Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why we don't advise full silicone tails for your first tail.

People have had trouble with fiberglass monofins when they've never swam in a monofin before.... But the foil or wave/rapid aren't so pricey and people have less problems learning in them.

Something to keep in mind I think, because that way you don't lose $300USD on a monofin when you could save that money to go towards the actual tail. A foil only runs about $50USD and the wave/rapid only a bit more than that if I recall.

That's what I would suggest, because it's a much smaller chunk out of the tail fund, and you're also not left hoping your tail maker will agree to put an old used monofin in a brand new tail, and you're not stuck paying shipping and handling fees if they do agree to it.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

The prices on swimoutlet.com right now for the rapid almost have me buying a second one so I'd feel comfortable modifying the shape on mine.

That's a good idea, Anahita! That was something else that I was sort of worrying about, whether or not a tail maker might refuse to make a tail with a used monofin. $50 sounds pretty reasonable in comparison, and it would probably be better anyways to have a brand-new monofin in the tail itself (lest the monofin cracks, like what happened in Raina's tail I believe). I love getting your guys' opinions.

Yeah, it's always best for a brand new monofin in the tail. That way, in addition to lessening the risk of it cracking from previous wear, it also cuts down on the risk of the silicone not curing because of some outside contaminant. Silicone can be REALLY weird about stuff sometimes.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

Thanks for this I am starting out with a fabric tail but with the benefits of mermaid and helping to flatten my stomach I honestly think that I will really enjoy Mermaid for many years to come!

But I am still going to save for a silicone tail down the track for sure as even though I am a beginner I am pretty certain in my mind that I want to stick around and do this so much plus it is a good way to make new crafty friends with my new hobby!

But thanks a ton I am definately starting out in a Fabric tail hoping to go silicone down the track!
    User formerly known as "Mermaid Rebecca".

ETSY PAGE!
    MERMAID SILVERLILLY FACEBOOK PAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I talk a lot about the pros and cons of each type of tail in my book too, and I really agree with this.

Some of the threads I've written on the topic are related too: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...our-first-tail

I think the odd person really can handle a silicone tail first, but in my experience TOO MANY PEOPLE have the incorrect expectations with their tails. I can't tell you how many complaints I've heard from tail makers that people complain their silicone tail is too heavy, when that tail is actually the standard weight. People throwing fits cuz they dont do their home work and have no clue what they've bought and complaining like it's a fault of the tail makers -_-
    I'm a beginner with a partial silicone (the fabric didn't appeal and I felt I had enough skill for the partial) and I agree with you on all that. Blaming the tailmakers is wrong since they work hard on a product you ordered that can be considered a piece of art in it's own right. Hopefully the fits don't happen too often. :P
    "To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong." -- Joseph Chilton Pearce

Ok this is usefull. Any idea where I could go buy the materials to make one or buy one online for cheap??

the search bar is your friend
    user formerly known as mermaidofthelabyrinth

Well, you're not going to find a good silicone tail for cheap
    You're new to MerNwtwork, yeah? Are you new to being a mermaid as well?
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Yes I am new to Mernetwork and I am saving for a silicone tail currently, and yes I am new to being a Mermaid...well my alias is a mermaid-siren hybrid but ya know XD.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia The Siren View Post
    Yes I am new to Mernetwork and I am saving for a silicone tail currently, and yes I am new to being a Mermaid...well my alias is a mermaid-siren hybrid but ya know XD.
    Sylvia, something you could do is checkout the classified sub-forum on this board. There are a lots of people selling their old tails for, obviously, a more afordable price then buying a new one. Although you won't get to customize your own dream tail, you will be able to get a gorgeous tail for a decent price.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    ^ This is good advice!

Also check out the review forum. A good option might Mertailor's partial silicone tails but he has mixed reviews so you'll have to decide yourself if you want to order from him.

I was totally thinking about getting a silicone tail for my very first one. I looked at the Basic Silicone (Mertailor) and fell in love, but now, I am reading so many horrible things about Eric AND his tails!

I suppose a fabric tail wouldn't be too bad. Some of my mermaid idols (Little Orca and Seraphina Suds!) have had fabric tails that, while unrealistic, were still made magical by the wearer.
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

There are some really great fabric tails out there, and you don't have to sacrifice realism entirely. Obviously you won't be able to get the level of realism that many silicone tails offer, but you'd be surprised what a good paint job can do for a 'plain old fabric tail'. So I wouldn't entirely give up on getting something of the look you want. And as you said, it is very possible to rock a fabric tail and make it look like a million bucks. Plus, you can always upgrade to something super swanky later on.

"Something super swanky"...I can dig it! My mom owes me $150, which would be perfect for a tail...if she would only pay me back!
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

To me on land you get caught up in wanting your tail to look realistic, but once you get in the water in that fabric tail you care a lot less about what it looks like and you care more about how flippin' fun it is to swim in a tail!

A lot of fabric tails you can buy have printed scales on them to make them realistic. You could get one of those and paint it some to make it even more realistic looking.
    This site is great for some unique spandex to make a tail out of: http://spandexworld.com/?gclid=CMWn0...FRCqaQod47cHpg - Ooh look right now you can get 15% off of your order!

Here is my spandex tail. It isn't my dream tail but I definitely love it and have a blast swimming in it.
    Name:  IMG_1227.JPG
Views: 786
Size:  508.0 KB
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    *applause* yes. I used to worry about realism in my fabric tail but really it is just a ton of fun once you get in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    After my first tail debacle I just bought a monofin and ended up having a ton of fun in that. Earlier this year I got my very first fabric tail to play with since it was starting to get hot and I was still waiting for my silicone one. So far I've loved my fabric tail. True, I complain about the monofin every time I use it because it's got no push compared to my finis trainer but it's reassured me that I'll at least be able to deal with the restrictions of the silicone tail to some extent.

But I think even when I get my silicone tail I'll still use the fabric one for some things. A big fluke is just not practical in a small pool.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

^^^
    this. Even though I love my partial silicone tail, I still use my neoprene one more often because my pool is so small, and a big fluke can be a pain in tight spaces. My silicone one only gets pulled out of I'm swimming in a larger body of water.
    I always tell people that they should consider where they'll be swimming when choosing a tail, because that can have a huge affect in how much use you get out of it.

quick question about the flexibility of silicone: how well does it stretch over your bum, knees and ankles - or is that something you should really avoid? Or, could you allow some extra slack? I'm about ready to upgrade from fabric to silicone and that's one of my concerns. Then, you mention the fluke weighing a ton and i'm starting to go "ah!"