Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Raina's NCMerfest Photo Dump and Thread!

Glad to see everybody had a great time!

Senior Member Pod of The South Ariadne's Avatar
    Add Ariadne on Facebook
    So. Much. Pretty. And so much talent! From the costumes to the body paint to the hula and fire dancers...I am in awe!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Well, after our flight being delayed Sean and I are sitting on the tarmac facing another 45 minute wait before getting off the ground... so I decided it is a good time to grab the laptop and make my merfest post!

Before I get into the details of everything that happened, I want to first say the organizers did an outstanding job. There were a few hiccups along the way, but they were the sort of hiccups that no one could control, plan for, or prevent. (Like, the shuttle driver for the hotel was fired so we lost shuttle services lol) There was so much love and thought put into this. There were alternatives planned for people who couldn’t afford to do everything. It felt like a family. No one was left out, everyone was included, and if someone felt sick or had a problem everyone rushed in to help!

Thursday

Sean and I flew out of Halifax just as a huge blizzard hit. There were 2ft of snow on the ground, and we weren’t sure we’d make it. We hit a few delays and what should have been a short flight ended up super long. But we arrived in NC just before midnight. A cab dropped us off at the hotel where Christomer, merman Christian, and a host of others, were waiting for us! Despite it being after midnight, it was decided by everyone else that the Canadians needed alcohol... LOL. So we went along to a local bar/pub with everyone to get to know people a bit better, have a drink, and eat some food. There may have been a call box in the pub, we may have fit many mermaids in it. Right away I just felt so included. It was lovely. Merman Christian even bought Sean and I our food! It had been so cold when we left Canada that I was shocked by the warmth in NC. It was a full 60 degrees warmer (f) than where I am from. Sean and I were sweating, lol and everyone laughed.

Friday

Friday we got up bright and early, about 50 of us head on a bus to the aquarium. For those arrive through that day, Christomer had arranged alternative things. We picked up our badges which looked amazing, and piled on a bus. Thom Shouse the tail man, entertained us with stories from his long career over the speaker- and holy cow we learned so much. Did you know the mermaid from charmed was afraid of water and a stunt double did a lot of the mermaid work? And a lot of her sequences had to have computer animated water... she was AFRAID of water! Lol. Crazy

On the bus I had next to Marla S who is on the forum here. She is a former Weeki mermaid, and she and I hit it off so well. She is now my adopted mermaid mom. She showed me her portfolio of weeki photos and told me so many stories.

I also heard a lot of Mermaid Julz’s story while we drove and really bonded with her. Everyone was amazing.
    One of the more hilarious moments, happened between myself and Thom Shouse. Thom had been talking a bit about having autoimmune disorder, which I also have. I was very moved by what he said, so when he started making his way down the bus I waved him over to chat. I gave him my little speal about everything, to which he opened his mouth to say something, .... and vomited!!!! LOL. We all felt so bad for him, and for me, haha it was just awkward because he didn’t even get a word in before it happened. We all helped him clean up and clean up the bus and he was right as rain after that. I just think it was funny my first experience trying to talk to him and the poor guy got sick.

We drove for 3 hours, and it flew by getting to know everyone. Then we stopped for lunch. Man USA, you deep fry EVERYTHING. Lol That was a bit of culture shock for me we ate some yummy food and chatted with more people getting to know them. Then hopped on the bus for the aquarium.
    The aquarium was small and I spent a lot of time meeting other mermaids, taking photos, and buying gifts for people back home. Christomer had arrived several private tours but I adopted to just go through at my own pace.

After the aquarium we headed back and went to dinner. At dinner I sat with Thom and we tried round 2 of getting to know each other. It was amazing. That man is something else. He was explaining to me the different things he adds in his tails, and there’s a lot more that goes in them than people realize... and his tails are capable of things others aren’t. We talked a bit about the trials and dramas of the mer community, and we had a real heart to heart about how we’d like to see things change. It was really inspiring. He shared more personal stories, and we bonded over our illness. By the end my dinner was getting cold and he and I had tears in our eyes. Beautiful stuff.
    We finished up dinner, and took the bus back to the hotel where most of the event participants had arrived.

