Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "The time has come," the orca said, "to talk of mermaid boobs."

"The time has come," the orca said, "to talk of mermaid boobs."

Now that I got you here with either the cute Alice-in-Wonderland-esque title I put up there, or the mention of boobs, welcome!

Seriously, I want to talk tops and breasts.

There are so many adorable mermaid tops out there that I want, no .... that I NEED and the cup sizes on them are just a lot smaller than what I wear. Most of the sizes stop at about 34 or 36 C ... I am a 38 C. That is not a big difference when written down, but it sure as heck is when you go to put on a bra or mermaid top.

Have any fellow maids out there done okay mashing your breasts into smaller tops? Do you use any tape-like adhesives to accomplish this?

And in terms of cute tops, I am speaking of tops like Raven's Octopi or shell bras; I am not a fan of the scale-top look.

Currently, my shell top (click here to see) is huge and has more green than shell on it. I am just wondering... is there hope for me to get a pretty kelp or octopus bra in the future? Shall I invest in some tape for the wedding? (I'm still planning that, yes.)

I just want to get some advice on how to get a nice top and avoid a "RELEASE THE KRAKENS!" moment while swimming and still look awesome doing it.... as in keeping the top on, not releasing the monsters.

((Wow! So many typos. I will never type without my glasses on / contacts in again. Apologies!))
    Last edited by Little_Orca; 01-09-2014 at 05:41 PM.

~*~ To Thine Own Mermaid Be True ~*~
    ~~~ Follow me on Facebook: Merlissa the Mermaid~~~
    Deviant Art Etsy Store YouTube Mermaid Blog Instagram

I fell you. 36D here Dx

If you don't mind sharing.....how large of a shell would you need to cover a size 38C? This is assuming you still want just a little greenery in between and on the sides a bit too.

I dont have this problem, but I know that a lot of mers do and I've been thinking about sculpting a really large shell. I would like to make silicone shells that could be adhered to a bra (for support!) I made a mini octopus the other day for the middle of my scale top, but he could also be stuck in between shells on a shell top. ( I make mini seahorses too!)

I know it's wayyyy smaller than what you're thinking of, but he's cute in the middle of a top! (It isn't painted yet, just tinted )

octopus:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The shells in the picture I have posted in the link are large lion paws, so they are pretty big. I think My main goal would be to have a top that is like 80% shell with the greenery as a decoration, not the main focal point. Something similar in proportion to this top by Merbellas (picture.)

The main criticism I hear on my top is "That is a lot of green..." or "You couldn't find any bigger shells?" Not unless I want to strap conchs to my chest...

I don't necessarily want a complete shell-look. I am not going for Ariel. I enjoy the mix of shell and foliage, but I just have to use too much foliage. :\

~*~ To Thine Own Mermaid Be True ~*~
    ~~~ Follow me on Facebook: Merlissa the Mermaid~~~
    Deviant Art Etsy Store YouTube Mermaid Blog Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Orca View Post
    I just want to get some advice on how to get a nice top and avoid a "RELEASE THE KRAKENS!" moment while swimming and still look awesome doing it.... as in keeping the top on, not releasing the monsters.
    haha! Release the krakens.

Anyway- I had an idea for you, based on something I've been thinking about. I don't have a large size, but prior to breast feeding I had practically perfectly symmetrical breasts, and now I do not. One is a cup size smaller, so I plan to make silicone shells and sea stars for a bra-top. My idea for one side is to layer one shell underneath with another to create an illusion that my breasts are the same size- it's just for my ego because I like being symmetrical.

So, you could layer shells. Esp if you can have someone make silicone lion's paws, having them sort of overlap for coverage could work and give you the coverage and support you need, without making just really big shells.

