Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jessica's Dragonskin Silicone Scale Top

Quote Originally Posted by spottedcatfish View Post
    I'd love a scale top from you too! That makes three potential clients. Any tips on what fabric for the bra would work well with this technique? I have a bra in mind but it has this satin material over the cups.
    I'm sure that the material wouldn't matter, just as long as you follow what Jessica said and make sure that you saturate the fabric with silicone to where it looks very VERY wet/shiny. I actually have done this before. I took an old strapless bra that barely fit (actually it does still fit just more of a corest type of bra since it pushed them flat against my body and up high) and painted it with Lumiere paint to have scales. Later on I used silicone caulk (the 100% kind from GE) and used a long skewer and spread it all over the bra. ( I wanted the shiny/slimy feel in water) At the time I didn't know anything about this. Now that I read jessica's post, I went back and looked at that top. I was amazed to find that some spots were covered well and some were rough like the normal fabric and in the grooves (where the fabric had natural holes) there was silicone where I didn't put enough.

So i am sure that if you saturate enough into it Spotted that it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadestone View Post

And this is so neat! I've wondered how people do scale tops, although I'm sure there's more than one way. This looks great! Do the scales around the band just stop short of the clasps? On the side where the clasps face up, that is.
    If I remember what Jessica told me in an email (when i asked her to do a tutorial) she said that her's went to the edge of where the hooks and eyes started. My suggestion is that if you make one, you know what size bra you need and what eye the hooks go through. So for instance I know that I like mine tight so they dont slip, so I would put mine to the farthest one in. I would just make the scales to the edge of the straps and blend it. I will try and post a picture for reference.

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    I'd probably do it that way even if I use the loosest hook, so that you can use the top for longer as it starts to stretch out.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

The top wont stretch out at all- I've had my Merbellas scale bra for a year and its still as tight as the day I got it The silicone holds the bras shape/material so it doesn't stretch out of shape!

Well, that's good to know. I was worried I'd have to make a new scale bra every few years, lol.

Hi guys! It's been so hectic getting ready for Christmas and working on a new tail I'd love to make tops for anyone who wants one. I'll be ready to take an order or two right after Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by spottedcatfish View Post
    I'd love a scale top from you too! That makes three potential clients. Any tips on what fabric for the bra would work well with this technique? I have a bra in mind but it has this satin material over the cups.
    Hi spottedcatfish!

i think most fabrics would be fine, but i haven't tested too many so I can't say for sure! I'll have to do a few tests to find out! I have some satin around here somewhere....

jade,
    adella's got it right! Here are a few pics so you guys can see! I leave a little overhang so the clasp doesn't show much
    Attached Images Attached Images    

One thing I'm wondering, is can I lay the scales so that there is some silicone above the top edge of the bra? If so, how high above the bra could I make the top edge of the scales? Or does it have to be even with the top edge of the bra? I don't want it to be floppy and have the water grab it, lol
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

I would say a 1/4-1/2" would be ok. I understand the question as I hate when the top of the bra peeks out.....ruins the authenticity

Aziara,
    I'm with adella on this one....just a little hanging over should be fine, but you could always make it hang over as much as you want, then trim it if it flaps in the water!

So I have discovered that Victoria's Secret must have changed the foam padding in the bra cups....because it's causing cure inhibition, but only on the cups! I'm testing different bras now and will keep you guys updated If anyone is planning on making their own scale top, I do recommend washing the bra with mild detergent first to remove any possible surface contamination. The issue with the VS bras is definitely not surface contamination (I have done multiple tests on multiple VS bras) and I don't recommend using them. I'll have updates for you guys soon! I'm excited to make some new scale tops!

remember shellac spray paint as a physical barrier. That's a possibility

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Golden Pearl View Post
    remember shellac spray paint as a physical barrier. That's a possibility

Hmmmm....it would create a barrier, but it think it would also prevent the silicone from getting into the fibers of the fabric. I just picked up two new bras at kohls....I'm testing them tonight! I'll let you know how it goes!

If I can save up the money after "Shiver Me Timbers" event in Feb I will be getting some silicone.