Christomer had the right idea and gave out some free drinks... mermaid punch! He even made me some without my allergens! It helped, because it sort of took the edge off for everyone meeting everyone else. I got to chat with John Jay- the famous breath holder of the community, meet Kailani and other forum members, and meet Malena Sharkey.

Everyone chatted in the hotel and before long, the teeny tiny hotel pool was filled with mermaid tails and so was the hot tub we stayed up a bit too late, haha. But it was amazing. I got to know everyone, and guess who was waiting for me as a total surprise? MERMAN JESSE!!! He said he wasn’t coming and then that guy surprised us and I cried hahaha

I had a weird moment that I’ll share because it became quite pivotal later on. In the bathroom, a little drunk I admit, I was talking to this woman who was in the next stall. We were laughing and going on, and then when she came out I could see from her nametag she was a veteran weeki mermaid. She took one look at me and said, “Oh. You’re raina... you’re the mermaid who gives Eric all the trouble.’ And well, that would have been enough to put me off if I was sober... but I had a bit to drink haha so I was feeling invincible so I said, “yup! Yup I am!” we talked for a few minutes and she shared she’s been a long time mentor of Erics. She was polite to me, but I could tell I wasn’t in her good books. So I told her, I am who I say I am, come to my workshops and see who I really am sort of deal. Keep in mind, both of us are buzzed haha and this story will make more sense when I continue it in what happened the rest of the weekend...

Saturday

We got to bed rather late, but I was up early as I was teaching my workshop first thing in the morning. I got over to the centre with the help of merman Christian and Sean and I began setting up. There was about 20 people and I figured I was good to go when

Christomer asked me to wait. More and more and MORE people showed up. Before I knew it there were 50 people all waiting to hear my workshop! Gulp! And one of them was the woman from last night, from the bathroom, watching from the back row. Talk about pressure hehe

So I gave my workshop and I gotta tell you it went so well. Everyone was super receptive. I sold a bunch of books. Had some great questions, and people even cried at some parts. The best part though? The Weeki mermaid from the night before got up at the end of it and gave a speech saying I was one of the most professional mermaids she’d ever seen, that I knew exactly what I was doing, I put my money where my mouth is, and the community should be paying attention to me. I was floored. This was a woman who maybe didn’t have the best impression of me to begin with, and I won her over. She came up to me privately too and really encouraged me and validated me. I’d honestly say it was one of the best moments in my mermaid career. (side note, if you attended a workshop I’d love to know what you thought!) It was recorded, so hopefully you will be able to see it some time.

After the workshop we made a bee line for the mall to get ready for the fashion show. While I was doing this many others were in Steve Anton’s workshops on photography. I met up with Mermaid Victoria and her sister, JV, Merman Christian, Jesse, and a few others too. We ate a quick lunch, then it was off to get mermaid hair tinsel in my hair, makeup, and ready for the fashion show being put on by Mermaid atlantis. Who is seriously one of the coolest and sweetest mermaids I’ve ever met. She organized and INSANE fashion show at the mall with ariel acts, body painting, her clothing line, head dresses... it was epic. I hung out back stage for an hour getting ready and spending time with the other models, then it was time to do my turn on the cat walk. Lots of fun.
    The fashion show was a huge success and after it we all headed back to the pool for a dry and wet shoot in our fashion show clothes. I wasn’t able to do a full underwater shot but I loved the shot Steve took.

I snuck out to go back to the hotel, change, and get my tail. Then it was a free for all of tail swimming. Sean spent hours walking around helping everyone who was wearing their tail for the first time- get it on. I kid you not! He helped Kailani get hers on, helped Atlantis get hers on, and helped Dan and a few others. So, people pretty much fell in love with sean. And Steve Anton fell in love with us! He convinced Sean to let him get those photos. It was an amazing experience. Steve is so kind. I swam around with John Jay too who gave me some tips on breath holding. Sean swam all over trying to get photos and footage of people who didn’t have their own cameras etc.

