Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musings on a handpainted neoprene/ sequin tail

Musings on a handpainted neoprene/ sequin tail

Taking a break from my silicone tail researching, I went and had a look at Hannah Fraser's and Mermaid Kariel's neoprene tails, and I have a renewed appreciation for them. I still want to make a silicone tail, but I am thinking it would be smarter to start with neoprene first. And I know I could make a pretty kick-ass neoprene tail if I put my mind to it. A lot less risky than diving head-first into the silicone. But I have a few questions that I haven't found the answers to in my search of the forums.

The type of neoprene
    - is it best to go with fabric-coated or raw neoprene? Which is best if you are going to paint it and out sequins on it? I really don't want to end up with my paint either washing out or being really dull and gross. My local spotlight has neoprene in green, which is the main colour of my tail (but sadly it is not enough to make a tail and I will probably have to buy more neoprene in a different colour Will this matter too much when it is painted?

Painting neoprene
    - The only thing I know about this is that Hannah Fraser uses screen printing inks (I assume on fabric-coated neoprene?). What type/ brand is best? What other types of paints have other people (successfully) used? How do you get around the fact that paint (and I assume screen printing ink too) needs to be heat set to achieve lasting results, yet heat ruins neoprene? Agh so many unanswered questions here! Also, I preferably don't want to have to order my ink/paint from overseas, so if anyone knows a brand that is sold here that I can get reasonably easily I would be eternally grateful!

Sequins - Living in Australia, this is a big problem. The only shop I know of that has sequins that I would want to use is Cartwright's sequins, but they charge THE EARTH to ship to Australia. Which is just ludicrous, considering all they are sending is a few sequins. Are there any other places I don't know about that sell sequins in scale-like shapes? I know there is Victor Enterprises but while their sequins are lovely, they are way too big for what I am wanting. I suppose I could try and organise a group order if anyone else in Australia is interested in Cartwrights sequins and wants to split shipping costs with me. Also, I know that sometimes the iridescent covering on sequins can come off so easily, and I really dont want my sequins falling apart as soon as I go for my first swim. How well have your sequin tails held up against the test of time/ the ocean/ things you sit on?

Thank you so much to anyone who attempts to answer my barrage of questions, I am grateful

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    I think Neoprene tails can be quite beautiful! I know Morticia Mermaid has made several for sale as well as for personal use! She's helping me assemble a frankentail out of neoprene scraps I think they are double-sided fabric coated neoprene? That's really all I know to use for Neoprene tails. I'm a big newb with all these synthetic materials, LOL!

Some fabric paints like Lumiere and such you can paint on with a brush, wait, and heat-set for permanence. I think you use a lower heat, or put an old shirt or something between the iron and neoprene?

Here's a link I found for inspiration: http://firepixiefashion.blogspot.com...g-mermaid.html

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Thanks for the link! I was under the impression though that neoprene could be damaged by even the slightest amount of heat, like for instance leaving it in the car on a hot day. I don't think we have that brand of fabric paint here (or at least I have never seen it) so I am going to ask at my local art supply shop and see what they say. Hopefully they will have some answers

Hmm, I'm not sure... I keep hearing that you're supposed to heat-set it, and I've even heard of people using a heat gun on it! O.O

But, I have yet to play with my paint and neoprene scraps... -_-; I'll see if I can steer Morticia in this direction, I really love her tails and they've held up well after plenty of use it seems

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Really? I have been going through threads on here and everything I have read says you can't use heat on neoprene *confused*

AH! Ok I'm finding a few helpful tidbits now.

http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...w-do-you-do-it

And from the external link I posted earlier, I found a few bits of info:

"The neoprene I'm using has a thin fabric coating bonded to it - it's not just plain neoprene. The paint bonds to the fabric coating really well."

"The non-fabric covered version is called neoprin which typically isn't recommended for tail-making. Neoprene is the good one."

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Well i found this, they used some sort of fixative with screen printing ink because heat had damaged their neoprene tail http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...=Heat+neoprene

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Morticia Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Morticia Mermaid On Twitter Add Morticia Mermaid on Facebook Add Morticia Mermaid on Google+
    Visit Morticia Mermaid's Youtube Channel
    Ok, first- you ladies might want to go over the initial post of this thread-> http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...ene-Vs-Neoprin

It goes over the differences between neoprENE and neoprIN.

Second- technically you CAN use heat on neoprene, you just have to be cautious of the intensity and duration. Too hot, or too long, and you risk the rubber melting.

I found that using an iron (steam function turned off) on the nylon setting worked well for heat setting paint. Again, being cautious to the intensity and duration. And the best way to tell if its set properly, I hate to say it, is a water test. Take a few drops of water (after the neoprene has cooled) onto the paint and rub it for a few seconds. It's the best and easiest way.
    I claim Pat 1001! ~Mermaid Morticia

Mermaid Tails and accessories available at ~ ♥Facebook- Siren's CallingGoogle+Website
    Morticia Mermaid FacebookGoogle+

Thanks Morticia! I hadn't seen that thread yet.

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Thank you so much Morticia you're a legend!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Ilyena's Avatar
    Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Visit Ilyena's Youtube Channel
    I have been heat setting my paint (Lumiere) onto the neoprene which is backed with fabric on both sides, but DO NOT put the iron directly onto the neoprene as it will ruin it. Put a piece of cotton or another durable fabric in between and I have the heat set just under meduim. Just remember to always test a patch on a scrap. I also took the piece I tried it out on into the shower (several times) and the paint has not budged.
    When Fantasy is Reality

Links: ^_^
    >
    Mermaid Ilyena >Adelaide Mermaids
    >
    Hippocampus Creations >Etsy

Awesome thank you! I think I will be using screen printing inks as I don't really like the "painted on" look and want to avoid paint cracking with the stretch of the fabric.

Add Ilyena on Facebook
    I'm not sure I follow with the 'painted on look'. I've also stretched the scrap I did and there's no cracking. As long as you're happy with the way you're colouring your tail, I'm sure it'll look awesome
    When Fantasy is Reality

>
    >

Actually, I think you can get a pretty nice "airbrush" effect with a brush - Maybe stippling it on instead of brushing it on? Some of Morticia's neoprene scale paint tests I've seen looked airbrushed, and she stippled it over her stencils.

Oh goodness though, an airbrush would make some effects SO MUCH EASIER than handpainting!

TwitterFacebookInstagram

By that I mean having raised bits of paint on it. Screen printing ink makes it look like the fabric was dyed that colour rather than looking like it has been painted, or so i have read. An airbrush sounds like a really cool idea too

Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Ohhh, I follow now. If you paint in thin layers it shouldn't have raised bits of paint, my tail doesn't. Airbrushes are awesome but expensive :/
    When Fantasy is Reality

>
    >

Aahh! This is what I LOVE about fabric tails in general, but especially neoprene tails - so many options!

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ilyena View Post
    Ohhh, I follow now. If you paint in thin layers it shouldn't have raised bits of paint, my tail doesn't. Airbrushes are awesome but expensive :/
    Ok great thank you! that is a good idea. Where did you buy your neoprene? I am having a rough time trying to find it in a light colour here in Australia. I found it in a light green at spotlight but they didn't have enough and aren't able to order any more in, which is annoying. And I have checked with Clark Rubber and they only have it in black, which I definitely do not want.

The stuff I have scraps of has one black side and white side :P

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Quote Originally Posted by Miyu View Post
    The stuff I have scraps of has one black side and white side :P
    Yep that is what I want. White would be ideal. I think at this stage I might have to bite the bullet and order it from overseas