Thread: Wanna Get Awesome Powdered Pigments?! Go to ETSY! :)

Wanna Get Awesome Powdered Pigments?! Go to ETSY! :)

So I searched "pigments" after scrolling through etsy and find some AMAZING colors kits and different features in the pigments!
    http://www.etsy.com/search?q=pigment...p_to=US&page=1

I found holographic pigments if you wanted to make a tail that has the glitter effect as Merdivas tail's have. There are glow in the dark pigments! And the best part is all of them are mostly MICA Powders which proved to work with Jacquard Pearl- Ex (since those are mostly just colored mica powders). I thought these were beautiful and looked like a good deal- http://www.etsy.com/listing/16882914...earch_type=all
    Silicone mermaid tail maker DREAM!

Wanna Get Awesome Powdered Pigments?! Go to ETSY! :)

Ahh jazz I hadn't thought of this yet! You are lovely for sharing this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much jazz!

You're welcome guys! I'm glad to share anything I find

Junior Member Pod of Oceania Ichthus Mermaid's Avatar
    Has anyone used the holographic powders in silicone? does it actually work and do you still need to pigment the silicone? Thanks any advice will be appreciated!

Sent from my SM-A105G using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Ichthus Mermaid View Post
    Has anyone used the holographic powders in silicone? does it actually work and do you still need to pigment the silicone? Thanks any advice will be appreciated!

I have used holographic glitters and powders as top-coats on top of painted silicone. They look amazing over darker colors, and add a cool effect over lighter colors from the right angle. It really depends on how pigmented they are. If they're super fine, you can use them on their own, but most will need a base color underneath to be properly visible.

Junior Member Pod of Oceania Ichthus Mermaid's Avatar
    Thanks so much! do you use the powder in a paint base or do you use it straight in the mold before pouring the silicone? I will test my own samples but just need a bit of guidance to start me off...Thanks again!

I haven't had great luck putting pigments straight in the mold, or mixed with the silicone when I pour it. I use Dragonskin 10 thinned down with naptha or toluene, so it's about the consistency of heavy cream, and spray it through an air gun. You can also paint it on, though I'd recommend a thinner consistency so it doesn't get too thick over your scales.