Thread: Let's have a serious talk about seedy tail makers

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

Let's have a serious talk about seedy tail makers

Okay, I want to start this off right away, this is not directed at mertailor. We talk about mertailor all over the forum and I think when I make these posts everyone assumes I'm going after mertailor. I'm not. So let's get it out of the way right now, haha.

I have been getting so. many. emails. from total strangers, crying to me because fishbutts or merberry because they never got their tails, or their tails were total crap. (p.s. I started the fishbutts complaint thread if you havent already posted in it please go there: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...d&goto=newpost )

When I was at merfest, there was conversation about having a code of business ethics done up that all tail makers would sign. I think it opens a bit of a can of worms, but I do think tail makers need to be accountable too. I've seen it from both ends. I have been mega screwed over, but Im also friends with a tail maker too.

I get so many emails, so many FB messages, and so many comments to deviantart and youtube. SO MANY PEOPLE ARE AFRAID TO POST. I am making this post to encourage you. PLEASE. The community wont let any harm come to you. If you've been screwed over, please please post. Nothing will ever change if people don't post. You are not alone. You wont be bullied. And who knows? You might prevent it from happening to someone else.

The thing is, I can't do anything with the emails people give me. I am one person with no affiliation to these people. People email me because they saw the stink I made about my mertailor experience years ago... but even that didn't actually get me my money back or a tail. I can't do anything for you, you need to help yourself, and it's pulling me apart (and a few others who keep getting emails too) knowing what youre all going through and being silent.

So if one of these tail makers screwed you over, please speak up. Hop into their thread areas, say something. We're a COMMUNITY. We need to help each other.

I can't agree more with this. This has been an issue ever since tailmakers were around, sadly. People come to me with stories- some horror stories- of the issues they had with a tailmaker and/or with the tail itself. But then when I ask them to leave a review, or even just post about it on Tumblr or YouTube or wherever- they don't want to. I am honestly really confused about this. Perhaps it's BECAUSE we're such a tight community that people don't want to post? I know a lot of people are afraid that if they piss of a tailmaker, then they will get bullied, or even have their social or business opportunities limited by it. But that's why we're part of a community- we look after each other and call people out if they attempt to be a bully that way. We stand up for each other.

I just keep thinking that if no one ever says anything, this will continue to happen to other people. Fishbutts isn't the only tailmaker recently who has taken money and hasn't delivered a refund or a tail, nor are they the only ones to have a tail literally fall apart when they first hit water.

Also I just want to put this out there: If a tailmaker takes your money and doesn't give you a tail or a refund please LET THE ADMINS KNOW. We will blacklist them. That is completely unacceptable- in fact it's stealing. And we all know it crushes dreams in the process, too. We want to make sure that doesn't ever happen to anyone else, but we can't do anything if we don't know about it (and we can't go on just hearsay or he-said-she-said either).

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

This a contributing factor of why I don't have a realistic tail yet. I can't afford the big tail makers but I'm afraid of giving money out to the up and coming tail makers out there. Sad to see this a common scene in the fandom.

Literally the entire time I was at merfest I was getting messages about fishbutts and merberry

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Merman_Ryan View Post
    This a contributing factor of why I don't have a realistic tail yet. I can't afford the big tail makers but I'm afraid of giving money out to the up and coming tail makers out there. Sad to see this a common scene in the fandom.
    Really it's hard to trust any specific tailmaker at this point...they seem trustworthy but then again FishButts and Merberry both did when they were each fairly stable companies.

Not to bash anyone since I personally would trust Raven and some others too of course, but with the previous records really when you consider things it's kind of difficult.

Raina, nothing has been said about the last tails from Mermaids R US lately? We got some mermaids screwed over by them in the forum, didn't we?

Couple of threads as a reminder :

http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...ht=MERMAIDSRUS

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    I'm willing to take a risk or two on new tail makers. If they are shady, I would have no problem letting people know. I do tend to find people I can trust to work with for big projects though.

This is an issue in the internet community in general... no matter what it is, be it traditional art, mermaid tails, costumes, or digital goods, you are always putting your faith in whoever you're buying from. Take for example the accounts of people buying things on Ebay only to receive a picture of that item.

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

I totally understand your concern......honestly I would be the same way. Have you considered finding someone who is willing to take payments?

With the first tail I sold and the one I'm working on now, I just took a down payment to start the tail. It wasn't enough to cover all the cost of supplies, but the way I see it....if they're taking a risk by trusting a stranger, then so should I. plus I figured that I was pretty much guaranteed to get the $ anyway once they saw their finished tail......Mermaids tend to want their tails more than anything else!

i also made tailmaking threads so the customer knows that I am accountable to the whole community and not just to them. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be cautious when working with someone new, you should! Just remember that everyone has to start somewhere.

Yeah I was thinking specifically of fish butts and merberry because that's who I've been getting emails about. But the post on mernetwork about mermaidsrus are sad too

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Well, it would seem your only other option would be to make your own. It seems to me that some of the new tailmakers are proving they are quite capable and talented, and that they have/are learning from the mistakes of the less than reputable "experienced" tailmakers