Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ANIMAL PLANET mermaid program

well, I think they wanted to do some science hook-- and their best bet for any interest was to make it very different from Ariel.
    And the Aquatic Ape theory was already a theory some scientists have posed, and not having to do extra work by coming up with another theory was probably lookin good. Tho I think it's kinda cool to see someone do a show on the theory... see it acted out

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidLanai View Post
    Yes i did watch it, and it does have some interesting points, it is a possibility. I dont doubt there are any strange creatures out there, sailors talked about sea monsters seen til this day. my grandfather who was a fisherman recalled a story of seeing a creature with a long body off Vieques Puerto Rico.. I love Cryptozoology so much, this was an interesting vid.
    AHHH!!!!! I've never ever came across someone else who even knew what Cryptozoology is, let alone loves it too!!!!! When I was in school I told my job counselor that I wanted to be a cryptozoologist but she didn't even know what it was. After she looked it up, she said that it is just a hobby, and that I needed to find a real job.
    It must be so nice to have a grandfather like that, lucky. lol

*I have never come across*

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Elle's Avatar
    Follow Elle On Twitter
    Visit Elle's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained! View Post
    merboy78xy here is the page for the Dragons: A Fantasy Made Real show
    http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/dragons/
    You can view this one on youtube as well

Part 1

Part 2
    "Will you walk a little faster?" said a Whiting to a Snail
    "There's a Porpoise right behind us and he's treading on my tail!"

Tail making progress http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-making-a-tail

my friend almost died laughing when he saw the mermaid thing on tv. he watched it, knowing I liked mermaids, and then came up and asked me how I made the transition from aquatic ape to human. he caught me off guard so I asked him what he was talking about. he told me not to worry, Animal Planet figured it out and I didn't have to hide anymore. that's when it dawned on me he must have seen that. to this day, he still asks how my skin isn't blue
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

Well, Gem Stone, if you are in cooler water long enough, your lips start turning blue.

That actually happened to my brother. We were scuba diving and at first I thought it was because if the water and shade but when we surfaced his lips were blue. He couldn't stop shivering for an hour.
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

i think they had a disclaimer at the end that everything in the mockumentary is fictional and only used very little fact *aquatic ape theory, the 'bloop'*
    a science fiction movie disguised as a documentary. how clever!

..............im not a skeptic or a believer but, here is what I think.... how do you know god real you can't see him, he can't exist, you can't see your brain, and it exists? take everything with a grain of sugar, a grain of salt, a spoon of honey and a spoon of vinegar, if any of you had actually gone to the website, you would have seen it being blocked by the u.s government which is kinda weird, because when a government deals with this type of situation they just let it set out and sit out and let it just sit there. so they are hiding something in my opinion, also who would want to waste all the money on a fake website? imo, anything is possible, until completely proven impossible..... dinosaurs don't exist, the lochness doesn't exist, and dragon's couldn't have existed.... the reality is back in the day, fairytales were mixed, hallucinations were common place, and a lot of aquatic mammal tails could of been mistaken for a mermaid's tail, but say if the mammal theory is correct, then the story taveled by word or mouth and got corrupt, how do you describe it, the body of a woman, and the tail of the wish. Liars were common, so were cheats, con-artist, and swindalers, so yeah. a dragon could of been a dinosaur that lived someone, it's possible, or they could have been living, and someone killed one, and the tail spread, and got more more crazy. it breathed fire, it could fly! ridiculous if you ask me..... just a bunch of liars trying to sound cooler, or something, or make something out of nothing........

if you remember the unicorn, it was actually a rhino, but word sprayed by word of mouth, and someone artist made a statue thinking, hmm it must look like this! so everyone though a unicorn was a horse with a horn, and not a rhino, and word spread through mouth and century..... said the unicorn had magical heeling properties you name it.......

Wittle, what website are you talking about?