After that we all headed back to the hotel to get ready for the ball. After the first batch of people left, the guy who was driving everyone GOT FIRED. Lol and no one knew! So more than half of us were super late for the ball. I arrived just as food was being served at the museum. The dinner was beautiful but the museum was prepared for max 80 people and something like 95 showed up. So we were short at least two tables worth of seating. So a lot of people had to wait for a turn to sit. Christomer tried to fix it, but he couldn’t make tables appear` out of thin air... so you know we all just kinda made it work. The lady from Weeki invited me to sit with her and we had a great chat. It made me so happy to think we went from that awkward talk in the bathroom to having heart to hearts at the ball.

There was an area to get a free photo and we did that. When Sean and I did that we noticed Thom Shouse standing really upset by himself. We went over by him and I guess through an accident he got missed and was feeling left out. So we took him under our wing, got him some food, and a place to sit with us, and honestly, Sean didn’t leave his side all night. Thom had an eager audience in several mers J and his spirits picked right back up again.

Meanwhile, many of us hit the dance floor. There was a singing contest to seduce a pirate. Atlantis and her friend did a song and they were wearing shell bras that lit up it was hilarious. I sang led Zepplin to be funny haha. Then we started dancing! Merman Christian is pretty much the best dancer I have ever seen.

We got a great group photo, and then it was back to dance a little, and then all pile into cabs and get back to the hotel for the after party. More drinks were had, more pool and hot tub time. I stayed up til 3 am having heart to hearts with so many awesome people. It was amazing. Steve anton spent loads of timed editing photos too and sent us the ones you saw which made me cry

I got to bed a bit late, and someone decided to run up and down the hall screaming so I didn’t get more than 2 hours sleep.

Sunday

I woke up in a great deal of pain and wasn’t sure how the day would go. I hobbled down to breakfast where Steve was waiting to sit with me, pain killers in hand, and encouraging words. It really helped me get my day off to a good start. We visited and then headed to the centre to give our workshop.
    The workshop went really well, and Malena Sharkey was in attendance. She gave me some awesome positive and validating feedback when it was finished, which really made me feel like I was on a cloud. Everyone seemed to really enjoy the workshop again, sold a few more books, and then I stuck around for Steve’s workshop on photography underwater and learned a lot. Meanwhile, some people were in the pool learning breath holding from John Jay.

After that it was time for adopt a mermaid! I sponsored a little girl, I’ll call her G. I met G, we had lunch, and then I put some mermaid makeup and jewellery and gems on her, and a merbellas clip in her hair. I Gave her a mermaid necklace and a book. I got to know her and her mom, then it was time to put her in her tail!

G was a really good swimmer, but her feet were so tiny for the smallest monofin that even with socks on her feet just wouldn’t stay. The pool was really deep, so instead of her swimming a lot i gave her rides. Steve anton also took a photo of us underwater and it turned out sooooo cute I can’t wait to see it.

Seanny lifted us both of out of the water and carted us over to the kid pool, much warmer and shallower. G had a much easier time in there, and I ended up in it with her and most of the other kids and Hyli and Eden and we all swam with them. They were adorable.

G was attached to my hip and we hung out pretty much until the event was over. She even watched the Olympics with me. At`that point I was really crashing. So someone else will have to recall the contests, lol I was all out. I managed to pose for some of the group photos but I was feeling sicker and sicker so Merman Christian wisked me back to the hotel where I literally fell asleep in the bath.

I got in about 90 minutes before it was time to hit the Luau. I’ve never been to one before, I’ve never had Cuban food. I got dressed up and headed out and met some mers. I signed and sold a few more books, and received a few gifts. Rachel from the dive bar (total sweet heart) did a dance, there was the draw for the finfolk tail (Marla L won!) and then there was an AMAZING fire act!! They even got SEAN to eat FIRE! And put fire on my hand!! So cool.
    Christomer took some photos I’ll post later.

