Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Socially Awkward Mers?

Because of my meds I haven't had a good cry in years. Sometimes you do need a good cry.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

Visit MermaidMermeron(Cameron)'s Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Muir View Post
    Is anyone else socially awkward and has some trouble making friends? I tend to miss out on a lot of social cues so because of that I only have a few close friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    I've never been the social type, so I don't have many friends. The few that I do, like me for me. Never been comfortable with people I don't know in a face to face situation. I'm ok when on the internet, I have the screen to hide behind! Not saying I'm a hideous monster or anything like that, just not comfortable in social situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Crazy View Post
    I believe I am quite shy, which some say is social awkwardness but I argue that I'm not awkward with friends at all, just strangers. I also find I have trouble making friends. I don't know, I try but I seem to like people a lot more than they like me. So I feel a little rejected when they don't put in effort to see me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorelei View Post
    Yes. Exactly the reason why I don't post on here much, and when I do, my anxiety kicks up for about 15 minutes afterwards and I have to calm myself down (makes me wonder why I still post, guess it's because they're still some understanding people on here that are fun to talk to). I truly only have 4 or 5 friends and I'm only really close to two of them because I currently live with them and the rest are scattered across the world far away. It's rough and a bit lonely, but that's the life of a cursed antisocial mer.
    Hopefully it'll get easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Cecelia View Post
    Me! Me me me!!! I am the most socially awkward person I know. However I am NOT awkward online :P or maybe I am and just haven't noticed yet.... hmmm... I'm the person who in social situations would rather sit with friends or alone (usually alone :/ ) than meet new people. I'm basically completely lost without my friends, which is kinda sad... I get overlooked a lot when I'm with my friends, like if I say something funny then no one laughs but someone else says it and everyone thinks it's the funniest thing in the world. It's annoying, but I'm too awkward to call them out on it
    I am not socially awkward online but I am in real life

I'm on the introverted side of the moon, but when I feel full of energy some people misunderstand me and think I'm an extroverted girl...

~Neerai Every, the Pirate Mermaid~

I have social anxiety, which is hard but sometimes I think it can make things easier to be able to chalk it all up to a condition. Sometimes I think I'm lucky to have my diagnosis rather than sitting there wondering what's wrong with me. I'm so much more eloquent over social media though, so that's nice.
    Speaking of being socially awkward, all of my friends know I'm a mermaid but for some reason I can't bring myself to tell my parents. I got my tail a few days ago... I guess I'm just scared they'll laugh? Well, my mom's taking me to the pool tomorrow so I suppose she'll find out then lol. Or... maybe I'll tell her now. Aaah social anxiety sucks. <end rant>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Social anxiety is the worst. I remember one day I was just unable to enter a bakery just because I didn't met anybody inside before. It was just buying some bread... but I can't. I had a panic attack. Was the worst sensation ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Dragon View Post
    Speaking of being socially awkward, all of my friends know I'm a mermaid but for some reason I can't bring myself to tell my parents. I got my tail a few days ago... I guess I'm just scared they'll laugh? Well, my mom's taking me to the pool tomorrow so I suppose she'll find out then lol. Or... maybe I'll tell her now.
    Update: I just told my mom and she thought it was awesome.

Your mom is awesome too!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Dragon View Post
    Update: I just told my mom and she thought it was awesome.

I am extreamly socially awkward it’s not bad when I am on the other side of a screen, but it’s really bad in person especially since I am bad at pick up and interpreting social clues. I often miss when people are trying to have a conversation to be friends and when guys hit on me to. It’s also bad cause I can’t tell when people are mad at me. The only person I can some what understand is my boyfriend who I’ve been with for about 9 years now !!!

Sent from my iPad using MerNetwork mobile app