Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why we don't advise full silicone tails for your first tail.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Granted, if you like lying on the bottom of the pool while blowing bubble rings a silicone tail definitely helps.
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Silicone is soooooo uncomfortable out of the water. And alot of times I am out in the hot Florida sun. I end up with a tail full of sweat.... *eeewwwww* It's also very tiring on my legs and ankles just supporting the weight of the fluke, and trying to flap it for the enjoyment of the humans.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Dan, will it really help weight me down a bit? I'd love to sit on the bottom and blow bubble rings, but it takes so much effort for me just to break that barrier of getting down past two feet or so :P

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Mind you, the first time I wore a silicone tail was MerFest. Finfolk has it with them, to take it in a bit. My first impressions were that it did add a bit of weight while in the water, but the competitor monofin more than compensated for keeping me afloat!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    My tail makes me float. Bouyancy depends on the person I think

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    My tail makes me float. Bouyancy depends on the person I think
    Agreed. My legs tend to sink like a stone on their own.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I used to have negative buoyancy as a kid...I would sink and could lay on the bottom of the pool like a shark. Now, I'm pretty neutral in the water (thank you adipose tissue!). My mother has to hold a cinderblock in the jacuzzi because she floats like a cork!

i panic a little too. I honestly feel better w/o a tail

Agreed with this topic!
    Silicone tail, not the best option though they look really neat. I panicked the first time I tried my fabric tail.. on land. You think it's no biggie having legs tied but for me it felt like som sort of survival instinct kicking in "set me freeee noo!!"
    It passes, and I don't feel like that anymore, but I never thought I would react that way
    Last edited by Mermaid Riia; 01-23-2014 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Spelling theehee..
    Mermaid Riia
    (Merenneito Riia)

Finland's first mermaid entertainer

www.merenneitoriia.fi

user formerly known as Riiarin

My first tail was a spandex holographic scaled fabric tail I made with a latex fluke. Then I had a silicone flipper for a bit. Now I am finally about to make my first silicone tail for myself after going through all the others. I am so ready for it and looking forward to it. Just the same, I will also make a silicone scaled bathing suit and monofin because I am certain I will absolutely not wear the whole tale every time I swim

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by ireneho View Post
    I think it would be too scary for beginners to wear a big realistic tail. They're beautiful to look at, but I wait till I can swim properly with a monofin, then try the tricks, then if i want to, invest in a proper tail. That will take years I think! But it will be fun!
    It kind of depends on what kind of person you are, too. Like me... I am a SCUBA diver and compared to the weight of my SCUBA tank a silicone tail doesn't seem so heavy. I am used to being in awkward situations trying to get in the water with heavy stuff strapped to me. Also, I am a cosplayer who regularly invests money in elaborate costumes instead of other things, and who is used to wearing very uncomfortable outfits for long periods of time simply for the pleasure of being in costume. So while I didn't totally skip the fabric tail stage, I did buy a silicone tail within five months of discovering mermaiding and I don't regret it at all. With my combination of SCUBA and costume experience, I knew what I was getting into. I probably won't swim in it more than once a week in summers and less in winters, but I simply really enjoy being in any kind of MAGNIFICENT costume and I always want nothing less than amazing when it comes to dressing up, which is what silicone tails are. So really I think it depends on who you are and why you want the tail. I love mermaids, but I don't live and breathe them like some people do. But dressing up and letting my creative geek run wild... That's me all day every day! So I am very happy with my silicone tail!
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Wow! So much swimming experience! Me, I can only do the Frog Paddle and Backstroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Seavanna View Post
    It kind of depends on what kind of person you are, too. Like me... I am a SCUBA diver and compared to the weight of my SCUBA tank a silicone tail doesn't seem so heavy. I am used to being in awkward situations trying to get in the water with heavy stuff strapped to me. Also, I am a cosplayer who regularly invests money in elaborate costumes instead of other things, and who is used to wearing very uncomfortable outfits for long periods of time simply for the pleasure of being in costume. So while I didn't totally skip the fabric tail stage, I did buy a silicone tail within five months of discovering mermaiding and I don't regret it at all. With my combination of SCUBA and costume experience, I knew what I was getting into. I probably won't swim in it more than once a week in summers and less in winters, but I simply really enjoy being in any kind of MAGNIFICENT costume and I always want nothing less than amazing when it comes to dressing up, which is what silicone tails are. So really I think it depends on who you are
    and why you want the tail. I love mermaids, but I don't live and breathe them like some people do. But dressing up and letting my creative geek run wild... That's me all day every day! So I am very happy with my silicone tail!