By this time, i was a sobbing mess crying all over everyone because I was having such a good time but I knew it would be over soon. We enjoyed the rest of it, and then headed home for one last after party. Mermaid Punch, hot tubs (Bonnie gave me glowing underwater balls haha too awesome) and heart to hearts... then it was off to bed.

There are so many things I’m sure I missed, funny stories, people, but I’m still coming off the high and am totally exhausted and travelling. I really enjoyed the whole thing so much. I cant even put it into words but it was unlike any con. It was like a giant MER FAMILY REUNION.

I was very sad Iona couldn’t make it, she would have loved it. I hope I get to go again. I’m sure I’ll have more to share and when I make it home I’ll have some photos.

So Much love.

Thanks for sharing, Raina. It was beautifull and i'm looking forward to hear new stories and experiences from other merfolks.

Sending you a lot of hugs to cheer you up :

I was sad to not be able to go but hey, at least, i will have my dream tail from Finfolk for next year so there is a bright side somewhere.
    Someone gotta represent France and i'm willing to do the task LOL

And to other mers that i missed : I haven't met you guys but you are already all awesome in my heart and i can't wait to meet all of you next year.

For all of you :

Does anyone have pictures of the badges? I just love looking at convention badges! (and I need to see some awesome art because over the weekend I was in the artist alley of a local anime con and the badges were horrible for artists :[ lol )

Didn't snap any photos at the con, but I did get a picture of my badge, and the necklace medals from the MerOlympics.

Name:  HPIM3966.JPG
Views: 500
Size:  402.7 KB

Standard attendees had to write our names on, but venders, speakers, and VIPs had their names printed on. They were very pretty.

Wow, love it! I'm very much a jellyfish right now. It sounds like the convention was a fantastic experience all around, and I'm hopeful that I could be in attendance [maybe, got a merling coming] next year or the year after.
    In the meantime, keep sharing these awesome pictures and stories so I can live vicariously through the rest of you. XD

Re: Raina's NCMerfest Photo Dump and Thread!

This looks like so much fun! I will very much be planning to go next year.
    I feel the seawater in my veins. I listen to the roar of the sea and it speaks to me like a mothers voice. The tide pulls at my heart. - Night Tide

The badges are pretty neat to include both names, haha!

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    This is AWESOME!! I'm reminded that there is a mer-Con coming up in August here! I hope it will be just as awesome!!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Melanie's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Melanie on Facebook
    sounds like so much fun - wish there was a Merfest Asia lol x
    Yougot your own style, now let it come through. And remember no matter what, you got to be you. -Sebastian

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Raina,

The private tour at the aquarium was a behind-the-scenes sort of deal. As a home aquarist, I found it amusing when a mermaid or merman winced at the smell of rotting seaweed! We did get to see a papa seahorse with his babies, so it was worth it!

At the seminar on Saturday (50 people AND 3 hand puppets, btw) I forgot to ask you to sign my iPad, since I have your book in PDF form.

And thank Sean again for the help with my new tail!
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Wow Raina,

I'm so overwhelmed by your story :o It feels like I was there! <3
    Thank you for sharing this amazing story with us!!

<3

Senior Member Euro Pod Azurin Luna's Avatar
    Add Azurin Luna on Facebook
    Sounds like a lot of fun, now I wish I could have been there... but I'm kinda scared of meeting new people (very shy in public)
    Your imagination is your only limit

A few people were like that and they did really well

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    What a wonderful wrap up, Raina! I really wish I could have been there!

Thom got one of my books too and read it in a night! Lol can't wait til I have time for posting my actual pics

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Wow it looked like everyone had an amazing time! I'm so sad I couldn't go
    I'm really hoping I'll be able to attend in one of the following years!
    Facebook~ Youtube ~ Instagram
    ~ Phoenix Mermaid ~

I have pictures that I posted to my public FB page under Mermaid Bonnie. Here is a link I hope works:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4619090&type=1