Thread: What do you think of...

Question What do you think of...

my new hair color,
    Its inferno red and I want to put in blue streaks but im thinking about it. Ignore little phoenix who is staring at my necklace.

You are beautiful. Red hair quite suits you. And I cannot ignore your bird, as it is too cute.

Did you dye your hair yourself or get it done at a salon?

Yes I dyed it myself, i wanted to try something different and also yes little phoenix is a ham - everything is new and interesting to him. Thank you for the compliment

Very nice! Suits you.

My son (14) wants a bird. We're thinking about it. Are they very hard to care for?

Alveric

Depends on the bird, I get my quaker parrots from a breeder so i raise them.They need big cages not little cages like 36x 36x 36,(my two boys have a cage for a cockatoo aka the parrot apartment) the smaller the cage the more depressed/territorial they get, they need to move those wings and have different areas for play, rest etc.

Parakeets need cockatiel sized cages (not the tiny cages the pet store people try to sell to get rid of the cages). In short Birds are like children, they need alot of love and affection, their smart and need lots of toys and can be trained. but they do have those teenage rebelious moments- as i call them. They have a varied diet like us humans but cant eat cartain things, I feed my (occasional seeds both parrakeet and sunflower but not all the time it leads to fatty liver disease), but mine eat pellets, pasta, millet with grains, fresh unseasoned vegetables and fruits. My paulie just turned 7 and I finally got him to eat broccoli..lol heres a list: http://www.quakerparrots.com/diet/fo...e-for-parrots/

But best suggestion is to do research, Parrots are a lifetime commitment. If you do get a bird, make sure you bird proof the house. Ive done my share of animal rescues, even had an alexandrine parrot who was kept in a tiny cage in a closet, she came into my care and she thrived in my care for 4 years she even began talking, before i found her a forever home. I continue to speak to her owners, they call me if they have questons and I visit her. and if your curious here are my boys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcW5f...el_video_title
    Last edited by New York Mermaid; 09-26-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks!

Alveric

He says he wants a parakeet. We're still discussing it. One concern I have is that we have two cats. They're both elderly (14), so I doubt they could do real mischief. But I wonder if they're mere presence might make the poor bird nervous and miserable.

Alveric

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    Love your hair color, it suits you nicely! My (ex-) friend got that same color, but it didn't turn out very well on her

The other day at a farmer's market I saw a beautiful (and lonely looking) blue quaker parrot! She was the only bird of her kind there and I wanted her so badly, to my dismay my parents said no. I would have loved to have her, she was so beautiful. Over herd the original owner said he sold her husband! How rude! LOL. Was gonna name her Skye
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."