Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Mermaids in Second Life

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Me, when I started back in 2007, I started with making clothes, accessories and avatars which did not exist back then,
    like traditional chinese clothing (literally hundreds of those, all styles and dynasties, also some minority outfits), dancing outfits, skating dresses, ballet shoes, etcetc.

I made a lot of fantasy avatars, buildings, loads of stuff.
    Mermaid things were on the side, I was into the serpent/dragon/fairy market.

That took me several years, but at one point, I had simply made everything I was interested in making, so I'm only seldom logging into SL these days.
    Usually I check what's new (and some of the things I made are STILL not available on the market, or in a version I don't like), maybe chat with some friends if they're on.

If they are on and have nothing else planned, we might meet somewhere, go RP, dance, or just talk.
    I'm not a big partygoer, but there are clubs with dance and live music all over SL.

There is also the possibility of investing a bit of money in SL, then you can rent a place, furnish it, and hang out there, which is probably neat, but I lack the time and interest for that right now with my busy RL.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    Me, when I started back in 2007, I started with making clothes, accessories and avatars which did not exist back then,
    like traditional chinese clothing (literally hundreds of those, all styles and dynasties, also some minority outfits), dancing outfits, skating dresses, ballet shoes, etcetc.

I made a lot of fantasy avatars, buildings, loads of stuff.
    Mermaid things were on the side, I was into the serpent/dragon/fairy market.

That took me several years, but at one point, I had simply made everything I was interested in making, so I'm only seldom logging into SL these days.
    Usually I check what's new (and some of the things I made are STILL not available on the market, or in a version I don't like), maybe chat with some friends if they're on.

If they are on and have nothing else planned, we might meet somewhere, go RP, dance, or just talk.
    I'm not a big partygoer, but there are clubs with dance and live music all over SL.

There is also the possibility of investing a bit of money in SL, then you can rent a place, furnish it, and hang out there, which is probably neat, but I lack the time and interest for that right now with my busy RL.
    I watched a documentary last year, where some people quit their jobs, to play in Second Life, because they were making better money in the game, than in real life.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I own a store, though I don't have a storefront anymore. I just sell on the marketplace. I don't make a heck of a lot, certainly not enough to live on but now and then I will pull out $50.00 or so. Nice as spare cash.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Second Life night club owners, furniture makers and clothes. That's what they showed. Some guy quit his $300,000 a year job, just so he could make millions in it. To me, sounds a bit fishy unless you're dealing in something that's not allowed in-game? I dunno. Really don't know how you could quit a nice paying job, with perks and stuff to live your life inside a game.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Follow Kunoichi Ribeiro On Twitter Add Kunoichi Ribeiro on Facebook
    Visit Kunoichi Ribeiro's Youtube Channel
    I had join SL a few years ago, but i don't adapt to. Was very complicated for me, so i stay where i was before, on IMVU is basic the same thing, but you don't need memorize 100 thousand ways to walk, fly and etc. Its so cool as SL. And the things are not so expensive. Name:  Snap_j5dwFE8z36222862966.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  577.0 KB

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Second Life night club owners, furniture makers and clothes. That's what they showed. Some guy quit his $300,000 a year job, just so he could make millions in it.
    Eh....I'm really not sure.
    Well-done, artistic furniture/houses and especially well-programmed gadgets sell for quite a few L$, that's true, but if you converse that to real currency, what you gain is minuscule.

You'd have to sell thousands upon thousands of items to make any noticable profit- a bit of cash on the side I can imagine, but enough to quit a well-paying job?
    There is nothing legal I can imagine that will make you that kind of money in SL.

An agency once wanted to hire me as a translator and interpreter, but they wanted to pay me in SL average wages so to speak for work taking just as much time iRL
    (I think it amounted to something like 10 Cent for half an hour work or so).

As for nightclub owners, the rent is insane, same as for any SIM.
    I don't see how you could make that money back from Linden Lab- and if you do, the profit is probably small.

The only thing that could work imo is using SL as a platform to sell your RL skills/products.
    So you make the contacts on SL, but provide services iRL and charge for it likewise.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Adrienne's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Adrienne on Facebook
    yup, I'm on there... Red Queen is my username. mer with black hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    Eh....I'm really not sure.
    Well-done, artistic furniture/houses and especially well-programmed gadgets sell for quite a few L$, that's true, but if you converse that to real currency, what you gain is minuscule.

You'd have to sell thousands upon thousands of items to make any noticable profit- a bit of cash on the side I can imagine, but enough to quit a well-paying job?
    There is nothing legal I can imagine that will make you that kind of money in SL.

An agency once wanted to hire me as a translator and interpreter, but they wanted to pay me in SL average wages so to speak for work taking just as much time iRL
    (I think it amounted to something like 10 Cent for half an hour work or so).

As for nightclub owners, the rent is insane, same as for any SIM.
    I don't see how you could make that money back from Linden Lab- and if you do, the profit is probably small.

The only thing that could work imo is using SL as a platform to sell your RL skills/products.
    So you make the contacts on SL, but provide services iRL and charge for it likewise.

*raises hand* you can also make quite a bit of money putting a tip jar out and dancing in the adult areas
    Take the wave now and know that you're free
    Turn your back on the land face the sea
    Face the wind now so wild and so strong
    When you think of me
    Wave to me and send me a song

I love SL and have been on it for a long time. My name on there is Sheba Metaluna. I am also a club owner and as far as rent goes, I pay $25 usd a month for my land and music stream. I have no intention of making SL my primary job though, I see it as more of a place to unwind and relax. It is also a nice creative outlet.

I have SL as well and I RP a mermaid (technically siren) there. I am SM Nick, or supermeganick being my username.

Junior Member Pod of The South MermaidFifi's Avatar
    Add MermaidFifi on Facebook
    I play SL, but man I think I'm a bit late to comment lol. Still play too
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
    I do not think that they will sing to me."
    - T.S. Eliot, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Adrienne's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Adrienne on Facebook
    I get on when I cant swim in real life :/ Name:  Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 2.47.19 am.png
Views: 510
Size:  396.7 KB usually I cant decide what colour tail I should have so I mix and match with the same design.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but. . .another SL mermaid, reporting for duty.

Just poking my nose in to see if anyone is still active on SL, I've recently re-joined SL (Took a 4 - 5 year hiatus because "I'm not sure why, life?") and will be RPing a merfolk on the sim Song of Silverwind once my application is approved.

https://gyazo.com/29b36d3812cb8ce43b633a4362d0836e
    ^me

Not the greatest tail, but I haven't found one I like enough to drop hundreds/thousands of L$ on yet.
    Hope to see some of you folk around~