Thread: Dive Computer

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Arella's Avatar
    Follow Arella On Twitter Add Arella on Facebook

Dive Computer

Hey guys,
    So I'm thinking about buying a dive computer but I don't know if I really *need* one. All the diving I do is with a dive master so I'm not sure. Thoughts? Thanks!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    A dive computer is useful for more than just scuba diving.
    It's a sensible thing to have for freediving, or freedive-style finswimming/tailswimming.

I spend a lot of time under water and make around 30-50 dives over the span of several hours.
    If I had a dive computer, I'd know my co2 table better, and could maybe make the surface time even less.
    I could also check the depth if I freedive without a measuring tape (hint: always), so yea, it would be useful.

I'd go for it if I had the cash.

If you can afford it, get one. They're so much better and safer than just depth gauges. And equipment redundancy is good and improves your safety. What if the divemaster's computer were to fail for some reason? Then you would still have yours. I prefer the air-integrated ones but some people prefer the wrist mounts, and some people even like to have both (redundancy--safer). If you can get one, I wouldn't hesitate, even if you only plan on doing guided dives.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    Yup. The calculations are a bee-yatch to make if you are doing multiple dives and if you, say, go ten feet further down than you expected, the dive computer can adjust to give you the maximum time you can possibly have. Otherwise you would have to come up early to be safe, since you have to follow your mathematical calculations. Get a dive computer before you get a BCD. Best thing you will ever get. Fumbling with the charts gets OLD, FAST. ESPECIALLY if you do sequential diving. TOTALLY worth the dough. I am sure if you are diving with a divemaster then they have a dive computer, but it is totally worth every cent to get one of your own.
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Melanie's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Melanie on Facebook
    having a dive comp is the first thing you should buy - as a dive instructor I always prefer my fun divers to have their own - if you are diving in a group and someone goes low on air early in ... you will probs have to go up with the DM ... but if you have a dive comp and an SMB ( Surface Marker Buoy ) you can continue your dive safely and finish it safely - I have gone thru a few comps now I use Sunnto D6i which is a bit expensive if you are just diving recreationally, you can find cheaper models just as good ! i recommend Suunto D4 or an Oceanic - Suunto will be very conservative with its bottom time allowance - meaning it doesnt give you as much time as some other computers ( such as oceanic ) price ranges from about 120 pounds to over 1,000 the if anyone wants to order Suunto I get amazing trade prices here in Thailand !
    Yougot your own style, now let it come through. And remember no matter what, you got to be you. -Sebastian

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Arella's Avatar
    Follow Arella On Twitter Add Arella on Facebook
    Thanks guys at the moment I only plan on diving with a dive master but you guys have good points

Actually, I prefer my old gauges to my computer! Easier to do a paper log with, and many don't account for cold water use. The only downside is I can't read them too well narced.

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    I personally would definitely get a dive compuer of my own and not rely solely on that of my buddy. You will never dive exactly the same profile, and there are depth ranges where a few meters make a lot of difference in saturation! Furthermore if you get separated (I know this should never happen, but in reality it ist always to be considered) you are left without dive (saturation and remaining bottom time) info.

If you (as a mermaid) look for a dive computer, get one which has not just a decent scuba mode (including nitrox, if possible), but a decent freedive ("mermaid" ) mode as well. I personally prefer wrist-mounted computers, which you can also get air-integrated (you put a transmitter to your first stage and the wrist computer gets the tank pressure information wire- and hoseless). Air integration ist not strictly a must (price!), but it helps a lot, as the computer will consider your saturation AND your available air for the way back when calculating your available bottom time.

Personally I use the Suunto D4i, which is a wrist-mounted, air-integrated computer (scuba modes for air and nitrox and a freedive mode) the size of a sports watch (actually, I'm using it as a watch all day when not diving ). The small size has real benefits when freediving (not as bulky as other models, in fact I did more freedives than scuba yet). This should be no recommendation, just a personal experience! Other manufacturers make good computers, too!

Quote Originally Posted by caltuna View Post
    A dive computer is useful for more than just scuba diving.
    It's a sensible thing to have for freediving, or freedive-style finswimming/tailswimming.

I spend a lot of time under water and make around 30-50 dives over the span of several hours.
    If I had a dive computer, I'd know my co2 table better, and could maybe make the surface time even less.
    I could also check the depth if I freedive without a measuring tape (hint: always), so yea, it would be useful.

I'd go for it if I had the cash.
    I couldn't have explained it any better. I agree with caltuna. A dive is worth the buy because there it has so many uses. The only question is if you have the cash to buy one, if so, then go for it.
    Home to the world's best selection of scuba dive equipment and accessories.