Jessica, what do you recommend looking for in a bra? Like minimal padding? a "normal" bra that a person would wear? no padding? My thought was that if someone whom wanted to try this themselves might look at the bra aisle going "Shit"....because there are soooo many to choose from..

Adella,

I totally understand how frustrating it is! So many bras!! I can't guarantee that this will work...so much of it is trial and error, but I looked for bras with a good cover on the cups.....the thin nylon cover on the VS bras just doesn't work well. You should look for a bra that when you pinch the top layer...it isn't totally see through. The thicker the fabric, the better the chance that it will work well. Then again, this is just what worked for me so I can't guarantee that's its a good method. I would like to mention though......if you buy a nude bra, you can test it in the very center of the bra cup by brushing a bit of silicone in the fabric. If it cures, you're fine! If it doesn't cure or is tacky, then you can wipe most of it off and use the bra for a shell top.

You can also buy silpoxy (from smooth on) and use it to adhere the scales to the bra cups. I did this for Eva's scale bra since I had already bought a Victoria's Secret bra. It works just fine, but it's pricey....$28/3oz + tax and shipping!

I'm so happy.....both of the bras I bought worked great with silicone! I actually just went back and bought six more in various sizes. For those of you interested in scale bras, please pm me your sizes and I will let you know if I have it in stock

Strapless Scale bras:
    A-B cup $75
    C cup and above $85
    + shipping (actual cost)

i can make and ship a scale top within 1-2 weeks. They only take a few days to make (complex paint jobs can take longer or if I have to special order pigment)

I'm working on Eva's scale top today and will have pictures up in a day or so

Wow thanks for showing us this! I am thinking of maybe making a silicone top sort of along the lines of Raven's seaweed top (except I want it to have lily pads, leaves and flowers), hopefully using this method. I can foresee trouble with getting an intricate design like that to fit around the curves of the cups in the way that you did with the scales, though. How would you go about making a mold to get it to fit correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Aino Revontuletar View Post
    Wow thanks for showing us this! I am thinking of maybe making a silicone top sort of along the lines of Raven's seaweed top (except I want it to have lily pads, leaves and flowers), hopefully using this method. I can foresee trouble with getting an intricate design like that to fit around the curves of the cups in the way that you did with the scales, though. How would you go about making a mold to get it to fit correctly?
    you have a few options....the best option for you will depend on your cup size....

you can sculpt directly on a mannequin bust (cover the entire area in clay that will touch the mold material)
    you can sculpt clay boobs and then your design on top
    you can sculpt your design on a flat surface, but allow for a slight curve in the cup area by making the sculpture higher near the cups (this is a good method if you are smaller chested and are making a top that is straight across the chest, like a sports bra)

^ if you do any of these, you might want to brush silicone in your mold rather than pour. You don't want to fill in the curve of the cup, and silicone will level itself in a mold. Also, the thinner you make your silicone, the more flexible it will be. It's much easier to get thin silicone to stretch over the bra cups than thick silicone.

There are more options....but without knowing your bra size it's hard to tell you what might be easiest.

I hope this helps!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Fifi Tigg's Avatar
    Add Fifi Tigg on Facebook
    Follow Fifi Tigg on Flickr Visit Fifi Tigg's Youtube Channel
    Jessica would you be interested in making a little scale top for my little mermaid?
    She needs it to match her Finfolk tail
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    http://make animated gifs like this at MakeaGif

Fifi,

I would LOVE to! Do you have a design in mind? A halter style or tankini style would be so cute!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Wow...I have a huge chest and tiny bewbies!

I just thought of something, if you are a seamstress at all...cut fabric to fit the cup causing inhibition problems, attach scales to that fabric, then applique it to the bra.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Fifi Tigg's Avatar
    Add Fifi Tigg on Facebook
    Follow Fifi Tigg on Flickr Visit Fifi Tigg's Youtube Channel
    Yay! That's great! I'm not sure on style yet I will talk with Emily and maybe do some sketches
    I really like the pictures of your top on the first page, maybe something like that with a halter so it doesn't slip?
    Last edited by Fifi Tigg; 12-30-2013 at 06:33 PM.
    http://make animated gifs like this at MakeaGif