I know this feel. 32-34 D here. I was going to make a new shell bra recently becuase I was going through my photos and realized I had WOAH amounts of cleavage with my old shell bra, and realized that's because I made it when I was a C cup X_x At this point, it only covers my nipples cause it's a sticky bra O_O Maybe the pirates like it, but not so family friendly. Then I put on a strapless bra and took my largest lion paw and realized.. It's gonna have to be mostly foliage. See that sad realization with this photo. *le sigh*

I want one of Raven's tops sooo bad! But her original seaweed top, if you order a D cup some of the nude cup shows. Like this:

Not a fan of that :/ Her new seaweed top I thought I could get, but then realized that Raven in a C cup, and that for me the amount of cleavage with that top wouldn't be family friendly either Same for her new octo top.
    Finfolk Productions has a seaweed top that they will make in any size "if the bra size exists, we can make it". And they cover all the straps so no bra shows, and it's not extra for extra straps, which I like too!

Name:  1476078_246343432196269_197783225_n.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  110.8 KB

Name:  1466270_241989212631691_1480172746_n.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  54.4 KB

But honestly.. I just don't like the look. It's too simple to be paying $300 for IMO. Raven's tops are just so much prettier (my opinion, of course). I also agree in that I'm not really a fan of the scale top look. I think they can look amazing, of course, but just it's just not my personal style.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
    If you don't mind sharing.....how large of a shell would you need to cover a size 38C? This is assuming you still want just a little greenery in between and on the sides a bit too.

I dont have this problem, but I know that a lot of mers do and I've been thinking about sculpting a really large shell. I would like to make silicone shells that could be adhered to a bra (for support!)
    I love that some people are selling casted larger shells! I know Mermaid Atlantis (she's the one who did the fashion show at NC Merfest) sells silicone shells. One size is A-C, the other is D-G cup! You can find the listing here (her store link is here, in case that listing runs out).

BUT. I really REALLY wish people would sell them in something other than silicone! Yes, silicone is a mermaid favorite- we know it, we love it. But it's REALLY expensive! $45 + S&H for shells?? I could understand that if you wanted to wear them as the top with no bra. But if you're putting it on a bra base, cast them out of something cheaper! I don't know too much about casting materials, but there has got to be a better alternative than silicone for those who are just going to put them on a bra base. That pretty much cuts out all reason for them to be cast of silicone (the comfort).

I'm just sayin! Some mer needs to get on that

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Mermaid Sirena is pairing up with another mer (whose name escapes me atm) to start a company specifically for this FYI

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Bella's Avatar
    im a double d. i feel ya!

im looking into a kelp bra myself, and it is not easy. i used to get fabric and tie my girls down but it doesn't look good. nor does squeezing into smaller tops, it doesn't work it just looks awful when there is not enough coverage.

personally i really like your top but i can see what you mean by the shell sizes when you posted the other picture. hrmmm....

i have to agree about casting a larger shell out of silicone :/

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    I love that some people are selling casted larger shells! I know Mermaid Atlantis (she's the one who did the fashion show at NC Merfest) sells silicone shells. One size is A-C, the other is D-G cup! You can find the listing here (her store link is here, in case that listing runs out).

BUT. I really REALLY wish people would sell them in something other than silicone! Yes, silicone is a mermaid favorite- we know it, we love it. But it's REALLY expensive! $45 + S&H for shells?? I could understand that if you wanted to wear them as the top with no bra. But if you're putting it on a bra base, cast them out of something cheaper! I don't know too much about casting materials, but there has got to be a better alternative than silicone for those who are just going to put them on a bra base. That pretty much cuts out all reason for them to be cast of silicone (the comfort).

i was actually thinking that they could be cast very thin (like the thickness of thin scales) and backed with powermesh for a little extra strength. Since there is a bra backing, you really don't need thick silicone shells. the powermesh would drastically reduce the amount of silicone used and probably cut the cost in half too

I think silicone is also a favorite since it has a really long useable life. Some cheaper options might not hold up to extended use.

