raised parts and add the rest of the ridges. (By ridges I mean tail bones or whatever they're called). In a few days I'll finally be ready to make the resin mold!

Ridges=fin rays

It looks like you're coming along really well! Your new sculpt looks a lot neater and cleaner than the first take. Just make sure it's not too thick, because remember you're going to be doubling it up and you don't want to end up with like 10kg of silicone just in the fluke (=caudal fin...sorry, I can't help myself with the terminology thing).

Thanks Theobromine

I finished the fluke!!!!! :'D ~CONFETTI EVERYWHERE~

Last edited by AnnaAbyss; 03-21-2015 at 07:33 AM.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    PERFECT...... did you see my post in my thread??? I love your shape better than mine, if you look at mine it looks more like the 13th year shape. Prob the best one I've done yet. looks really good and your progress is taking off. good luck with the rest of your tail.

Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......

Ohmygawd thank you so much!!! Yes I saw it . Strangely enough I was already using that method to smooth my tail bones before you mentioned it. Lolol. Thanks again and good luck with your tail!

That looks great! You smoothed it down really well!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Ashton's Avatar
    Add Ashton on Facebook Add Ashton on Google+
    Follow Ashton on Tumblr Visit Ashton's Youtube Channel