Thread: Zeagle Zena--Any Experience? Women's BCD of choice?

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook

Zeagle Zena--Any Experience? Women's BCD of choice?

Okay, I'm buying myself a new BCD for Christmas, one that's made for my tiny lady waist and my child bearing hips! (I have a 29" waist and 37.5" hips). Does anybody have any experience with the Zeagle Zena? I like the way it belts at the waist. I have never had a back floatation BCD, but I like the idea of it. Anybody have a preference above the Zena? I am trying to decide before black Friday online sales are done!
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

I've never used that particular BCD, but just be aware that back-flotation style BCDs take some getting used to! It's definitely a different feeling than the normal jacket style. I used Hollis bladder and wings style ones during my DM course and I was definitely wibbly-wobbly for a while! Less stability on the surface but easier to stay horizontal underwater, as long as you use it properly.

Just googled the Zena and it looks interesting. Seems to have an integrated weight system, which is definitely a plus! I loved my old simple jacket-style BCD (I think it was an Aqualung), but the one change I would make would be to include a weight system. My next one will def have integrated weights because those weight belts (even the zippered and padded kinds) are so uncomfortable!! I miss having all my own dive gear.. *sniff*

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    Yeah, I like the jackets, but they tend to have trouble fitting me. I am tall, but it is all leg, and I have a super short torso, so the cummerbunds are always WAY too low, which means I can't tighten it around my waist so they float up around my shoulders like an ill-fitting life vest. I think I like the idea of back floatation because it frees you up in front, but I know it will be different... I wish I could try it before buying. Oh well, the place I am buying from lets you return for credit if you don't like it, so maybe I will just try it in a pool or something and see.
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    For what its worth, I have a backplate style BC, and I much prefer it to vests.