Mainly I'm thinking about a hybrid top....silicone shells, some fishnet, greenery, a few real shells...it think it would look pretty and be lighter than a regular shell top too (I think weight is an issue regardless of bra size!)

Jessica, what shade pearl ex is the main color on that pinkish beige bra above ?

Iona,
    you do have a good bit of bra to cover on the sides....what about attaching the fishnet at the bottom of the cup on the sides, and then running it up the cup and around the neck? You could always do an extra layer of fishnet on the bra if it shows too much....I think it would fill that area in well, without having a massive amount of greenery

Kind of like this bikini top...the halter strap attaches at the bottom of the cup:

http://www.lyst.com/clothing/shoshan...er-bikini-top/

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Golden Pearl View Post
    Jessica, what shade pearl ex is the main color on that pinkish beige bra above ?
    It was originally just pink gold, but to match Eva's tail I mixed pink gold with pearl white and macro pearl and painted that on top

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    Is there any harder material you could use instead? Resin, maybe? I'm not really up to date with materials, but it'd be nice to have a pair of shells that felt realistic as well as looking realistic.

Ty Jessica. You can buy foam shells online for like $2.95
    http://www.centurynovelty.com/detail...074&origin=pla
    you'd still have to add a lot of something to them to cover up.
    I am sure someone could cast sculptures in foam on here. Ive never worked with foam yet
    Here they are for $2.79 !!!
    http://www.ziggos.com/products/child...FW9nOgod7hoACg

Amazon sells a Dragonskin 'sample' kit for about $30. If one makes it oneself, it's a lot cheaper.

But yeah, it would just be nice to have more options.

On a bra base, natural shells could be overlapped in a nice pattern, larger shells with smaller ones. Or use some that are a more shallow height, so to speak, so you don't end up with a reef on your chest.

One thing to help with less cleavage is to make sure you're properly sized--many stores don't even know how to size you themselves! I went from a 32A to a 28D, comfort is wayyyy better and makes me feel a lot more confident! (good link to try: http://i.imgur.com/jcNkeVr.png , this is another good reference to show that 28D isn't that big: http://www.brabandproject.com/) However, this will ultimately make it wayyy harder to find a top with shells that fit you since most people tend to think D is really big, when in reality that's just a 4 inch bust difference.

While it seems that there aren't many choices it's clear to see in this thread that this is an issue for quite a few mers and there are some solutions in the making. Hooray!

Quote Originally Posted by MerEmma View Post
    Dude, if those images are accurate I'd be a F or FF cup O_O

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
    Iona,
    you do have a good bit of bra to cover on the sides....what about attaching the fishnet at the bottom of the cup on the sides, and then running it up the cup and around the neck? You could always do an extra layer of fishnet on the bra if it shows too much....I think it would fill that area in well, without having a massive amount of greenery

Kind of like this bikini top...the halter strap attaches at the bottom of the cup:

http://www.lyst.com/clothing/shoshan...er-bikini-top/
    Not a bad idea! I'll have to play around with it. Thanks Jessica

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Dude, if those images are accurate I'd be a F or FF cup O_O
    They're definitely accurate! F cup really isn't that big but with the way our culture just completely disregards band size most of the time, it sure seems like it would be. You can read on reddit.com/r/abrathatfits even more people who thought they were a D cup of some sort, some of them ending up being sized much much bigger.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Elle's Avatar
    Follow Elle On Twitter
    Visit Elle's Youtube Channel
    yeah. it seems everyone is trying to cram their girls into bras that are just too small. For ages I thought I was a 14C (which I think is 34 or 36 for you guys) then I was told I was a 14F. now I'm sitting comfortably in a 16DD it pays to get measured up and shop around. Bras differ brand to brand and then you have different models to each brand - confusing or what!?!
    "Will you walk a little faster?" said a Whiting to a Snail
    "There's a Porpoise right behind us and he's treading on my tail!"

Tail making progress http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-making-a-tail