It would definitely help to be scuba trained and used to that kind of thing. I am like you in that I am used to wearing elaborate clothes and dressing up and all that (I am not a cosplayer but I do wear lolita fashion and Victorian gothic stuff -corsets and whatnot). I would go for it and make a silicone tail if it weren't for the fact that I am desperately saving up to travel, and that is the most important thing to me, and I want to use my tail to get gigs and stuff that will help me save up for my travel. I figure I can do that with a neoprene tail, there are other mers who do that extremely successfully, and I am confident enough in my artistic skills to know I can make a really good neoprene tail. And making one is not going to take up all of my savings like a silicone tail would.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Kaila Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Kaila Mermaid On Twitter Add Kaila Mermaid on Facebook
    Follow Kaila Mermaid on Tumblr
    Even without a tail, I sink like a rock in fresh water haha. No weight belt is needed here! Good thing I've found that treading water in a tail is much easier than without. I followed the whole fabric first idea and I can honestly say I'm glad I did. My poor fabric tail is somewhat worn at the heels and has a slight tear on the fluke. As far as the heat issue goes, that's why I keep my pirate on-hand with a spray bottle when doing dry events! Umbrellas help also (hooray sun allergies).

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Seavanna, everything you said! I am so very used to cosplay/costumes/Victorian-style clothing... I am quite used to being uncomfortable to look good! A good investment is worth the joy you feel, whether it's in how you look or how you swim or how the kiddos react

...And, you know, I'm not about to just attempt to swim solo in the deep end by myself my first time in a silicone tail :P I know I'll prefer my fabric tails for swimming for a while.

Though, helping Morticia paint this neoprene tail... OMG it's so awesome I very much want one. I love how neoprene takes the paint, and painted scales and sequins can both look great together on neoprene It can make for a super-realistic gorgeous tail as well... I'm just worried about how much MORE that will make me float, LOL!

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

OK. My 2 cents here...

So most dont know it but I actually had an unpainted neoprene tail for a while. Not many picutres of it. only one of me in it exsists I think. After that I got a latex tail from Mike Van Daal..just before he quit doing them. I couldnt swim in it due to some isssues. So I trained with my wave and the neoprene for a 1yr or so before Merman Jesse started making his silicone tails. So I now have had my silicone tail for almost 2yrs. It at first weighed around 50lbs. We changed the fluke the first time and it went down to 45lbs.. eneded up redoing fluke again due to some issues with the silicone and it dropped to 38lbs.

BUT thats 38lbs out of water. Yes heavy but I lug it around myself alot and have gotten used to it now. Im alot stronger now too. In the water though.. its nearly neutrally bouyant. I still wear 6lbs weighted belt when I swim with it.

Now that being said. It was still a big shock swimming in that tail the first few times. It swims so different from a plain monofin and even the neoprene tail.
    I trained alot too. 4 times a week for an hour or more.

I now train in tail half of the time. I noticed an increase in my speed and breath hold, even the distance i can swim has become easier out of tail.

So.. yeah.. do go for broke right out of the gate. Work up to it. Get stronger in the right areas. Train.. train some more and then train some more.

Hope that helps a little

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    then there's annoying people like my baby sister, who have never swam in any tail, and put on a 50lbs silicone tail, and do tricks I couldnt dream of after years in my tail... LOL

My fishbutt is a neoprin/silicone tail and boy it heats up fast during dry events, it's nice though when I'm swimming at night or in colder water because it keeps me warm and toasty on the bottom half of my body.
    "It is your choice to hide in a shell, or to be shrimply fintastic by being yourself"
    www.mermaidharmony.com
    MermaidHarmony@gmail.com Facebook:Mermaid Harmony Twitter: @MermaidHarmony

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Oh and I have heard that even some pro mers like to practice in fabric tails. They're lighter and cheaper so you can practice tricks and things easier. So it stands to reason, even if you plan on getting a silicone tail or you have one payed for even, you should make/buy a fabric one.