Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Health Risks When Mermaiding in POOLS

Yup it's all new and shiny! It confused me at first lol

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I use Thursday Plantation Feminine Cream, sometimes the wash, depends which one of them I can find at the shops first.

Its gentle, soothing, doesn't smell too strange. Since starting swimming, I find I am more prone to the itchy dance...

http://www.amazon.com/Tree-Feminine-.../dp/B007ZR4WFK
    http://www.amazon.com/Thursday-Plant...+feminine+wash

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    The itchy dance lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I really should stop reading this thread, or I won't dare to ever swim again

because of my rheumatism and polyarthritis, I enjoy swimming in the warmer leisure pools
    (more precisely, if I spend too much time in the cooler tank pools, I get lots of pain problems and inflammations), problem is that opposed to, say, thermal baths where small children are prohibited, in my local pool all leisure pools, including the thermal relaxation quiet area, are filled with infants and children.

The guards are exremely lazy and inattentive.
    There have been hundreds of almost-accidents due to teens and kids jumping in from the sides instead of using the stairs/ladders (which is forbidden by the rules), but no one has ever said anything to the offenders.

I've never seen a pool technician guy there either, it's the guards that take samples once per day or so.
    I'm really not sure whether I can risk swimming in such a thermal pool when infants are allowed in

The situation you described is fairly standard for leisure pools; we each rotated between about seven stations and tended to lifeguard only our own. I was considered the swiftest to spot any potentially-dangerous situation (even outside my immediate area), and while I'm glad that we didn't have such rules regarding jumping (as opposed to diving) into pools, I do recall one potential "spinal" (broken neck/back) suffered by a child 15 minutes before closing time...and the nearby lifeguard hadn't even noticed it until I pointed it out.

If the thermal pool of your leisure pool is large enough to allow half-lane swimming, you might be able to swim therein, but if you are using a tail/monofin you should ask the lifeguards to cordon off an area for you. Good luck!
    Because you can be a mermaid and have an immortal soul!

COMING SOMETIME (THERE'S NO HURRY):
    MY TAIL; Merbella Studios and Tia Michelle Pesando's Collaboration,
    THE FIRE ANGEL SEA DRAGON a.k.a.
    THE MER ON FIRE​!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    The itchy dance lol.

They make chlorine test strips don't they? It would be great to bring them with you everytime you go the pool, that way you know the pool guy is doing their job! So if there is too much chlorine you know about it, and can possibly say something.

I have picked up 8 kids in the process of drowning from the bottom of pools right in front of lifeguards

Quote Originally Posted by Milieu View Post
    They make chlorine test strips don't they? It would be great to bring them with you everytime you go the pool, that way you know the pool guy is doing their job! So if there is too much chlorine you know about it, and can possibly say something.
    Was thinking of doing this, especially after the chemically burned eyes incident.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Add Echidna on Facebook
    I have picked up 8 kids in the process of drowning from the bottom of pools right in front of lifeguards
    I'm not surprised

I've spent several minutes underwater lying on the bottom (not moving), and no guard showed their face.
    If I should ever suffer a blackout, I'd be dead before anyone would even notice

but like Michelle said; injuries from people jumping into pools (and when I say "jumping", I mean diving in from above without looking whether someone's down there where they will land) is another significant health risk when swimming in pools!

while I'm worried about Crypto & Co in the warm pools, an injury from someone leaping in or smashing their heel down into my face while I try to pass by under them is far more probable.

I have cracked my head bad swimming and it is terrifying.

I assume you didn't mean simultaneously, but with some life guards I have known even that​ wouldn't surprise me....

THE MER ON FIRE​!

I've picked up two at once. By the time I had gone down, picked up both kids on each hip, and put them up on the side of the pool, the lifegaurd just jumped in. One had fallen into the pool and the other jumped in to save him but the kid was too heavy and they both sunk. Both 5 years old. they were okay but 1 was quite traumatized.

I keep wanting to picture you having done that in your tail...lol That seems fairly standard reaction time for the average life guard; how long would you estimate that the first kid was under water?

THE MER ON FIRE​!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Every pool should by law be required to occupy a mermaid

waaay better than sloppy guards sitting in their lil' glass cabin twiddling thumbs.

I did do it all in my tail lol

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    Mermaids to the rescue!

Sent from my Huawei-H867G using Tapatalk

I know during my last gig, there were maybe 20-30 kids, and I was doing just fine until the very end when I went to save one who accidentally went under the water. When I lifted them up, they coughed all that water and spit right into my face. I was sick for like a month after that. I have to figure out how to combat little kid germs because they always seem to get me sick, and I can't do sinus rinses. (tried it once, it was awful.) :P

I did do it all in my tail lol

I must admit, I had a feeling that was the case. At least now I know that I would have spotted the kids in time; I would have jumped​ at the chance to life guard a mermaid!

THE MER ON FIRE​!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla of Duluth View Post
    I was sick for like a month after that. I have to figure out how to combat little kid germs
    that's why I try to keep distance to small kids by default, and anyone who is coughing, sneezing, or blowing snot into the water.
    did you know an adult's cough/sneeze range distributes germs in an 8 meter radius?

it's just tricky if the whole pool is full of such lovable creatures (the guys picking nose and then dropping the loot into pool are also one of my favourites).
    or if you have a gig of course.