Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sewing neoprene

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MerAnthony's Avatar
    Add MerAnthony on Facebook
    Progress has been put on hold. I just got off the phone with the UPS store an they told me that my order hasn't even been shipped out yet. As of yesterday it has been 2 weeks sence I ordered my neoprene. I am not a happy camper.
    Be Happy Swim Free

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Ilyena's Avatar
    Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Visit Ilyena's Youtube Channel
    that really sucks. Hopefully it's shipped soon.
    When Fantasy is Reality

Links: ^_^
    >
    Mermaid Ilyena >Adelaide Mermaids
    >
    Hippocampus Creations >Etsy

The other day after I got off the phone with UPS store I contacted Foamorder where I ordered my neoprene from an they told me that UPS lost my neoprene. They said that they were going to put a trace on the package to see where it went an they put in a new order for me with the same stuff. An also to investagate where had my order gone to. Now I have to wait some more for my neoprene to arrive. Maybe I'll get lucky an both orders will arrive an I have both orders of neoprene . An that would give me 28 feet of neoprne to play with. LOL
    Be Happy Swim Free

Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Oh that would be good. I had a dress lost in the main and they sent it out again, but the first ended up arriving too . I modified the second dress, so its a win win. You'll win if the order gets there and win again if the lost one does as well ^_^
    When Fantasy is Reality

>
    >

All I can do is hope. An maybe I will get lucky. Who knows? LOL
    Be Happy Swim Free

yay! Let us know about the sewing too. I have a pair of neoprene socks that were done this way and was wanting to do the same to my tail if I could.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Delphine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyena View Post
    I think there would be the same problem with one seem in neoprene that people have had with one seem in silicone, it just doesn't curve properly...then again for a male figure it may work as guys are more straighter. I think Delphine made a silicone tail with one seem down the back. Not to discourage you or anything, just an opinion from what I have read.
    Ilyena, you are right, I did do a silicone tail with on seam down that back. And, haha, I don't recommend it, mers! It's extremely hard to get the right shape with only one seam with work with. (I literally fought with the silicone, but it'd be probably still a pain with neoprene). I'll be doing a whole new technique for whenever Tail II will be made. Anyway, interesting about gluing techniques. Good luck, MerAnthony! Keep experimenting!

Update with experimenting with glue for neopren. Over the past few days I have tried other glue to see what works an what doesn't I tried rubber tire cement for repairing bike tires an you would think that it would work because tire rubber an neoprene are very similar. The tire cement doesn't even hold. I also tried rubber contact cement.( the yellow stuff with a brush on a cap) Tht works alittle better for hold but as it should. It worked just to hold it, but when I started to pull it came apart. Now as for making a tail wit one seam Is a great idea but I see to many problems. 1) you have to make sure that you get the body measurments perfect. 2) When gluing eveything together there will be minor stress on the seam when tring to glue the seam. An you really don't want that. So I gave up that idea of one seam. It would be nice, but a pain in the butt.
    Be Happy Swim Free

I question that's a little off topic, but maybe not too much. If I plan on making a neoprene tail, how many sequins would I need to cover it from my feet to the waist? I don't want scales on my fluke....

I am not really sure on how many you would need, but from what I was told by Mermaid Bonnie she had well over 5000 sequins on her tail. If that gives you any idea. But also it depends on what size sequins you plan on using. So I would also guess it really depends on the size of the sequins as to how many you will need. It is always better to have to many than not enough. I hope this helps.
    Be Happy Swim Free

Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Maybe find one of the various sequin tail threads, they usually have approximates of how many they used, it varies with size of the sequin
    When Fantasy is Reality

>
    >

UPDATE. My neoprene is to arrive today an some more tests can begin an if tests go well the tail will start.
    Be Happy Swim Free

Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Did it arrive?

Sorry been busy with other stuff. Yes my neoprene has arrived an sence then I have been doing test after test. I figured out that I can get fabric to stick to smoothskin neoprene by roughing the skin. E6000 will work after the skin is roughed. I still have wait a little bit. My mother is planning on buying a serger sewing machine off ebay. I think now that she is going to do that I wil glue the seams then take the serger an sew them together as well. (less chance of pulling apart) I can somewhat hide the thred with paint. I have my pattern both paintwise an tailwise. But before my mom get the serger I need a few more supplies first before putting the tail togeter. Neoprene cement, an some more of the fabric that I have for the fluke. Oh an if you ever need paint for tails or what ever look at this. http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1686882-AA.shtml
    Be Happy Swim Free

UPDATE: I have finished a tail design an soon I will be starting my tail.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Be Happy Swim Free

Add Ilyena on Facebook
    I like the pattern

Whoah...8 tubs of paint for $20....why can't the prices here be like that

Ilyena They are the prices for online ordering so the prices might be the same. It never hurts to ask about shipping.
    Be Happy Swim Free

Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Shipping wasn't that bad, there was a chart. Stores here don't often have that kind of paint, so I order online from a place in Australia and each bottle is about $9, but with that I have the ability to pick the exact colours I want without having to order others.

so love your new tail design MerAnthony your going rock at NCMerfest 2015 cant wait to see you in it

UPDATE: As of today I will be getting a serger sewing machine all the tests are done I shoul be starting my tail very shortly
    Be Happy Swim Free