Replying to an old thread, I know. I just thought I would share some knowledge. This show (as we know) did have a disclaimer at the end. There is such a thing as "the bloop" but one generally accepted theory is that it was an equipment glitch. Maybe an air bubble trapped inside the system that finally got free and created that odd noise. Nearly everything else is just a "what if" scenario using "the bloop" as a base point for the plot line. Yes, some whale beachings are blamed on military equipment testings. We are constantly trying to devise ways to keep ahead of the enemy and detecting enemy vessels from far away is a great advantage. When we realize something like that has impacted the environment in a negative fashion we typically try to work the kinks out before using it again so we can use the equipment without injuring the wild life. We take painstaking precautions to try not and impact the ocean too much as it requires much man power and resources to respond to an environmental incident. Also, most of us out there actually care about the environment. Even us wrench turners down in the dark hot dungeon referred to as an engine room.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    I have watched this doc and felt it quiet real, but coming from me i'm probably one of the most spirtual person you could meet. what also bothers me is the lack of opened minded people on here you either BELIEVE in merfolk or not, if you think that just for one minute that they arn't real then your mind will turn against you you will convince yourlsef that they are not real. the scientific stuff behind this doc was extreamly interesting. now when it comes to the bloop, you have to remember that the sound was recorded in 1997 then again in 2004 well recorded in the water the other was also recoreded in africa by a different scientest as it was stated. the beachngs that occured in 2004 were also in aus, now we humans just need to realise that the US navy is the ONES that cause the beachings and yet they denied it and that us humans are the only threat to all things living on earth. now in the doc when they played back the recording of the whales. could anyone else feel their pain? I acutally was in tears. were not the intelligent species were the F*** species. open your minds as well as your hearts......

Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of The South
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident True View Post
    I have watched this doc and felt it quiet real, but coming from me i'm probably one of the most spirtual person you could meet. what also bothers me is the lack of opened minded people on here you either BELIEVE in merfolk or not, if you think that just for one minute that they arn't real then your mind will turn against you you will convince yourlsef that they are not real. the scientific stuff behind this doc was extreamly interesting. now when it comes to the bloop, you have to remember that the sound was recorded in 1997 then again in 2004 well recorded in the water the other was also recoreded in africa by a different scientest as it was stated. the beachngs that occured in 2004 were also in aus, now we humans just need to realise that the US navy is the ONES that cause the beachings and yet they denied it and that us humans are the only threat to all things living on earth. now in the doc when they played back the recording of the whales. could anyone else feel their pain? I acutally was in tears. were not the intelligent species were the F*** species. open your minds as well as your hearts......

I'm sorry, I can't quite understand what you're trying to say...

Facebook: Mermaid Moonflower 月 花
    *The user formerly known as FlowerBite*

^ same, I'm not sure i'm following on that part.

I think true thinks that it was a real documentary :| That bloop can be anything. As far as everyone else knows theres very little evidence that mers exist... Aside from the fact that every culture and race has some form of mers long before these countries came into contact with each other.

But if that bloop really is a mer, why haven't we seen it yet if it's been communicating with whales??

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I've seen that "mockumentary".
    It's fantastic, everyone should watch it for the incredible CGI alone.

The Bloop is quite real, and the name already indicates they thought it was a glitch BUT,
    if you listen really closely to it, it's so intricate and modulated.
    I cannot believe it's technical.

My bet is it is indeed a yet undiscovered deep sea species (there are probably tons;
    they only lately discovered giant squids and kalmars, for ocean's sake),
    and yes, humans definitely spent a long evolutionary stage at the sea-
    just look how even the smallest children are drawn to the water, and the fascination it holds for nearly everyone!-,
    but I do NOT believe there is a yet undiscovered, humanoid species out there responsible for it.

If there ever existed a creature like that, humans would have driven it to extinction long ago.
    Our nearest relatives in the sea are probably dolphins (and look how they are treated in certain countries).

Didn't the mockumentary also mention that ten new species of whales have been discovered in the last few years? WHALES. It just shows how much there is left to learn about our wonderful planet. That gives me hope. There's still so much left to discover.

The problem is that it is a mockumentary, mixing facts like the bloop with fiction without telling the audience which is which. There are a lot of mysteries in the sea, unfortunately, this show just muddied the water.
    Alveric

For my novel, The Accidental Mermaid, go to http://mermaidsofxanadu.com/
    Coming in 2014: ​Spindrift

alveric, they put disclaimer at the end of the mockumentary that all of it was fictional and that only the bloop recordings were real.