Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jessica's Dragonskin Silicone Scale Top

Jessica's Dragonskin Silicone Scale Top

Hi everyone

I've had a lot of questions about making a scale top so I thought it was about time to start a thread explaining how I made my top!

I use convertible bras from Victoria's Secret (the very sexy bras are 2/$49 and work great). I used a bunch of scraps to make my first top, but for this one I made a small sheet of scales since I was almost out of scraps!

To get the scales to stick to the bra, you first brush silicone directly on the bra. Silicone will only stick to itself, so make sure you really work the silicone into the fabric with a paintbrush. After you get a good layer down on the bra, stick your scales on and clamp with clothes pins, straight pins, clamps...anything really! You want to make sure you have a little overhang....let the scales hang over the top and bottom edges so you can trim them.

One issue you will run into with any bra is that the silicone doesn't want to lay right against the cups because of the curve. There is no perfect solution with this method....you just have to trim the scales to fit. If you want scales that will fit perfectly, you will need to get some clay and mold materials and make a mold for a top.

Here's a few pictures of my first top on Eva and on me:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 6609
Size:  283.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I love that top it blends so well with your guys skin tone I would have such a hard time pulling off that pink because in the summer i get soooo dark tan.

You're lucky you tan adella! I stay so pale year round! If I'm lucky I can get just a little tan in the summer.

i've been working on attaching the scales to the bra base. I start in the center and brush silicone into the fabric. You want the bra to look like its wet...this is how you know the silicone is really in the fibers. I don't brush silicone all over the entire bra at once...it would just get messy! I start in the center and do the insides of each cup. I them lay the silicone sheet in the center and over the cups. I used straight pins to secure the scales to the bra while the silicone cures. After I completed the center section, I lifted the unattached scales up, brushed more silicone onto the cups and then secured it with more pins.

When you're pinning the scales in place, you can stretch them a little to fit over the cups. If you have a smaller cup size, like an a or a b this will work pretty well and you won't have to trim the scales to fit the curve of the cup. This technique might work with larger sizes too, but I haven't tested it yet.

Here are a few pictures! The one with all the pins is a picture of the inside of the bra cup....it looks like a medieval torture device!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

OMG please remember to take ALL the pins out first before trying it on!!!! lol. what did you use for the mold of the scales? It looks like plaster of paris

I like your technique Jessica

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    That pink top all but disappears underwater! Thanks for sharing this!

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mer_Adella View Post
    I love that top it blends so well with your guys skin tone I would have such a hard time pulling off that pink because in the summer i get soooo dark tan.
    You could possibly use bronze or gold for a scale top. My skin's warm toned but pale, so I'm gonna try a very pale golden. So glad you're putting up this thread, Jessica! It's awesome to see how it's done.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Thank you so much Jessica!!!

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Oh my gosh i'm laughing so hard at the 'medieval torture device' statement and pictures. Haha great work Jessica! I love following your mermaid-gear-making (not exactly sure what I just typed ) journeys!

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    Oooooh!I'm glad you're doing this, Jessica. I've been considering doing a latex top, myself.
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Ashton's Avatar
    Add Ashton on Facebook Add Ashton on Google+
    Follow Ashton on Tumblr Visit Ashton's Youtube Channel
    I have always wondered how these were made. I cant wait to learn more!

These look fantastic!
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Jessica, can I order a scale top from you?
    "It is your choice to hide in a shell, or to be shrimply fintastic by being yourself"
    www.mermaidharmony.com
    MermaidHarmony@gmail.com Facebook:Mermaid Harmony Twitter: @MermaidHarmony

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod
    same here! I want one!!!
    Formerly known as NikkiLee

Senior Member Pod of Cali Ashton's Avatar
    Add Ashton on Facebook Add Ashton on Google+
    Follow Ashton on Tumblr Visit Ashton's Youtube Channel
    I would also love to order a top from you if you are doing that at all.

wow you make a great mermaid!! can i buy a scale top too?! It looks really beautiful

Hi everyone! I just started a new project and have been sculpting like a mad woman all week so there hasn't been much in the way of progress on this top!

I'm happy to make and sell a few scale tops I should have time to do them right after Christmas. Let me think about a price and I'll let you guys know!

Adella, I used shell shock for my scale mold. It's a great material

Dottie, it would be awesome to see you make a latex top!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    beautiful

I giggled at the 'torture device' picture!! Oh my gosh it makes me squirm, haha. I'm with Adella--make sure you get ALL of those out of there before trying it on!!

And this is so neat! I've wondered how people do scale tops, although I'm sure there's more than one way. This looks great! Do the scales around the band just stop short of the clasps? On the side where the clasps face up, that is.
    Mermaid Jade
    (Instagram | Facebook | tumblr)

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    I'd love a scale top from you too! That makes three potential clients. Any tips on what fabric for the bra would work well with this technique? I have a bra in mind but it has this satin material over the cups.