Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Silicone dolphin tail

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Melanie's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Melanie on Facebook
    Hey guys - PearlieMae suggested I share my new mono fin on this thread its pretty mammal ! Im in love with it and can't wait to try it out tomorrow !

Name:  mono2.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  38.7 KB

Name:  mono3.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  68.3 KB
    Yougot your own style, now let it come through. And remember no matter what, you got to be you. -Sebastian

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    That would make such a perfect dolphin tail!

Where did you get it? it looks neat!
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    That would make such a perfect dolphin tail!
    Not really, a dolphin's fluke is much less broad, it's almost sickle-shaped- very much like the Lunocet.

With that cut monofin up there I don't see a difference to most monofins used by mers and tailmakers, it's a normal monofin with a cut-out.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Name:  dolfinfluke.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  43.6 KB

just to compare.

Silicone dolphin tail

Quote Originally Posted by caltuna View Post
    Not really, a dolphin's fluke is much less broad, it's almost sickle-shaped- very much like the Lunocet.

With that cut monofin up there I don't see a difference to most monofins used by mers and tailmakers, it's a normal monofin with a cut-out.
    Sometimes, Caltuna, I would say that you're negative...

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

Senior Member Euro Pod SeaNymph's Avatar
    Anatomically, Caltuna is right. This monofin has to be cut again a little to be really dolphin-like ;-)
    From Africa: A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor. It´s the rough times that make what you are!

My friend JV made a smooth orca tail, a while back before getting the new one made, I know quote a few mers on here that want to make or in process of making a cetacean tail. Im planning on one myself. I personally believe the closest fin specially to a dolphin fluke you can get is a dol-fin monofin http://www.dol-fin.net/products.html

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Melanie's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Melanie on Facebook
    Just making clear Im not making a cetacean tail ...just thought it had a bit of mammal in it - and yeah very negative tones there caltuna glass half empty much?

Gem Stone - its a custom made special fins mono fin - they make the foot pockets to your exact size and custom cut the fluke shape also very happy with it going for a swim very soon with it to try it out
    Yougot your own style, now let it come through. And remember no matter what, you got to be you. -Sebastian

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Melanie View Post
    Just making clear Im not making a cetacean tail ...just thought it had a bit of mammal in it - and yeah very negative tones there caltuna glass half empty much?

Gem Stone - its a custom made special fins mono fin - they make the foot pockets to your exact size and custom cut the fluke shape also very happy with it going for a swim very soon with it to try it out
    I didn't know they cut the monofin too! Yes to achieve an actual dolphin fluke more molding is necessary, but it would weigh down the fluke... Probably best for a competitor stiffness in a monofin.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Mermaid View Post
    My friend JV made a smooth orca tail, a while back before getting the new one made, I know quote a few mers on here that want to make or in process of making a cetacean tail. Im planning on one myself. I personally believe the closest fin specially to a dolphin fluke you can get is a dol-fin monofin http://www.dol-fin.net/products.html
    This fin is awesome! I absolutely love it!
    “The cure for anything is salt water -- sweat, tears, or the sea.”
    Isak Dinesen - http://www.worldofquotes.com/topic/water/2/index.html
    Follow me on Facebook and Youtube!

My Facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mermai...38613266232787

My Youtube page:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MermaidDanielle2012

OK, so I've been working on an actual dolphin shaped monofin lately. the prototype worked wonderfully until I slapped the concrete wall and broke it. currently working on a better version, but the propulsion was great. I'm making this for my friend, who wanted a dolphin shaped fluke in her tail. pics will come eventually when I get the monofin built and in the tail. but it is shaped like a dolphin tail, and it does give me good propulsion given how small the first one was. the second one will be bigger. and when pictures come, I must warn, the foot pocket is made of colored Duct Tape, so be prepared
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod lynsea's Avatar
    Melanie, where did you get that monofin?! It's the perfect shape!
    “I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.”
    Anaïs Nin

Member Pod of the Midwest MysticMerman's Avatar
    I was thinking about doing similar for my shark inspired tails. Maybe using sand paper or something like that for a rough but barely noticeable texture... I'm having my first silicone made though. I'll eventually start making my own as I gain experience and knowledge in tail design. (It's just an expensive project to mess up on, needless to say)

I just found out something! The mertailor whale tail is actually silicone!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I don't think Caltuna is being negative, she is being precise. It's not easy to interpret inflection from strictly text, something I think we need to remember.

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by caltuna View Post
    Name:  dolfinfluke.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  43.6 KB

just to compare.
    Actually, if you'll forgive me, dolphins (at least bottlenose dolphins) have a "general" shape for their tails, but as human hands, each dolphin has its own fluke shape. Some are narrower, some are wider, some don't have the middle dent very deep, like in the picture.

I worked with 5 dolphins long ago, and you could tell which one was just by the shape of their fluke. The more characteristic one was the one of the male, which was kind of serrated in on of the sides (not made like that by an accident), and the two fluke sides kind of mounted over one another in the middle. I have never seen a fluke like that in any other Tursiops.

Regarding Eric's tail, I wonder why they wanted to give the tail a "grainy" texture. After all, marine mammals are wonderfully smooth...

Silicone dolphin tail

Maybe it was a hump back whale, you know how they have those bumps and kind of texture. Who knows...

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel

Silicone dolphin tail

This is a really old thread but I just had to pop in and say wow! I loved Erics whale tail and I never though about how it was made! Sounds intense!